I was hoping to go cycling today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Username

I was hoping to go cycling today

Post by Username »

but didnt. P down all dam day. Who wants to go road or mountain bike riding while drenched! Anyone else feel their life is ruined by this country's atrocious (albeit mundane) weather? Does my head in, its all the time. Its not like crappy weather is an occasional thing here in the UK and I hate being indoors AND sober.
meic

Re: I was hoping to go cycling today

Post by meic »

We had a whole weekend without any rain, even some sunshine.
I guess we are owed a week of rain for that.
The week after that is forecast to be dry, of course predictions that far ahead are pretty worthless.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Username wrote:but didnt. P down all dam day. Who wants to go road or mountain bike riding while drenched! Anyone else feel their life is ruined by this country's atrocious (albeit mundane) weather? Does my head in, its all the time. Its not like crappy weather is an occasional thing here in the UK and I hate being indoors AND sober.

I'd tentatively suggest your problems are deeper than the weather.
I'd also suggest to go for a ride anyway,whatever the weather.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

What annoys me is when it is dry all day, like yesterday, but then rains from 6pm until 8pm, when you planned to do an evening ride. Or when it's dry all week, when you are at work, then it rains at the weekend. Or it's a lovely weekend on the one weekend that you planned a non-cycling trip to London!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've reckoned this whole winter pretty mild and pleasant. Maybe I've had my head in the sand. Except that desert sand is the one thing we haven't got in this country!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'd rather be riding my bike in the rain than sitting in my office, poking a keyboard. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

On the whole we have had a pretty good few weeks, and have managed to get in quite a bit of cycling on most of the days planned. I know the weather has been pretty good because my wet weather plans are well behind... or rather getting decorating done is a slow process in our household...

For what it's worth I have had 2 days of getting wet almost a fortnight ago, since then it has been dry oop norf until yesterday evening...

Anyway off to Mallorca tomorrow.... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

we get rain australia gets lethal wildlife, it's swings and roundabouts :mrgreen:
PH

Post by PH »

Buy a waterproof and go ride :wink:
Username

Post by Username »

meic wrote:We had a whole weekend without any rain, even some sunshine.
I guess we are owed a week of rain for that.
The week after that is forecast to be dry, of course predictions that far ahead are pretty worthless.

I work weekends, fortunately I cycled to work tho. Its also an off road route which is a titanic incentive to cycle in itself.
Badger_Pete

Post by Badger_Pete »

I had a nice 38 mile ride late afternoon into the evening over the south edge of the Yorkshire Wolds. About half the time I was out it was raining, but my waterproof wear kept me nice and dry :)

A big part of why I enjoy cycling is been outdoors and close to nature; watching the landscape, flora and fauna change through the seasons. And in the UK that does of course involve been out in the rain on more than a few occasions :lol: .
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I like riding in the rain.....NO DOGS !!!...... :mrgreen:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:I've reckoned this whole winter pretty mild and pleasant. Maybe I've had my head in the sand. Except that desert sand is the one thing we haven't got in this country!

Often do when there is a southerly from Africa ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
iainb

Post by iainb »

Move down here to the Tendring Peninsula - driest part of UK. I've just been to the allotment to put spuds in and it's barely moist a foot down :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

More frustrating is when it is a nice day, and other outside uncontrollable events conspire against me to prevent me going cycling.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells