Self righteous cameramen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Re: Self righteous cameramen

Post by landsurfer »

I bought 3 Go Pro Session cameras today.
We are going to mount them under a train to observe the behaviour of traction sand delivery hoses in traffic.
We will develop mounts and have them approved to the highest Rail standards in a couple of days.
We will collect data and improve an already exceptionally efficient system.

And you will try to entrap drivers with yours to post on your Faceberk page ... to show people what a victim you are ..... :roll: JW ...
Allegedly ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

Audax67 wrote:Re "minor traffic infringements": I'm all in favour. For a driver in France, putting two wheels across the white median line takes two points off his licence.** Four wheels loses you four points. Yet motorists will regularly go over the line to spare a cyclist a close pass.

** In France you start with 12 and lose them for offences. Dunno how it works in the UK.

I am arriving at this post about a month late but ....are you up to date on this?

I know very little about French traffic law (or other laws) but I was informed by somebody who is training for their French HGV licence (and also rides bikes and motorbikes) that the law was changed prior to April last year to allow drivers to cross the white line when overtaking two wheelers, powered and unpowered.
Yma o Hyd
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I have a camera. It sits in the drawer in the kitchen gathering dust. I'm too bone idle to charge it up, fasten it to the bike, learn how to use it etc.
In the gym this morning I was talking to a cyclist who had just rode in. We were talking about traffic levels and bad driving. He commented that although his route had got busier the drivers behaviour had got better. He put this down to the fact that motorists are more aware of the possibility of so many cyclists using cameras. If this is the result of camera use, I am all for it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:And you will try to entrap drivers with yours to post on your Faceberk page ... to show people what a victim you are .....

How is that entrapment? Entrapment is where someone is induced into wrong-doing by another person who intends to get them into trouble.

Recording what other road users are doing is no more entrapment than using CCTV on a rail crossing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

rick99 wrote:Stop shouting at me for going through red pedestrian crossing lights at 6am with no one around.
:? :?

Also. Don't cycle in the middle of the road on 'A' roads because some lefty cycle group told you it was a good idea. It isn't.

Depends very much on the road and circumstances, but I will cycle in the centre of an 'A' road so as not to be squidged against the kerb by MGIFs or when turning right, changing lanes, etc. How would you/others do it? From the gutter? :shock:

(I don't have a camera)
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:Re "minor traffic infringements": I'm all in favour. For a driver in France, putting two wheels across the white median line takes two points off his licence.** Four wheels loses you four points. Yet motorists will regularly go over the line to spare a cyclist a close pass.

** In France you start with 12 and lose them for offences. Dunno how it works in the UK.

(if one is caught!)

Just read that the single-carriageway standard maximum limit in France is to be reduced from 90 to 80 kmh, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

bigjim wrote:I have a camera. It sits in the drawer in the kitchen gathering dust. I'm too bone idle to charge it up, fasten it to the bike, learn how to use it etc.
In the gym this morning I was talking to a cyclist who had just rode in. We were talking about traffic levels and bad driving. He commented that although his route had got busier the drivers behaviour had got better. He put this down to the fact that motorists are more aware of the possibility of so many cyclists using cameras. If this is the result of camera use, I am all for it.

Hence I now use a 36V -> USB board to power the camera from the e-bike battery. When I power up the bike the camera is running, when I move the lights come on (assuming it's dark enough of course)

So yes, I have one battery to charge, plugs in each night, for me to 'cheat' on my commute.

The advantage is that I have a full loop recording, dual camera 'dash cam style' recording which responds to my 'ignition'.
I am still working out what I'll do on the raptobike for summer. I suspect I'll buy another camera set, and put that together using my USB power bank (which is less good than the trike setup, but I don't have e-drive on the fast bike).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I used a GoPro for many years and now use a similar system n the car

Funnily enough nothing has changed... it is still always YOUR fault that the idiot drove badly, and "entrapment" if yo take it up with their employers

Just accept that you drove like a muppet, got caught and no amount of bleating about it will change that fact

My favourite was the guy who pulled out of a junction with STOP lines, into the side of a car on the main road about 50 m in front of me

As I pulled up and parked, he was having a right go at the victim, as apparently they crossed the junction too slowly, causing him to hit them!

When I stated I had the incident on camera and as the Police were on teh way would wait and hand over teh evidence, it became MY fault. Apparently I was out causing accidents so I could report them, and if my camera hadn't been there the accident would not have occurred!

Fortunately the Police didn't agree with him on either count.

.... and I never got the chance to ask if it was also the CAmera's fault that he was over the Drink Drive limit as well
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:I used a GoPro for many years and now use a similar system n the car

Funnily enough nothing has changed... it is still always YOUR fault that the idiot drove badly, and "entrapment" if yo take it up with their employers

Just accept that you drove like a muppet, got caught and no amount of bleating about it will change that fact

My favourite was the guy who pulled out of a junction with STOP lines, into the side of a car on the main road about 50 m in front of me

As I pulled up and parked, he was having a right go at the victim, as apparently they crossed the junction too slowly, causing him to hit them!

When I stated I had the incident on camera and as the Police were on teh way would wait and hand over teh evidence, it became MY fault. Apparently I was out causing accidents so I could report them, and if my camera hadn't been there the accident would not have occurred!

Fortunately the Police didn't agree with him on either count.

.... and I never got the chance to ask if it was also the CAmera's fault that he was over the Drink Drive limit as well

I hope you will be running next time a Police Commissioner is needed (is that the right name, the layman who oversees the cops?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

How sad is it when enabling the prosecution of a dangerous driver becomes unacceptable.......
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

I have a camera mounted on my handlebars, I use it to record interesting bits of road or track that I'm riding, I also use it to log potholes that are dangerous, for the life of me, I can't ever see me using it to entrap someone after all we all make mistakes on the road.
Peter
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Rusty Rider wrote:I have a camera mounted on my handlebars, I use it to record interesting bits of road or track that I'm riding, I also use it to log potholes that are dangerous, for the life of me, I can't ever see me using it to entrap someone after all we all make mistakes on the road.

You can't "entrap" someone - that requires you to set them up.

And it's not just about mistakes although there's no harm in a friendly word in someone's ear from a plod to make them have a think - amazing how wrong some folk are about basic HWC rules.
And then there are the occasional malicious and outrageously stupid things we sometimes see that I would have absolutely no problem reporting.

In simple terms, look how much better behaved drivers are when there's a police car around. Now if everyone had a camera and the police actually took notice then you could realistically expect that level of driving all the time.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

kwackers wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:I have a camera mounted on my handlebars, I use it to record interesting bits of road or track that I'm riding, I also use it to log potholes that are dangerous, for the life of me, I can't ever see me using it to entrap someone after all we all make mistakes on the road.

I stand corrected then :)
Peter
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:

And it's not just about mistakes although there's no harm in a friendly word in someone's ear from a plod to make them have a think - amazing how wrong some folk are about basic HWC rules.
And then there are the occasional malicious and outrageously stupid things we sometimes see that I would have absolutely no problem reporting.

In simple terms, look how much better behaved drivers are when there's a police car around. Now if everyone had a camera and the police actually took notice then you could realistically expect that level of driving all the time.

It is down to the sad fact that people don’t take responsibility

Hence when caught they were forced to cut up the cyclist by the camera, the thought never occurs that there driving is equally dangerous if the camera had not beenthere to record it

Saddwst of all is when they start to bleat entrapment and blame everyone else

A friend of mine caught a bike thief on his home video, which led to the arrest of the thief and recovery of the bikes

This is also surely “Entrapment”, it should be unacceptable to record such incidents, and actually reporting the incidence to the Police should be earning the cyclist the same insults and criticism for such an unacceptable role in catching a theif and recovering the bikes?