texting whilst in control of a vehicle

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
andrewk

texting whilst in control of a vehicle

Post by andrewk »

No, not a car driver, not a lorry driver but a stupid prat texting whilst cycling in light traffic in London...an accident waiting to happen...or waiting for Darwinian selection to take effect.
Doubtless if he is killed/maimed there will be protests from the vociferous cycling lobby...but with morons like this it could well be their own fault.
Cyril Haearn

Re: texting whilst in control of a vehicle

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could *almost* say he is more stupid than drivers doing the same

If he drops his phone it could be smashed or fall into a drain

Trouble is, the cops have to prioritise, they must be catch all the texting drivers first so they will never get on to the cyclists

One sees many teenagers doing this
Would it make sense to get them before they *learn to drive*? I fear not
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

'Texting while in control of a vehicle' (or anything else, come to that) is a contradiction in terms.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm not disagreeing with the stupidity of the action, but out of interest what is the law in this regard. I thought I remember somebody saying (on here) that talking on a mobile phone whilst cycling was not against the law (i.e. dialling, holding phone to ear, one hand on the bars, one holding phone, no legal requirement for "hands-free", etc.). Can't find the post/thread and maybe faulty recollection (not something I really registered as it is so easy to stop).

(Don't worry, I have no plans to do it, just out of interest).

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Highway Code says:
Rule 66
You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear

The mobile phone usage offence under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003 applies only when driving a motor vehicle.

Careless and Dangerous Cycling legislation may apply to mobile phone usage whilst cycling.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:The Highway Code says:
Rule 66
You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear

The mobile phone usage offence under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003 applies only when driving a motor vehicle.

Careless and Dangerous Cycling legislation may apply to mobile phone usage whilst cycling.

So I assume that as it is a "should" rather than a "must" it is a (sensible) recommendation rather than a legal requirement.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

andrewk wrote:No, not a car driver, not a lorry driver but a stupid prat texting whilst cycling in light traffic in London...an accident waiting to happen...or waiting for Darwinian selection to take effect.
Doubtless if he is killed/maimed there will be protests from the vociferous cycling lobby...but with morons like this it could well be their own fault.

More important than this is that the danger he poses is to himself, not to others.

There is a world of difference between a cyclist on the phone and a motorist doing the same...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bez

Post by Bez »

There is no specific offence for this but it can potentially be construed as careless cycling as defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

andrewk wrote:No, not a car driver, not a lorry driver but a stupid prat texting whilst cycling in light traffic in London...an accident waiting to happen...or waiting for Darwinian selection to take effect.

Different vehicle, same mentality, no insurance
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

rmurphy195 wrote:

Totally agree, add those with the ear phones in, in traffic, changing tracks or chatting ....... See it every day .. :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I saw a kid cycling to school the other day, I think he was on the pavement, he was vaping, at least that's better than smoking I suppose.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Postboxer wrote:I saw a kid cycling to school the other day, I think he was on the pavement, he was vaping, at least that's better than smoking I suppose.

Better? Less bad maybe but we will not know for a while
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rmurphy195 wrote:

Who said he had no insurance.

Most people would have insurance as part of their home insurance (Buildings and/or contents)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Last week we were in our car behind a police car at traffic lights when a bloke rode his bike (note, I do not refer to him as a 'cyclist') across in front of us from pavement to pavement whilst texting. There was no response from the occupants within the police car but within seconds the lights changed to green and the police car and us turned left - the direction the rider went. Here we go, I thought, they will pull him over now. Nope, still riding on the pavement and texting, now with both hands off, they just drove past him! :roll:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Does it really matter - the bloke texting on the bike is almost certainly never going to kill someone. A driver of a car or truck though just might, that is who the police need to concentrate on. The attempts to somehow give legitimacy to drivers who put others in dangers because a bloke on a bike commits a reckless act that only puts themselves in danger has simply just got to stop. It's the equivalent of 19C factory (and those from later times as well I am afraid) owners blaming workers for industrial injuries and illnesses.