Exmoor Spring audax

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

Exmoor Spring audax

Post by Heltor Chasca »

honesty wrote:Have you seen the Exmouth Exodus Ride? Not an audax exactly, but looks a fun ride.

That looks really good! I would have to do a return though. 200 miles+ is doable isn't it? [emoji6] Trains will be a nightmare no doubt.

Are you doing it?
honesty

Re: Exmoor Spring audax

Post by honesty »

I've been wanting to ever since they did the first one a few years ago. This year I actually have that weekend free though, so just got to clear the idea with my family now...
PH

Post by PH »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I should get on a 200 by the summer.

If you can get to Cardiff and would like a recommendation for a first 200 - Dr Fosters Summer Saunter would be ideal, flat pleasant route, good controls and with a bit of light off road where a bike like your new one would be an advantage over the road bikes.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-308/
I'm doing the 100km rides in about +- 6 hours to give you an idea.

That's plenty fast enough to be sure you get round with a comfortable time buffer, particularly if that's on hilly 100s. How much of that is riding time? My riding time for a 200 is constantly 9.5 - 10.5 hours, the biggest variation in overall time will will be due to how much is off the bike. I can do a local flat DIY 200 with one half hour stop, or riding a tough route with friends it's likely to be a couple of hours. If I want to finish earlier that's where time can be saved. I've also found that although a touch slower my most comfortable bike can get me round in less time, simply because I don't feel the need to spend any time off it. On local Audax I'm often playing leap frog with a group of faster riders I know, they come past me on the road, I pass them in the control we finish at around the same time, it's become a bit of a standing joke...
There's also a tendency when riding at or near the back to think that everyone else is miles and miles ahead. While this is occasionally true, my experience from manning a control is that both those in front and those behind tend to overestimate the gap. All you can do is enjoy riding your own ride.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thanks PH. South Wales would be on my list a lot more time f it wasn't for the blasted toll bridge. I drive a pick up so I get stung for £13 which takes the 'fun budget' up. Mostly a principle thing, but I have heard rumours it is being abolished as the bridge has earned it's keep.

I tend to spend less time at controls than most (especially the ACB crew) I did not know many people and I tend to bring my own grub. Those things will change though.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I don't spend time at controls either, just carry on going.

I've headed up to Gloucester in the past and down the road from there to skip the toll when it was cash only and I'd forgotten to get any...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

honesty wrote:I've been wanting to ever since they did the first one a few years ago. This year I actually have that weekend free though, so just got to clear the idea with my family now...

I have my daughters that weekend but their mum is pretty flexible and up for swapped weekends so I'm in with a chance. I've signed up to their newsletter so I've got less of a chance of forgetting.
PH

Post by PH »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Thanks PH. South Wales would be on my list a lot more time f it wasn't for the blasted toll bridge. I drive a pick up so I get stung for £13 which takes the 'fun budget' up. Mostly a principle thing, but I have heard rumours it is being abolished as the bridge has earned it's keep.

Ah, not a problem I have. I either ride or train to the start, camping before and/or after if they're out of my area. Though I have the luxury of being time rich with few other commitments.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Is anyone on here doing the 100 mile Exmouth Exodus from Bath tomorrow night?

See you there if you are.