Passing distance 1.5 or 2 m, opposing traffic

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Passing distance 1.5 or 2 m, opposing traffic

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Revolution wrote:
Username wrote: I know absolutely nobody that has never had a speeding fine.

Seriously?
you are mixing with the wrong crowd. :?

Does anyone here know anyone who has been caught speeding? It's a bit like opinion polls, how can one know whether someone is lying?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Friend of ours received a speeding fin - the first in 55 years of driving

They were really upset, so we went back to the point he was caught

The change in speed sign, and the repeater before the camera were both obscured by overgrowing vegetation.... a couple of photos and an appeal resulted in the clearance of the vegetation and a cancellation of the fine - reputation restored
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does anyone here know anyone who has been caught speeding? It's a bit like opinion polls, how can one know whether someone is lying?

I had several speeding fines when I was younger in the USA. I've learned better, since. It's been more that 20 years since I had any points on my driving licence.

Other than that... When I worked in Basildon (8+ years ago), there was a spot that the police sometimes set up mobil speed cameras. Several of my colleagues were 'caught' speeding.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Grandad wrote:
I know absolutely nobody that has never had a speeding fine]

I must be in a well behaved minority then :D

if the obstruction is your side, you wait. Don't like so often happens just continue straight toward any oncoming vehicle.

It is somewhat distressing how many drivers seem to think this rule does not apply if the other vehicle happens to be a cyclist.

Strangely enough I have recently had several drivers wait whilst I rode past an obstruction on their side of the road. Needless to say they get a grateful wave.

It is better not to wave to thank them for obeying the law. You might be stopped by a traffic cop for taking a hand off the bars and not being in full control. In this situation it is quite usual for the driver to move off and steer towards you before you are clear. N e v e r trust them!

What is the difference between taking you hand off the bars to make a turn signal and taking your hand off to acknowledge someone's courtesy :?: If you can be nicked for the latter, then I guess I will be nicked - I always thank people for doing the right thing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Grandad wrote:I must be in a well behaved minority then :D

Strangely enough I have recently had several drivers wait whilst I rode past an obstruction on their side of the road. Needless to say they get a grateful wave.

It is better not to wave to thank them for obeying the law. You might be stopped by a traffic cop for taking a hand off the bars and not being in full control. In this situation it is quite usual for the driver to move off and steer towards you before you are clear. N e v e r trust them!

What is the difference between taking you hand off the bars to make a turn signal and taking your hand off to acknowledge someone's courtesy :?: If you can be nicked for the latter, then I guess I will be nicked - I always thank people for doing the right thing.

Virtue is its own reward

In education or at work one should thank people, that makes sense. I often do it when shopping too

The HC says one should signal, it does not say one should reward those who simply obey the law! That is the difference

As I wrote above: often they slow down or stop but then move off again before one is clear, steering towards one and just missing, you have experienced this surely

N e v e r trust a moton/terrorist!
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Virtue is its own reward

In education or at work one should thank people, that makes sense. I often do it when shopping too

The HC says one should signal, it does not say one should reward those who simply obey the law! That is the difference

As I wrote above: often they slow down or stop but then move off again before one is clear, steering towards one and just missing, you have experienced this surely

Waving is not rewarding - it is simply acknowledging courtesy. How many times have you e.g. stopped at a zebra crossing and had an acknowledgement from the pedestrians? I've also e.g. (illegally) flashed traffic cops to let them in from slip road to motorway and received a wave of acknowledgement. Common courtesy, nothing more sinister.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

A smile and a nod or wave fosters good will — a valuable commodity which is too often in short supply on the road.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Revolution wrote:
Username wrote: I know absolutely nobody that has never had a speeding fine.

Seriously?
you are mixing with the wrong crowd. :?

Does anyone here know anyone who has been caught speeding? It's a bit like opinion polls, how can one know whether someone is lying?

I've been had twice, once in the UK, once in the US.

In the UK it was into the night, I'd just come off the motorway and on my way into a town but I was still doing 42 into a 30 limit.
I will note that I had plenty of time to stop for the officer when he stepped into the road (didn't see that it was an officer rather than just a random pedestrian for quite some time).

In the US it was the morning, I pulled out of a motel onto a rather wide road (two lanes, then a hard shoulder before 10' of grass and a sidewalk, then 20' of grass to the houses on each side. All cars parked on drives well past the sidewalk.
The US speed limits are often posted when they change, then again after 400m, and then they stay the same and aren't reposted for the next few hundred miles.... In this case I'd pulled into the town and collapsed into a bed at the motel (I'd arranged for them to leave the room open since I arrived after they closed reception). I assumed it was at least a 40mph road, and was stopped by a lovely officer saying I had been doing 42 in a 30 (what are the odds). He wrote me a ticket for <10mph over...

I'm older and wiser nowadays (though I'd probably do the same again in the US - that was pure confusion)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

Virtue is its own reward

Waving is not rewarding - it is simply acknowledging courtesy. How many times have you e.g. stopped at a zebra crossing and had an acknowledgement from the pedestrians? I've also e.g. (illegally) flashed traffic cops to let them in from slip road to motorway and received a wave of acknowledgement. Common courtesy, nothing more sinister.

Acknowledging courtesy? No need to do that. Not sure whether I have been thanked for obeying the law at a crossing, I certainly do not expect it. As for flashing headlights - see the highway code.

There was a discussion about *friendly waves* on another thread here. A wave can be and often is misinterpreted as a rude sign with serious consequences

Especially when a vehicle going the other way apparently waits, DO NOT TRUST THEM! Look at the front wheels, are they aimed towards you? Does the driver really wait until you are clear before moving off?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Grandad wrote:I must be in a well behaved minority then :D

The difference is, the HC requires one to signal turns, otherwise both hands must be on the bars or the wheel, I understand that means friendly gestures are forbidden!

Alternative facts welcome, what do our ex or serving cops think?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The difference is, the HC requires one to signal turns, otherwise both hands must be on the bars or the wheel, I understand that means friendly gestures are forbidden!

Highway Code wrote:Rule 66
You should
  • keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
(Link)

Not should rather than must - so advisory - the same as applies to helmets & reflectives in rule 59.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I often give a nod of acknowledgement. That is unlikely to be miscontrued and doesn't require removing my hands from the handlebars.

That sai, I have soemtimes given a little thank you wave, but usually in circumstances where the driver is looking directly at me, so it should be clear what I am doing & why.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'll give a thumbs up - only once been misconstrued, which led to an amusing conversation when I passed them a few hundred yards up the road.

But I won't do it for a normal manoeuvre, it's for when they've waited on my request.

Last bumped by Cyril Haearn on 19 Jun 2018, 5:49am.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.