Cyclist down on Etape Loch Ness

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LollyKat

Cyclist down on Etape Loch Ness

Post by LollyKat »

"A cyclist was seriously injured in a collision with another rider during a major cycling event on roads along the shores of Loch Ness."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-39691750

:(
SimonCelsa

Re: Cyclist down on Etape Loch Ness

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes it looked like quite a pile up, I passed through a few minutes after the incident and fortunately the paramedics were on the scene pretty quick. Not too sure what happened, the conditions were good with dry (closed) roads so can only assume it was a clash of wheels or something similar. Have heard no recent updates locally so no news is good news hopefully.
The leaders managed to get round the 66 mile course (with a pretty big hill halfway) in less than 3 hours so they were going a bit quicker than me!

All the best, Simon
Syd

Post by Syd »

Passed two crashes yesterday, one only four miles in.

Both crashes I saw involved several bikes and already had medical aid in attendance though nobody seemed too badly broken in those.

There were a number of groups travelling as speed very close together so the accidents didn’t surprise me. As I was riding through Dores someone swung across the front of me missing my front wheel my a couple of centimetres.

On the first section of the main climb after Fort Augustus there was an ambulance in attendance for a rider who is reported as ‘becoming unwell’. As I passed a police officer was on the radio reporting a cardiac arrest.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... -loch-ness
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Etapes ridden as though racing - by cyclists who are for the most part inexperienced at racing. CHUTE!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cugel wrote:Etapes ridden as though racing - by cyclists who are for the most part inexperienced at racing. CHUTE!

Cugel

With the event organisers giving prizes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd male and female, plus KOM and QOM, to all intents and purpose it was a race and there were a lot treating it as such.

There were of course many others treating is a a great ride in fantastic scenery.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

With the event organisers giving prizes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd male and female, plus KOM and QOM, to all intents and purpose it was a race and there were a lot treating it as such.

There were of course many others treating is a a great ride in fantastic scenery.

Isn't that the problem with these type of events? Some racing, some having a good time and the mix is ...
Syd

Post by Syd »

charliepolecat wrote:

Isn't that the problem with these type of events? Some racing, some having a good time and the mix is ...

I, personally, treat any mass start event the same in that I keep left straight out of the gate and let all those that want to race shoot off as they wish.

The downside of that is, sometimes, you get held up on the wrong side of a nasty crash.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Giving prizes based on speed makes it a race. Could this cause insurance problems? A good wriggle route for insurers ?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Grandad wrote:Giving prizes based on speed makes it a race. Could this cause insurance problems? A good wriggle route for insurers ?

I suspect it probably would, either that of be very expensive insurance. I know, as my wife entered for me, I was asked to sign a disclaimer at registration as I hadn’t done it online.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I'll stick to the Wolverhampton Wheelers 'Ride for Joe' £10 entry fee and all money raised goes to the air ambulance. 30 or 50 mile routes and you get to ride a lap of the track at the end. No racing it's just a ride in memory of a young lad who was tragically killed whilst out on his bike.