What should I do when I get to this part of the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: What should I do when I get to this part of the road?

Post by eileithyia »

I'm just glad I virtually never use that bit of Lee Lane when cycling in Horwich :lol:

As for the other discussions.
I would say the cycle lane has no give way sign and you are on the road continuing straight on, so why would you give way.
If you do have stationary traffic between you and the crossing then commonsense says you watch out for driver who is letting other traffic turn either out of into the side road.....
The onus is on the turning driver to ensure the way is clear and not take the say so of the other driver that it is clear.... but that is of no use if it is you sprawled on the deck so it always worth being cautious.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
drossall

Post by drossall »

ctrlindustries wrote:Thank you to all for your help. I am very gratfeul for the level of attention and detail you have given me for my question.

My concern is that i have already almost been hit on that road in the mornings when there is stand still traffic and cars coming up that way. But who is at fault? I drive and cycle dependant on how far I go. I'm one of the rare few on both sides of the coin so I don't jump red lights and obey the highway code.
If I am cycling down that path and I am hit by a car coming into a junction and visibility of me is not 100% I take caution but in that area there are a lot of fast drivers who unfortunately don't have the same level of due care and attention. Same in London....

I still haven't understood how you could get hit in stationary traffic. This isn't being awkward - it's just trying to see whether there is more advice that we can provide. I still haven't quite got my head round where the driver was coming from in your original question.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Please keep to the topic about the road, positioning, cycle lane hazards, etc. here. Helemts and high viz can go on the split topic viewtopic.php?f=19&t=114110
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PRL

Post by PRL »

Doesn't the latest version of road sign regulations allow for the ziz-zags to be placed outside of a cycle lane ? That would clarify the situation here.