Great commuting ride - have to share

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dbrunner

Great commuting ride - have to share

Post by dbrunner »

We hear so much negative stuff about the general problems we have when riding, that I thought I would share my morning commute with you.

To put it into context, my ride is 14.5 miles of mixed country and urban riding from the New Forest, through Romsey and onto Eastleigh just outside Southampton, with a total ascent of 560' with descents of 720', so I have a couple of hundred feet drop overall. Set out on my recently re-built Dawes Galaxy, with Garmin Edge 305 data logging GPS, full lights and hi-viz backpack with clothes in.

Miles 0-3, gently downhill (making for a nice warm-up) and along the A36 for a mile with the first climb to mile 3, feeling pretty good.

Next 2 mile are undulating to the first real climb at Rydown Hill, HR hits 165 by the top and I look forward to the ride along the ridge - look down and see my average is still over 16 and I'm now sailing along at 17.5 - nice.

7 miles, traffic on mainstone hill is clear and the drop down into Romsey sees me hit 38mph, continue past Broadlands at 18 mph, this is going to be a good time!

Mile 9: honking up cemetary hill, HR hits 170, but I still reckon I could be on for a good time which means under 40 mins at the upcoming 10 mile marker.

10 miles, traffic is really light despite the M27 roadworks making it a rat-run. OMG - 37 minutes, this is a PB, so let's go for it, I need all the lights to be right as I go through Baddersley, stay green.. stay green.. sprinting, sprinting - Yes.. through on green. (Thank - you!)

11 miles - next mile on a cycle path, no dogs or pedestrians, don't let speed drop, out of the saddle, legs hurting now... average needs to stay above 16...

Now the messy bit, through the housing estate and under the motorway, rest as I freewheel down the leafy path.

13.5 miles - 1 mile to go, push hard, legs really screaming now, HR 165 as I go past two of my students on bikes like they are stationary, look back clear, forward and right clear so I take the next right hand junction across the apex, final sprint now, 30 seconds to go.

200 metres to go, give everything, can taste the adrenalin in the back of my throat, swoop into college car park, hit timer stop.... 54' 10" a PB! Gasping, fighting for breath, HR hitting 174, feel as though I'm about to throw-up.... what a ride! That is what cycle commuting is all about, within 2 minutes I have locked up my bike and I'm in the office for a cuppa... HR back to 60.

All in all a great ride, good traffic light karma, no stupid motorists, a personal best and a beautiful blue sky day... its commuting at its best and an added bonus that this was my 5th day in a row.

Just had to share, Dave (52 years young)
peter236uk

ride

Post by peter236uk »

Sounds a great ride so how long would you take for 12 miles any idea just curious as thats what I do how many times a week do you commute all year.

thanks
dbrunner

All year

Post by dbrunner »

So far I have managed to commute between 3 and 5 times a week, throughout the winter, and I think it has really paid off.

On a 'more leisurely' ride I usually take 1 hour, give a take a couple of minutes. I aim for an average of 15 mph (4 minute miles) so would expect to do 12 miles in about 50 minutes.

I have also changed my riding style and now take the primary position in the narrower lanes, this seems to be ruducing the incidents of 'shaving'.

My new Brooks B17 has now done 250 miles and so I think my bum is broken in!

Happy commuting, Dave
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wonderful, Dave! Took me back to my commuting days!

I had a long slow climb over the down, then a fast downhill into Callington, then left onto the Plymouth road. Mainly down hill with the odd up hill stretch, to Saltash, but I really pushed myself, feeling the adrenalin coursing through my body. After the Tamar Bridge and stuck in traffic, body aching to keep going!

I'd fly into the Naval Base checking my watch. Fastest I did it was 42 mins for the 17 miles. Getting home was completely different, mainly uphill! Mind you, my PB was still 54 mins.

I rode five days a week only a few times, three or possibly four was the optimum as it was too tiring for more. The good thing about living where we did then was the fact I could ride, use the car, or even get the train. Cycling was the preference, and I was like a bear with a sore head if the weather was too bad all week!
Mick F. Cornwall
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I do a couple of times a week but really thinking about just going for it mine is 12 miles each way which I do in around 45 ish mins.
I can cheat if the weather is horrible and train in to about 3 miles from work then cycle home.

I think I am just going to go for it all the time
themadorganist

Post by themadorganist »

you cant beat commuting to work by bike. No matter how crappy the weather is and howmuch you really dont want to go out in it to start with, by the time you get there the feeling of well being and having'blown the cobwebs of the early morning away' always makes it worthwile!
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

funny that if i do not ride I hate it not being on the bike
dbrunner

Weather

Post by dbrunner »

Have to agree with themadorganist, that it really sets you up for the day. There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate kit! Well, there is one exception to that and it's ice... that is the only thing that stops me riding in.

According to my Garmin 305, I have commuted nearly 4500 miles in the past 11 months since I bought it, and I have to add, it is a really cool data logger.

I'll have a look tonight and see how many feet I've climbed!

Cheers, Dave
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I think the 305 is the Commuter's Friend.

You can race yourself, it keeps a log of distance for you, you can analyse your performance and route, it's small, neat and easy to operate and customise, and it's waterproof.

A great buy.

Without wanting to hyjack the thread, the only problem I've found is that computers don't "see" it. You have to have software installed. So on a tour, you can't just pop into an Internet Cafe to download via the USB and onto a portable flash drive.
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

you cant beat commuting to work by bike. No matter how crappy the weather is and howmuch you really dont want to go out in it to start with, by the time you get there the feeling of well being and having'blown the cobwebs of the early morning away' always makes it worthwile!

I couldnt agree more!

funny that if i do not ride I hate it not being on the bike

Very true. I think you know that cycling has now become a sort of addiction. I had to go to the abbatoir today, this mean bringing my car and not cycling. Ive been a miserable cow all day... (wrong choice of words really... :lol: )

Dave, thank you for sharing this... I was quite out of breath for you by the end of your stint. Really enjoying reading about your commute into work. Boy, you do have a long way to go!

Mary
dbrunner

Total ascent for the year

Post by dbrunner »

Just looked at my Garmin 305 stats, and in the last year I have climbed almost 260,000 yes 260 thousand feet... I had to go back and double check.

Hey, that's like cycling up Everest every month!

Phew, no wonder I'm knackered!

Dave
Mintymonkey

Post by Mintymonkey »

I'm new to commuting.. or rather will be when I get my bike, I'm taking advantage of the Cycle to Work scheme my employer offers, not sure what bike I am getting yet but adding up the gear I need on top of the bike I thinl that will be as much as the bike itself, but the scheme is too good not to buy stuff now while I have the chance. I'm new to cycling too, other than as a kid and a few leisurely rides over the years. My commute is going to be 6 miles each way, luckily about 4 of it is on the new coastal cycle path between Shoreham by Sea and Worthing so hope not to have to deal with to many cars! Can't wait!
flashman

Post by flashman »

Great post dbrunner. I commute every day (15.5 each way). It's great when you have a day like you just mentioned. Don't necessarily start out for a PB but the legs feel good and the wind is right. Pity the poor blighters who have to commute an hour or more by car every day with half the journey crawling along at 5mph in heavy traffic.
Great average by the way!