Another killer on his mobile.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Another killer on his mobile.

Post by pete75 »

Man who caused teen’s death was driving at 99 mph and on his mobile before fatal A1 crash.

Whether 4 1/2 years in prison is right or not I don't know but his driving ban should have been forever not just 9 years and 3 months

http://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2017/ ... ing-on-a1/
Last edited by Graham on 4 May 2017, 7:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Another <i>[rude word removed]</i> on his mobile.

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Disqualified for 9 years and three months too. Good by most standards, but killers should never be allowed to drive again for sure.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

disqualified from driving for nine years and three months.

But that may not stop him driving, next time driving with out licence and insurance.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It was a hit and run too! It should be a longer sentence than that just for the hit and run part.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Postboxer wrote:It was a hit and run too! It should be a longer sentence than that just for the hit and run part.

Yep and he was driving well over the limit when they arrested him the next morning.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Re: Another killer on his mobile.

Post by mercalia »

I wonder what will happen to him in prison - some dont like child killers?
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Should of been jailed for life i am sick to the back teeth of hearing about these cases, the criminal justice system in this country is a joke.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

foxychick wrote:Should of been jailed for life i am sick to the back teeth of hearing about these cases, the criminal justice system in this country is a joke.

Could'nt agree more, to me this is murder and should be treated as such .
Lance Dopestrong

My view is that if you're in the middle of committing an unlawful act, and you kill someone while behaving unlawfully, it should be treated as murder.

The decision to break the law was a deliberate one, and we all know the potential consequences of drink driving, speeding, mobile phone use behind the wheel, hence them being illegal in the first place.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Barks

Post by Barks »

And not even the max 14 years for death by dangerous driving - just what do you have to do to get that? Also does the driving ban run concurrently with the prison sentence or start on release?
peetee

Post by peetee »

To my mind driving like that is like firing a gun down a shopping street in the belief that the bullet will pass through the gaps between people.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Username

Post by Username »

Barks wrote:And not even the max 14 years for death by dangerous driving - just what do you have to do to get that? Also does the driving ban run concurrently with the prison sentence or start on release?

The length of sentencing is randomly generated, altho crimes will have min and max sentencing. A judge can also apply exceptions but those are rare.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:My view is that if you're in the middle of committing an unlawful act, and you kill someone while behaving unlawfully, it should be treated as murder.

The decision to break the law was a deliberate one, and we all know the potential consequences of drink driving, speeding, mobile phone use behind the wheel, hence them being illegal in the first place.

I believe that in order to be charged with murder it needs to be shown that loss of life was the intended cause of any action taken, otherwise it's manslaughter. I think there used to be a charge of vehicular manslaughter - is that what death by dangerous driving and death by careless driving have now become? It would seem logical then, that if you convicted of any traffic offence that caused a death you should automatically get a manslaughter conviction as well. From reading the article, it sounds like the drivers life was going down hill quite badly since he was checking up on his wife who he thought was having an affair so that's probably going to be divorce. I guess there will also be a longer practical driving ban due to insurers not being all that keen to insure him. On his release from prison it is likely he is going to find life outside pretty tough, a longer sentence might actually be doing him a favour.
Lance Dopestrong

I know how the law quite woefully stands now - I'm a retired police sergeant.

I'm suggesting that such people have chosen to break the law, and some died as a consequence. They may not have intended to kill, but they intended to break the law and intended to commit an act that forseeably could have killed someone, so a murder 2 category as they have in The States would be appropriate.

That offenders can kill as a result of deliberate actions, deliberate law breaking, and receive such derisory punishment is unbelievable. That they can one day be permitted to acquire another such weapon and lawfully drive it is it is so bizarre it would be funny under other circumstances. Killer Doctors get struck off for life, never to be allowed again in the position where they could again kill in the same manner, but give an innocent person a violent death with your car and you'll eventually be free to use the same weapon again.