"Off-duty police shock"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: "Off-duty police shock"

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think that a warrant card is no more carried than I do my driving licence, even when they are on duty?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

The warrant card usually doubles as an entry card, so its most particularly carried when on duty or they'll have trouble getting to work.

There's no regulation compelling officers to carry them off duty. I used to carry mine most places, as I kept it in my wallet and not the awkward issued warrant card holder. The only times I wouldn't might have been when out jogging. On the bike it would most likely be buried in my panniers or rucksack with my phone and keys.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
thirdcrank

Re:

Post by thirdcrank »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Mores the pity you 'have to' abuse an officer to get your comeuppance. Us poor oiks just get fobbed off.

This pretty much sums it up for me and more succinctly than I might have managed.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cunobelin wrote:I had the opposite when a driver who cut me up claimed he was a Police Officer and as a result I had no right to question his driving

Didn't like his attitude, so complained to local Police with the video .... turns out he wasn't a Police Officer, and they were rather unhappy with him claiming that he was, and with his standard of driving

Ha ha sounds like the 'staff nurse' who tried to pull rank on me once. lady who had been delivered 3-4 days was writing out her 'The baby has arrived cards' to, as we agreed those friends who were not on top of the list to be first informed. pre- internet and facebook days.

A short while later I answered the ward phone and a neighbour of the lady insisted I divulge information such as name and sex of the baby... when i said i would pass the message on, she became abusive and declared she was a Staff Nurse..... in which case she should have known about confidentiality.... turns out she was a volunteer at a local cottage hospital .... :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Re:

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Mores the pity you 'have to' abuse an officer to get your comeuppance. Us poor oiks just get fobbed off.

This pretty much sums it up for me and more succinctly than I might have managed.

I suppose that those morning briefings in police buildings today prompt police what to do and say depending on what will give best publicity for yesterdays news.......................missing what they should be doing which is the job we pay them for.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Better still, ask to see his warrant card, especially if he's in civvies

Many years ago in the days of Never Ready lights a car cut up our tandem. We shouted and he stopped, said he was a police officer and accused us of having no front light. We asked him to turn off the light - an impossibility as I had wired it to stay on (we were out on a fast training ride which is why he had misjudged our speed).

We then asked to see his warrant card so that we could report his bad driving, at which point his attitude changed and he ended up apologising to us. :)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ferrit worrier wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I will remember that next altercation I have :wink:

If someone claims to be a police officer one could try asking them the name of the chief constable

Better still, ask to see his warrant card, especially if he's in civvies.

Had him on video, if my suspicions were correct then a visit out of the blue (pun unintended) is a little more sstisfying