Mad As Fruitcake....Me...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Samuel D

Re: Mad As Fruitcake....Me...

Post by Samuel D »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Then was passed by a roadie with thighs as big as arnie, reckon he was going twice as fast as me up hill :lol:

Sometimes happens to me too. Unless you’re Chris Froome (and even then!), someone will always be faster. I occasionally ride with a group of mostly racers, most of whom beat me up most hills.

I’m not sure that deliberately using a high gear for climbing does any good in training. Then again, nor have I found lower gears to help as much as they feel like they help. I have come to believe there is no comfortable way to go up a hill quickly and no wrong gear to go up a hill slowly … within a wide cadence range.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Road bike only has a 46" gear old six speed uniglide 8) , So it was a tester on the tourer to see If I could climb on that gear.
Tourer is heavier by at least 3 kgs, 42-32 x 12-23T 8S, with 35 (37) mich world tour.
Road bike is 10.5 kgs and will have 23 conti grand prix, 52-42 X 13 - 24T 6S, I can select any gog between 13&14 top through to 19-24 bottom to make up my six speed cassette. 13-14 (threaded top) 14-15-16-17-18-19-22-24
Two weeks till Dartmoor Classic 67.6m & 92.4' climb/M, and six till the Moor 2 Sea 64.4 & 87' climb / M.
I am unofficial so Dartmoor will be 86 M and Moor 2 C 105 miles before I get home and will be carrying everthing I need, If I can cadge some water on the way it will save lugging it around :?

Its going to be interesting to see if I can manage a Gold time on both events :mrgreen:
The whole post must read like a hiding to hell.
Small back tenderness but otherwise I feel OK today.

P.S. - A bit of a dilemma after training for long distances now to have to perform on shorter ones, what cadence is better climbing..................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Why do you want to climb those hills with a 46" gear? I use a 29" gear and spin up all the hills Cumbria has to offer. Less effort than pushing a big gear. Doesn't mean I go faster, but I can manage longer rides more easily, and my legs (and back) are most grateful.

Good luck with your Dartmoor ride.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
david7591 wrote:Why do you want to climb those hills with a 46" gear? I use a 29" gear and spin up all the hills Cumbria has to offer. Less effort than pushing a big gear. Doesn't mean I go faster, but I can manage longer rides more easily, and my legs (and back) are most grateful.

Good luck with your Dartmoor ride.

I don't really, its just that that's the lowest gear on that bike, uniglide stuff is expensive, hard to find and I don't really want big gaps between the cogs either.
I know someone will suggest converting to 7 speed (7S hyperglide cassette on the 6 S uniglide hub) don't really have time to flaff with it at the moment :(
Just screwing the thing together in the garden tonight :?
And then I will only have about a week to try it out.
NATURAL ANKLING