Need to move a fridge?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Need to move a fridge?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Need to move a fridge?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Must of been a bet 8)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Who needs a cargo bike? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief! :shock:

I doubt I could have even picked it up.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It did look real, but you never know it could have been a bit of body bopping ......

[youtube]G21nWIBFdP8[/youtube]
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Phew.
At least he kept a cool head. :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

When I was in Brazil I saw many unbelievable feats of strength and coordination along these lines. I remember watching a team of men load a river boat with washing machines, each porter walking with a machine on his back up a ramp and over a bouncy plank to the boat. One stumble would have sent man and washing machine to the bottom of the river, but it never happened. They were sure-footed to a degree we cannot fathom with our sedentary ways.

Here’s one I found on YouTube of a fat man doing a track-stand in traffic with a gas bottle balanced on his head.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Mick F wrote:Grief! :shock:

I doubt I could have even picked it up.

Actually fridges aren't that heavy - apart from the pump-compressor at the bottom they are essential empty boxes (when the food is removed). The larger ones are more awkward to carry as you need to find the right place to hold them for it to be a balanced load - quite well demonstrated in the video - a normal under the counter fridge is no problem to carry. No matter the size though, I definitely wouldn't want to try cycling down the street with one perched on my shoulder; even on smooth tarmac and his riding over cobbles. Mind you, fridges aren't supposed to be transported on their sides, and should be left in the upright position for a few hours after moving before being switched back on because the coolant needs to settle back into place.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:When I was in Brazil I saw many unbelievable feats of strength and coordination along these lines. I remember watching a team of men load a river boat with washing machines, each porter walking with a machine on his back up a ramp and over a bouncy plank to the boat. One stumble would have sent man and washing machine to the bottom of the river, but it never happened. They were sure-footed to a degree we cannot fathom with our sedentary ways.

Here’s one I found on YouTube of a fat man doing a track-stand in traffic with a gas bottle balanced on his head.

Wanna see him go one better?:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZhbI9bJDg
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
It did look real, but you never know it could have been a bit of body bopping ......

[youtube]G21nWIBFdP8[/youtube]

FANTASTIC! and very touching.
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Meanwhile I ride with people who don’t like down-tube shifters because they require brief riding with one hand …
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I do wonder if he made it to the bottom of the hill safely - the video stops rather abruptly :shock: .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:https://i.imgur.com/GvitlRx.gifv

the film was too short - should have followed him the traffic lights at red or next stop sign :lol:
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Looking at it, I think he's done it before, lots of times, as he seems to know exactly what to do to get balanced and get on the bike, if I were to try it, I'd be ages figuring out how I could balance and hold it, before I'd give up. It's what happens when he needs to stop or take emergency avoiding action I'd be worried about.

We have cycle couriers here for delivering small packages quickly in busy cities, has anyone ever set up a cycling delivery company for larger items, the unique selling point being that it was greener? I'm almost tempted to set one up, get a trailer or cargo bike, then get paid for cycling around slowly. At the moment I don't get paid for cycling around slowly so it's a win-win.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The link in the OP doesn't work to me (the video doesn't come up) - but I'm guessing this is the same:
[youtube]FK8mTW4uaLk[/youtube]

Or perhaps it was this one?
[youtube]SfPeZm7Pxnk[/youtube]

I'm still laid rather low by sciatica today, and watching these clips doesn't exactly help.... :roll: :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).