95 ALIVE, Single file cycling ??

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Re: 95 ALIVE, Single file cycling ??

Post by meic »

They have had a petition.
https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/53050

Not enough "Do-gooders" could be found though.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is evidence the equestrian helmets reduce both severity and frequency of injury. Furthermore, unlike with cycling, head injuries are common in fallen riders, and head injury is the most frequent cause of death when adult equestrians die as the result of an off (it's quite high on the list for people injured, handling horses on the ground).

If anyone is interested, there is a literature review here http://emsaonline.net/wp-content/upload ... ctions.pdf

So it's not just common sense, it's backed by evidence.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic's petition link had me think about HM QE II - possibly something to do with Crown Copyright. :roll:

I had a look for pictures of the queen riding and all I could find were of her wearing a scarf, an anorak with the hood up or that dinky plumed black hat she used to wear in uniform. She stopped wearing a hard hat when she graduated from the Pony Club. And before anybody asks what my point is, I haven't one. :oops:
pwa

Post by pwa »

A neighbour of mine fell from her horse and sustained a head injury that left her unconscious for a while and hospitalised for several days. She was wearing a helmet. You can debate endlessly about whether the helmet did any good, but the point is that falling off a horse often results in the head sustaining an injury. Compared to a bike you have further to fall and more time and space to rotate until your head is pointing down. Very few of the horse riders I see around here ride without a helmet.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Losing balance and rotating about the body of the horse is the issue. you present to the ground head down in 90% of cases.... we had Fell ponies ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

thirdcrank wrote:meic's petition link had me think about HM QE II - possibly something to do with Crown Copyright. :roll:

I had a look for pictures of the queen riding and all I could find were of her wearing a scarf, an anorak with the hood up or that dinky plumed black hat she used to wear in uniform. She stopped wearing a hard hat when she graduated from the Pony Club. And before anybody asks what my point is, I haven't one. :oops:
:D Good one!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What sort of helmets /hats do horse riders use, how do they differ from cycling or climbing helmets?

How many forum members keep (own?) a horse or several, or use horses *borrowed* or hired? How does *riding* a horse compare to *riding* a bike?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Owning a bicycle ... travel and beautiful vistas, competition and fitness, comradeship and friendship. Adventure.
Owning a horse ..... Standing naked on a hill, in a winter rainstorm, dropping house bricks on your feet, while setting fire to £20 notes.

Been there, done that.
Be more Mike.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Highway Code Rule 66
keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
not ride close behind another vehicle
not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Flinders wrote:Racehorse strings who have to use a road I know to get to their exercise grounds split into two or more groups so that traffic can overtake in sections, as a whole string can be too long to overtake safely anywhere (especially as sensible drivers overtake horses only slowly and with lots of space). When driving, I often think some cycling groups might, to everyone's advantage, take a leaf out of those racehorse riders' book.
+1 :)
"42"
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

landsurfer wrote:MMMM ..... surely these are the people (95 Alive) that want cyclists only to ride in single file ?

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styl ... k=YhgAd00U

I was out riding in the Yorkshire Dales at the weekend and spotted one of those signs. No one else will be spotting it now unless they are crawling through the hedge.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Pete Owens wrote:
landsurfer wrote:MMMM ..... surely these are the people (95 Alive) that want cyclists only to ride in single file ?

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styl ... k=YhgAd00U

I was out riding in the Yorkshire Dales at the weekend and spotted one of those signs. No one else will be spotting it now unless they are crawling through the hedge.

Top chap. :D
Be more Mike.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Pennines in Cumbria it is rather more civilized:

https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/101626/
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Pete Owens wrote:Meanwhile, on the other side of the Pennines in Cumbria it is rather more civilized:

Are these signs available for purchase... I’m going to start counting the street lights on my commute
My poor poor bottom
RickH

Post by RickH »

Pete Owens wrote:Meanwhile, on the other side of the Pennines in Cumbria it is rather more civilized:

There are some signs of a similar nature that I've spotted in South Lancs on a coupe of busy-ish roads that are also popular with cyclists. They are a bit more colourful (& bear the Lancashire Police logo) but have the same "leave a 1.5m" gap message.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.