Turn any bike into a cargo trike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

Turn any bike into a cargo trike

Post by honesty »

reohn2

Re: Turn any bike into a cargo trike

Post by reohn2 »

I think it's niche product that for those who have a use for it will be a boon.
I'm less sure about the child "bin" though,too much weight in front of the front wheel IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Finally took a long look onk/starter approx £550(700US)pledge buys one,not a bad price IMHO.
W H Auden
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Looks nice, and well made, but, not sure it's any improvement on a trailer, not even as good in some ways.

My wife wanted, and bought, a Carry Freedom trailer, which I fitted for her, and we've both used it. Very nice, well made, bit of kit, which works well. If anything, more flexible than this idea and half the price!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Looks nice, and well made, but, not sure it's any improvement on a trailer, not even as good in some ways.

My wife wanted, and bought, a Carry Freedom trailer, which I fitted for her, and we've both used it. Very nice, well made, bit of kit, which works well. If anything, more flexible than this idea and half the price!

IMHO I think it depends on the individuals requirements. A route I use for utility,due to cycle path anti m/c slalom gates,would suit that trike kit,but a trailer wold be a complete PITA.
Horses for courses,this is just one horse :wink: .
W H Auden
hercule

Post by hercule »

It's been done before, the Noomad was very similar in design as far as I can see...

http://newatlas.com/noomad-three-wheeled-cargo/28727/

Practical Cycles used to sell them, but no longer, and I can't find the Noomad website so I suspect they have gone out of business. They seemed to have all the disadvantages of trikes and bikes with few of the advantages. Velovision magazine reviewed them and commented that they had a real problem with "bump steer" (hit a pothole and zoom off in an unexpected direction). Despite having three wheels it had no static stability so you couldn't just park it without using a prop stand or leaning it against a handy lamppost :roll:

The biggest difference with the Trego seems to be the quick connect system: with the Noomad, I think you had to swap the front forks out before fitting. It doesn't seem to have a tilt lock to stop it flopping over when you come to a halt and the suspension/tilting mechanism looks very similar.

I feel like an old cynic...
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Nothing wrong with being a cynic, from one old one to another :-)
Seriously though, when my missus said she was going to buy a trailer, I did think that she had 'lost it' - why would you want one, and when would you use it. We've both used it now for a variety of jobs, and agree that it's well worth it.
I really can't see the 'improvement' with this new idea - if you're in an awkward situation with a trailer, just disconnect and manoeuvre to suit. If you get somewhere and don't need it all the time, just disconnect it. You've still got the same handling and feel of riding your normal bike, not, as you mentioned, the different handling of the clip on unit. It does look technically well made, but....! Can't really see the benefit.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Nothing wrong with being a cynic, from one old one to another :-)
Seriously though, when my missus said she was going to buy a trailer, I did think that she had 'lost it' - why would you want one, and when would you use it. We've both used it now for a variety of jobs, and agree that it's well worth it.
I really can't see the 'improvement' with this new idea - if you're in an awkward situation with a trailer, just disconnect and manoeuvre to suit. If you get somewhere and don't need it all the time, just disconnect it. You've still got the same handling and feel of riding your normal bike, not, as you mentioned, the different handling of the clip on unit. It does look technically well made, but....! Can't really see the benefit.

I've made the same claims against trikes on here before now and got slated for it from trike owners.
But I'll stick to my opinion that a trike has more disadvantages than a bike because of three main reasons,width,weight and handling.that said in certain circumstances a trike wins out for some people.
The same applies to trailers,width,weight and handling but like trikes they work for some.
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 May 2017, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've got four trikes in different configurations so can say I have some familiarity with the breed... :D

I think the issue with this is that it is neither trike nor bike: a trike is great for hauling loads, it doesn't fall over when you're loading it up, you can ride very slowly with perfect stability. It does require different riding skills, but once you learn them, you're (mostly) OK. I can hit a bump with the trike and it will behave predictable.

AFAIK, the Noomad and Trego don't have the stability to stand up at rest, they are vulnerable to bump steer when riding, and the capacity of the front carrier isn't that big compared to a couple of rear panniers.

A trailer is much more simple, can carry a lot more (the Y-Frame Large I have is rated to 90kg), and I can tow it with bike or trike!

I'd be really interested if someone came out with a tilting trike at an affordable price... there are a few tilting recumbent tadpole trikes, but they tend to have very complicated mechanicals to manage the tilting and integrate some kind of tilt lock so they don't flop over at rest. Full points to the designers for trying, I see the Trego as a development of the Noomad, but we're not quite there yet.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Oh, and I've just spotted something else: there is no true compensated steering for the front wheels... it looks like the front wheels pivot about the axis of the steering tube, so when you turn the bars left, the left wheel moves backwards and the right moves forwards... there's going to be some kind of tyre scrub going on, just about all trikes with this configuration have some kind of Ackerman steering to compensate for the fact that the inner wheel is travelling in a smaller radius in a turn than the outside one. I guess the wheel track has to be small to minimise this effect.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

and narrow track means they need to add the tilt...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I came across this ecargo bike parked opposite side to Lidl in Streatham

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

has a bottom bracket drive?
rjb

Post by rjb »

mercalia wrote:I came across this ecargo bike parked opposite side to Lidl in Streatham

How much booze and sacks of logs does it carry :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Fairweather

Post by Fairweather »

rjb wrote:
mercalia wrote:I came across this ecargo bike parked opposite side to Lidl in Streatham

How much booze and sacks of logs does it carry :lol:

Looks like enough space to get you thoroughly plastered :D
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

update to the original link btw: https://www.bikebiz.com/detachable-trol ... argotrike/

Is that a middle of lidl special? I wouldn't fancy it as the front is way too far in front of me. If I was cycling in London or most cities nowadays, I'd want less of me in front of where my eye line left and right was. As you've got much more weight on a loaded cargo bike you need maximum visibility at junctions so you can make the best judgement to accelerate out, though with decent motors, I suppose it might have some zing to it. It does look well made though, no manufacturers mark on it?