Disgusting littering ...by cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Disgusting littering ...by cyclists

Post by eileithyia »

There are idiotic litter louts in all walks of life. Drives me mad to see get wrappers etc., but a large collection of gas canisters like that makes me question what was going on; can't imagine that many punctures in one spot unless tacks or similar were spread on the road at that point, most cyclists would not carry more than 1-2 canisters anyway. That looks like a group of people up to no good, or having been up to no good somewhere else, emptying their rubbish out of a vehicle...
For the record we have taken a small bag with us on Mallorcan climbs and collected up some of the detritus left behind, pity more of us cannot do the same.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

If I'm going on a link ride and need to take some food with me, then I always take a nappy bag with me.

All rubbish goes in the nappy bag and the bag goes in a pocket and all's well.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N9005 using hovercraft full of eels.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I came across must have been 50+ of these dumped in the gutter of Valley rd near streatham common about a year ago. all empty. must be the NO, laughing gas ones?
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Correct me if I'm wrong - (it has been known :D )
but In my experience CO2 bulbs for cycle inflation are threaded
big_d47f6a14-0457-4f73-ac94-b40d44ba73e7.jpg

in order for them to be screwed into an inflator.
N2O on the other hand, bought on the premise that they are to be used as a propellant for whipped cream bottles, comes in plain topped bulbs as they fit into a holder which is then screwed into the cream bottle.
The fact that a large quantity of these unbranded, threadless bulbs was found would suggest to me that they were NOS being inhaled to get high (probably not by cyclists)
N2O.jpeg
N2O.jpeg (1.68 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

There is a village hall car park on my commute where young men in hatchbacks regularly go, a little pile of these bulbs are there when they leave and I don't think they've been decorating cakes :?
PH

Post by PH »

Revolution wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong - (it has been known :D )
but In my experience CO2 bulbs for cycle inflation are threadedbig_d47f6a14-0457-4f73-ac94-b40d44ba73e7.jpg
in order for them to be screwed into an inflator.

C02 can be either
https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Genui ... -6-pack/LG
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Collect them all up and weigh them in then!!!!!
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

I've come across this on a number of occasions. I think the chance that there have been a large number of groups of cyclists across the country failing to fix punctures while leaving large nukmbers of CO2 canisters behind is about zero. Get with the 21st century guys. It's definitely laughing gas.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Ellieb wrote:I've come across this on a number of occasions. I think the chance that there have been a large number of groups of cyclists across the country failing to fix punctures while leaving large nukmbers of CO2 canisters behind is about zero. Get with the 21st century guys. It's definitely laughing gas.

And the gel wrappers?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

...and the discarded inner tubes?
toontra

Post by toontra »

Spinners wrote:
Ellieb wrote:I've come across this on a number of occasions. I think the chance that there have been a large number of groups of cyclists across the country failing to fix punctures while leaving large nukmbers of CO2 canisters behind is about zero. Get with the 21st century guys. It's definitely laughing gas.

And the gel wrappers?

Round my way there are hundreds of N2O cartridges for every discarded gel wrapper (or inner tube). Their abuse by youngster muppets should not be confused with the behaviour of idiot cyclists.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

I'm not saying cyclists don't litter. But the OP is definitely describing laughing gas use. Other people have hopped onto the thread about other littering, but the scenario described is not about a large group of cyclists dumping cannisters.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

flat tyre wrote:...and the discarded inner tubes?

In all my 43 years of riding around the countryside I have never come across a discarded inner tube. If I did, I'd take it home, fix it and use it as a spare.

Given the general detritus of fast food packaging, etc which litters most of our countryside, I think the finger is being pointed at the wrong target here.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

TrevA wrote:
flat tyre wrote:...and the discarded inner tubes?

In all my 43 years of riding around the countryside I have never come across a discarded inner tube. If I did, I'd take it home, fix it and use it as a spare.

Given the general detritus of fast food packaging, etc which litters most of our countryside, I think the finger is being pointed at the wrong target here.

Hmm, you've obviously not been looking very hard then!
meic

Post by meic »

I assumed they were leaving them out for me to repair and re-use, which is of course preferable to putting them into landfill.

However will donors please note that I have all the 700C 23mm inner tubes that I could possibly ever use, how about giving me a 25-35, 20-28 or even some 26" 1.5's (presta) for once.
Yma o Hyd
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My brother found a discarded rib dinghy, he took it home, fixed the puncture, sold it on ebay for £250. I might start riding sportive routes the next day to see how many tubes I can collect, or will someone else have got there first?