BBC: Cyclist dies after hit by minibus following Edinburgh tram track fall

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ellieb

Re: BBC: Cyclist dies after hit by minibus following Edinburgh tram track fall

Post by Ellieb »

^ You can't do that because the left turn lanes have a separate filter.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:
Grandad wrote:A happier outcome but an example of how every tramway system creates additional hazards for cyclists. Or does anyone know of one that is 100% acceptable?

I think one of the Austrian systems now has no-groove velostrail tiles (see picture for an example) at all street crossings/runnings but I don't remember which one.

That is a nice picture of an old tram on reserved track

Can you explain how the tiles work, it is not clear from the photo. Diolch

Tiles are stiff enough to support cyclists, and are level with the tracks.

Trams are heavy enough to squash it out of the way, giving them access to the sides of the track
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Anything in the UK?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

[XAP]Bob wrote:...

Trams are heavy enough to squash it out of the way, giving them access to the sides of the track

Apparently rubber infill would not survive the Edinburgh Busses:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103418.msg2175049#msg2175049
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:...

Apparently rubber infill would not survive the Edinburgh Busses:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103418.msg2175049#msg2175049

So get rid of them, or move them to other routes...

After all there is actually a public transport options on these roads now.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Or replace the trams with hybrid trolley buses...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Is it my imagination, or, are there a greater number of young women being involved in accidents like this? ie conflict with infrastructure, vehicles etc. Don't know what the stats are, but, seems to be the case from reports I've seen. Is it a confidence problem? Or am I stereotyping? As a slightly tenuous example, I had a word with a 'younger woman' the other day, after watching her wobbling along in the gutter, looking very nervous - not sure if she appreciated my 'help', or not!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mjr

Post by mjr »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Is it my imagination, or, are there a greater number of young women being involved in accidents like this? ie conflict with infrastructure, vehicles etc. Don't know what the stats are, but, seems to be the case from reports I've seen.

I discussed this in depth on another forum recently, sifting through the casualty data, and I was slightly wrong so I now think, in short, it may be your imagination, or a similar semi-detached reason like the news preferring to report cases of young women who they think their readers will enjoy looking at or something. The casualty stats are pretty much reflective of the mix of people cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup! I think you're probably right, although I did see somewhere that left hooks, at traffic lights etc seemed to catch out more woman than men - I think the logic was a lack of confidence, and more deference?
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

If I had to cycle on the tram routes in Edinburgh, it would be on a fat bike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Yup! I think you're probably right, although I did see somewhere that left hooks, at traffic lights etc seemed to catch out more woman than men - I think the logic was a lack of confidence, and more deference?

I remember that, but while it seems plausible, it seems it's not supported by the data. There are cases of men hit at lights too which don't seem to get as much media attention unless they're particularly outrageous (Brian Holt, for example). I feel that myth has been replaced by an equally-misleading "common-sense" accusation that many injuries/fatalities are the fault of suicidal cyclists riding up the left-hand sides of large vehicles - even though many still won't do that, despite road markings directing them to do exactly that.

Back to the trams: how wide are the tram track slots?

And are the rails proud of the surface enough that even fat tyres might slide along them?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Think I agree with you about this 'common sense' myth! Like the one that is applied to helmet wearing :-) I think you're probably right about the tram tracks still being a problem as well. Have ridden the mtb on the road, with fairly 'chunky' tyres, and still get easily effected by relatively minor imperfections in the road. I reckon they would be detrimental, irrespective of the tyre type/size !!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Yup! I think you're probably right, although I did see somewhere that left hooks, at traffic lights etc seemed to catch out more woman than men - I think the logic was a lack of confidence, and more deference?

I remember that, but while it seems plausible, it seems it's not supported by the data.

While women are less likely overall to die in traffic collisions, a disproportionate number of women are killed in collisions with HGVs in urban traffic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... afety.html
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 41420.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom