Forced someone off the road, and pleased with my actions...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Forced someone off the road, and pleased with my actions...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Coming round a sweeping bend into a village, at somewhat over 20mph....

Two horses on the other side of the road - I chuck the anchors out and come to a rapid stop and stand up, but the lead horse has already decided that they want nothing to do with me and gone sideways off the road and across the pavement....

Now standing up, I talk to the horses and riders, and the lead rider gets back control and after passing me (30-40 yards easily) retakes the road...

Not good for the commute time, but far better than the alternative...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
flat tyre

Re: Forced someone off the road, and pleased with my actions...

Post by flat tyre »

Probably slightly better outcome than one of my recent encounters with horses. Came round a bend, not all that fast, probably 12mph, whole family on horses, led by father on huge horse, so slowed down to less than walking pace, go past father having made eye contact, just as I pass horse turns sideways across the road with hind legs towards me, so sensing danger I stand on the pedals to move out of the way, look back to see large horse depositing father into the ditch beside the road, continue to make my escape in case I'm somehow to blame.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Recumbent?

I once had a very informing chat with an animal psychologist

Apparently because they are low and compact, Horses see them as a predator and react accordingly

You wil have far more problems than an ordinary bike, and even if you pull over and are stationary, the shape can still spook a horse
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:Recumbent?

I once had a very informing chat with an animal psychologist

Apparently because they are low and compact, Horses see them as a predator and react accordingly

You wil have far more problems than an ordinary bike, and even if you pull over and are stationary, the shape can still spook a horse

Yes, I have had a number of experiences with horses - and hence I stop and stand - becoming human shaped does wonders for most horses
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Had that once recently :( Luckily there was a field gate to my left.
We both surprised each other, the horse had gone sidewards, but rider was in control and was good about it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rider wasn't really on control for a while - horse will always see me before they do, and certainly before they can react
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I'm sure I've seen this mentioned previously on here, but anyhoo... I was chatting with some horse riders who'd tied up their steeds at a pub in Dartmoor. They were saying that they had no problems with cars and noisy motorbikes but weren't at all keen on bicycles. The reason is that bicycles, being silent, will catch the horse unawares and that's what causes them to panic. The solution would be for us to loudly advertise our presence well in advance of overtaking them, e.g. by shouting 'alright mate - just letting you know I'm about to overtake you, so I don't startle your horse.' I think I'd feel a bit too foolish to actually do this, but apparently they'd appreciate it.
Username

Post by Username »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Coming round a sweeping bend into a village, at somewhat over 20mph....

Two horses on the other side of the road - I chuck the anchors out and come to a rapid stop and stand up, but the lead horse has already decided that they want nothing to do with me and gone sideways off the road and across the pavement....

Now standing up, I talk to the horses and riders, and the lead rider gets back control and after passing me (30-40 yards easily) retakes the road...

Not sure I inderstand this. Did the horse suddenly bolt off road and drop (or nearly drop) the rider? Did the horse bolt towards you and then off the road? What force did you use to send someone off the road and what is it you are pleased about?
Gone sideways? I will take this metaphorically, never seen a horse move sideway before. (Altho I have seen one updside down believe it or not).
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Slightly off topic, I liked the story in Cycle clips this week about the horse riding cowboy who lassoed a fleeing cycle thief
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Username wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Coming round a sweeping bend into a village, at somewhat over 20mph....

Not sure I inderstand this. Did the horse suddenly bolt off road and drop (or nearly drop) the rider? Did the horse bolt towards you and then off the road? What force did you use to send someone off the road and what is it you are pleased about?
Gone sideways? I will take this metaphorically, never seen a horse move sideway before. (Altho I have seen one updside down believe it or not).

I used no physical force, but the horse quite suddenly, and in a way that was not under the control of their rider, stopped moving forward and walked sideways off the road, there was probably some backward component to the sideways as well (watch some dressage for controlled walking in all sorts of directions).
[youtube]OtnJjajT5XE[/youtube]

The rider was not thrown, but it did take her a while to regain control - this was probably shortened by the fact that I stopped being a predator shape, and became a human shape (that is what I am reasonably pleased about - and the fact that my instant reaction on seeing horses on the road was just to drop anchors, stop, and stand - I was braking before I saw the horse going sideways.

Obviously there is some poetic license in the thread title, but it is actually a reasonable description - my presence on that stretch of tarmac was enough to force another person off the road (by spooking the horse) in the same way that a cyclist can be scared into an accident without any contact being made.
OTOH I was quite pleased with my actions and response - which started before I could tell there was an issue at all (the moment I saw the horses) and almost certainly reduced the difficulties faced by the rider(s).
Username

Post by Username »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Username wrote:

I used no physical force, but the horse quite suddenly, and in a way that was not under the control of their rider, stopped moving forward and walked sideways off the road, there was probably some backward component to the sideways as well (watch some dressage for controlled walking in all sorts of directions).
[youtube]OtnJjajT5XE[/youtube]

The rider was not thrown, but it did take her a while to regain control - this was probably shortened by the fact that I stopped being a predator shape, and became a human shape (that is what I am reasonably pleased about - and the fact that my instant reaction on seeing horses on the road was just to drop anchors, stop, and stand - I was braking before I saw the horse going sideways.

Obviously there is some poetic license in the thread title, but it is actually a reasonable description - my presence on that stretch of tarmac was enough to force another person off the road (by spooking the horse) in the same way that a cyclist can be scared into an accident without any contact being made.
OTOH I was quite pleased with my actions and response - which started before I could tell there was an issue at all (the moment I saw the horses) and almost certainly reduced the difficulties faced by the rider(s).

I see what you mean now :wink: .
I get very nervous around horses myself. Even riding along a canal side, I can trigger a horse to go like ****. Fortunately that horse was in a field out of the way, but just the sound of its hooves hitting the ground gives a sense of how powerful these animals are. One of those things being smashed into you will cave you in. Sounds like you reacted appropriately, I would also do my best to stay well clear of horses, and I am weary of other animals on or near the road aswell.
peetee

Post by peetee »

For years now I have passed hundreds of signs in the New Forest and elsewhere warning of animal casualties on the road, giving consideration to horse riders and passing animals with care but never have I seen advice on just what is the best way to do this. In The Forest this is combined with a top speed limit of 40mph which is still much to fast for many locations and insanely fast for any passing vehicle in an area where wild and accompanied animals are frequently within inches of, or on the highway. The high casualty rate is testament to the fact that so many people still see the 'speed limit' as being the 'best velocity'.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep, on a bent the priority is to stop looking like a predator and start looking human...

That requires stopping AND standing, which can be annoying, but as you say - they are seriously powerful animals
hamster

Post by hamster »

DevonDamo wrote:I'm sure I've seen this mentioned previously on here, but anyhoo... I was chatting with some horse riders who'd tied up their steeds at a pub in Dartmoor. They were saying that they had no problems with cars and noisy motorbikes but weren't at all keen on bicycles. The reason is that bicycles, being silent, will catch the horse unawares and that's what causes them to panic. The solution would be for us to loudly advertise our presence well in advance of overtaking them, e.g. by shouting 'alright mate - just letting you know I'm about to overtake you, so I don't startle your horse.' I think I'd feel a bit too foolish to actually do this, but apparently they'd appreciate it.

I live in a heavily horsey area, it makes a huge difference to slow a little and call to the rider "bike behind! bike on your right! " or similar. Usually I get a thnk you. The horse's ears always swivel round, so clearly the thing has also worked out my presence.

I have a lot of sympathy with riders - sitting on top of half a ton of crazed meat with dodgy steering and no brakes can't be relaxing. :D