Nine-year-old boy becomes youngest to ride from London to Paris

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

"Nine-year-old Alfie Earl has ridden from London to Paris, becoming the youngest known person to do so. His 12-year-old sister, Saskia, joined him on the ride and is believed to be the youngest girl to complete the trip."

"Alfie and Saskia set off from Blackheath on Saturday and made it to the Eiffel Tower yesterday afternoon"

Lucky to have parents that have encourged this?

http://road.cc/content/news/223464-nine-year-old-boy-becomes-youngest-ride-london-paris
100%JR

Re: Nine-year-old boy becomes youngest to ride from London to Paris

Post by 100%JR »

I think it's brilliant.
A fellow CC member and his 9 year old climbed Mount Tiede in Tenerife last December and I saw an article about an 8 year old climbing The Galibier.
If they enjoy it I see no reason not to encourage them.My son(9 1/2) wants to climb Alpe d'Huez and Ventoux with me next year for my 50th(may let him do one of them)and I think we're going to to the C2C or Way of the Roses too as a dad/son Camping trip 8)
If they're fit enough,have road sense and are comfortable on the Road then I'm all for it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Incredible! good on the pair of them :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Plushia

Post by Plushia »

No he is not youngest... by far not....
youngest is 6 and 8 if there are no youngest:

http://www.donaldhirsch.com/records.html
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Good for them, but not that incredible.... as members of Go Ride clubs we see youngsters doing all sorts, we had a 7yo complete the C2C, it is just a matter of breaking it up into manageable amounts. The young lady in question did it with her family and did not join some of the older ones (10+) who did the official club holiday over 5 days... again ensuring it was manageable distances for the young people involved.

Last week we were in Mallorca and spotted some quite young children tackling the climb up 'Selva' gorge, they were having a rest break when I passed them so were not doing it one climb..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Plushia

Post by Plushia »

eileithyia wrote:Good for them, but not that incredible.... as members of Go Ride clubs we see youngsters doing all sorts, we had a 7yo complete the C2C, it is just a matter of breaking it up into manageable amounts. The young lady in question did it with her family and did not join some of the older ones (10+) who did the official club holiday over 5 days... again ensuring it was manageable distances for the young people involved.

Last week we were in Mallorca and spotted some quite young children tackling the climb up 'Selva' gorge, they were having a rest break when I passed them so were not doing it one climb..

Totally agree...
As above 6 years old boy and 8 years old girl have cycled it... in actually cold weather.
It is just matter of fitness or breaking it in chunks....
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Not everybody who does things like this sees the need to publicise it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Plushia

Post by Plushia »

[quote="Mike Sales"]Not everybody who does things like this sees the need to publicise it.[/quote/
:)
Last edited by Plushia on 23 Apr 2018, 10:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I guess being around cycling since I was 18, have seen all the ways in which families, and children are incorporated into cycling life from the very start. My first visit to York Rally opened my eyes that starting a family doesn't mean cycling stops (not that it was something on my radar at that stage of my life)... for us it is just a normal way of life. So hearing of youngsters riding these 'challenges' is not something remarkable. We would not expect families to comment on their child playing in junior football leagues as being remarkable, as it is probably perceived as the norm within some family groups.

This does not mean I see it as good thing for a child to do, it is just not that remarkable TBH.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells