Lenient?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Lenient?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No need for it to cost the public purse - it's just a cost to be borne by those wishing to continue driving (question, what would Inpay?)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Barks

Post by Barks »

If you overtake a cyclist and do not give them enough room, i.e. You hit them then, I fail to understand how that could not be dangerous driving. The problem is that the driver simply says "I didn't see them' so the CPS will inevitably only look to prosecute a carelesss driving offence, i.e. The driver was not paying sufficent attention to what us on the road ahead of them. Oh and if you rear end a cyclist at night who has the correct lights but not wearing reflective gear you get off completely. The solution has to be that if you do not see what is in front of you then you cannot be paying sufficient attention - that is a very dangerous way to drive. In my view there is no such thing as Careless Driving. The law needs to change. If drivers thought that they might face dangerous driving prosecutions then they just might take the whole thing more seriously. Just a final thought, using a mobile phone means you are not looking where you are going - that is obviously dangerous, conviction of which carries the possibility of a significant jail sentence. 6 points and £200 is a waste of time, let's get real here.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pete75 wrote:
MikeF wrote:Only 22 months jail. Appalling. Will he serve all of it??
In the same paper 31 months for killing a motor cyclist. http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/jail-for-motorist-who-caused-motorcyclist-death-in-bottesford-1-7990745

It was 40 months, 22 for the driving and 18 for perverting the course of justice. . The motorcyclist case was causing death by dangerous driving whereas the cyclist one was causing death by careless driving and difficult to prove anything else without witnesses.

As I said only 22 months for the driving offence ie killing someone. Someone isn't killed by perverting the course of justice. Both the cyclist and motor cyclist were victims, and their assailants seem to have had very light sentences in my view.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perverting the course of justice is taken very seriously - IIRC it was what brought Huhne down. It's a common law misdemeanour: not created by statute but by judges themselves in the distant past so, as no punishment has been set by Parliament, the theoretical max is life imprisonment. Remember, the sentence here will have been after the mitigation for promptly surrendering to the police.

In certain quarters, PCOJ is an acronym

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1201594