How do you deal with an angry car driver?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Re: How do you deal with an angry car driver?

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Don't know how you deal with your particular 'incident', but, I do know exactly how you feel - think I'd probably have behaved the same. As other commenters, I've had a few 'dodgy situations' none that came to anything, thank goodness. I do think a lot of how you react is down to your state of mind at the time. I've had situations where I've thought bugger it, I'm going to confront this driver etc, then think about it and decide it could go tits up, if I'm not careful - just ride on, enjoy the ride, and forget it.
I had a recent one, a close fast overtake with horn blaring, to which I responded with a single finger royal wave, and a few loud invectives. The driver promptly slammed on his brakes, and stopped in the middle of the A road, Oooops! This could be interesting! Sitting up, to my full height, luckily 6' 4", I think it made all the difference, I rode up to the drivers side door, to ask what his problem was, whereupon he swore at me, and roared off! Even if nothing happens, it certainly makes the pulse rate increase ! :-(
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Instead of trying later to think what one should have said or done one good strategy in many cases is to say/do nothing, just ignore them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I had a miserable cow bag yesterday - I was cycling down a road with parked cars on both sides, approaching a T junction at the end. Car turns into the road from the T junction, pauses briefly, and then proceeds to carry on blocking my exit. We both stop, and cow bag driver leans out the window shouting 'why don't you get by? there's plenty of room' I pointed out that there really wasn't. Eventually after a few more seconds of deadlock she reverses back to open up a gap. At the point she had stopped there was maybe a gap of about one foot on one side and perhaps two feet or so on the other. Not big enough for the Bakfiets cargo bike I was riding at the time. As I passed she shouted [rude word removed] at me. I responded by suggesting she was an awkward bitch who deliberately driven so as to block the road.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Strictly, I suppose, the obstruction was on his side. Now of course he couldn't have seen you coming in time to avoid the situation, but it would still be his duty first to get out of your way, once it had arisen.

In practice, of course, reasonable people in such situations both grin at each other and co-operate to deal with the issue as best they can.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

drossall wrote:Strictly, I suppose, the obstruction was on his side. Now of course he couldn't have seen you coming in time to avoid the situation, but it would still be his duty first to get out of your way, once it had arisen.

In practice, of course, reasonable people in such situations both grin at each other and co-operate to deal with the issue as best they can.

I agree,but however all too often the motorist to cyclist bullying instinct kicks in :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Sometimes it's a good idea to imagine they are carrying a gun because a car is just as lethal in the wrong hands.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I still think things are getting better. These days, quite a few motorists are cyclists, or know cyclists, or have heard friends talk about cycling. That's sufficient an effect that others are seeing cyclists overtaken properly, and so on. You only need a certain percentage to change behaviour to have an effect on everyone else.

I'm not denying that there are still problems out there. However, I really think it's improving. Which seems to put me in a minority of one.
pwa

Post by pwa »

drossall wrote:I still think things are getting better. These days, quite a few motorists are cyclists, or know cyclists, or have heard friends talk about cycling. That's sufficient an effect that others are seeing cyclists overtaken properly, and so on. You only need a certain percentage to change behaviour to have an effect on everyone else.

I'm not denying that there are still problems out there. However, I really think it's improving. Which seems to put me in a minority of one.

No, I agree, so we are in a minority of two.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
drossall wrote:I still think things are getting better. These days, quite a few motorists are cyclists, or know cyclists, or have heard friends talk about cycling. That's sufficient an effect that others are seeing cyclists overtaken properly, and so on. You only need a certain percentage to change behaviour to have an effect on everyone else.

No, I agree, so we are in a minority of two.

+1or should that be 3 :)
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Improving, but still much worse than decent.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I think that motorists' attitude and behaviour towards cyclists have improved, probably due to the significant increase in the popularity of cycling over the last ten years. The more cyclists there are, the more conspicuous we become and the more aware of our existence motorists are obliged to be.
Unfortunately, however, the mere act of getting behind the wheel of a car is enough to transform some people from Jekylls into Hydes; to drivers like these, consideration and empathy will always remain utterly meaningless concepts.
awavey

Post by awavey »

reohn2 wrote:
drossall wrote:Strictly, I suppose, the obstruction was on his side. Now of course he couldn't have seen you coming in time to avoid the situation, but it would still be his duty first to get out of your way, once it had arisen.

I agree,but however all too often the motorist to cyclist bullying instinct kicks in :?

I was cycling down the road where I live, parked cars on the right with an occasional gap, I was not quite prime but fair enough across to avoid all the potholes and horrible camber at the edge of the road and I had a learner driver under instruction, just carried on driving straight towards me, they passed a gap they could and should have stopped in. and it was basically get out of the way into the gutter or Im driving into you.

there were some hand signals exchanged.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

awavey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I was cycling down the road where I live, parked cars on the right with an occasional gap, I was not quite prime but fair enough across to avoid all the potholes and horrible camber at the edge of the road and I had a learner driver under instruction, just carried on driving straight towards me, they passed a gap they could and should have stopped in. and it was basically get out of the way into the gutter or Im driving into you.

there were some hand signals exchanged.

That was a situation where it might have been appropriate to have a few strong words with the *driving instructor*, embarrass her in front of the pupil!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
softlips

Post by softlips »

I was waiting at traffic lights a few months ago at a crossroads. Next to me was a driving instructor (no pupil). I looked several times to see if he was indicating to turn but nothing. Then just as the lights changed and I flipped in he stuck his incator on, "now you signal" I said and he heard. He wound the window down and started shouting obscenities at me, said he didn't like hearing the indicators tick so didn't have them on at traffic lights. I started to explain if he'd been indicating I'd have let him go around me as this is safer all round. He then started telling me to F off so I started to ride away. He followed me (going straight on despite his indicator signalling left) and swerved close to me then stopped. Then he flung his door open as I passed. By this time I was quite concerned and actually rode into and estate and hid up someone's drive behind a caravan.

I so wish I'd have had a camera. I was going to report it but without evidence thought what's the point. My wife is also a driving instructor and tracked him down, emailed him giving him a bollocking.

What cameras are out there to protect yourself in these situations? I don't want something big like a GoPro, just something cheap and small that will record continuously but perhaps allow you to press a button Andre save the last five minutes, or auto save in an accident.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

softlips wrote:I was waiting at traffic lights a few months ago at a crossroads. Next to me was a driving instructor (no pupil). I looked several times to see if he was indicating to turn but nothing. Then just as the lights changed and I flipped in he stuck his incator on, "now you signal" I said and he heard. He wound the window down and started shouting obscenities at me, said he didn't like hearing the indicators tick so didn't have them on at traffic lights. I started to explain if he'd been indicating I'd have let him go around me as this is safer all round. He then started telling me to F off so I started to ride away. He followed me (going straight on despite his indicator signalling left) and swerved close to me then stopped. Then he flung his door open as I passed. By this time I was quite concerned and actually rode into and estate and hid up someone's drive behind a caravan.

I so wish I'd have had a camera. I was going to report it but without evidence thought what's the point. My wife is also a driving instructor and tracked him down, emailed him giving him a bollocking.

What cameras are out there to protect yourself in these situations? I don't want something big like a GoPro, just something cheap and small that will record continuously but perhaps allow you to press a button Andre save the last five minutes, or auto save in an accident.

And who knows what prejudice he's peddling to his students on a daily basis,I would've reported him to the driving instructors association.
W H Auden