How do you deal with an angry car driver?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Beekeeping Biker

How do you deal with an angry car driver?

Post by Beekeeping Biker »

I had my first ever little road rage incident this morning on my commute to work which has left me feeling perplexed.

I was cycling along a minor road with houses either side and a line of cars parked on the opposite side of the road to me. As the road veered round to the right and downhill a car came around on my side (due to the parked cars). Neither of us were travelling fast and neither of us could see each other until we were basically 20 feet from each other. I braked and pulled up snug as I could to the kerb and the driver just shook his head at me and kept coming. As we past each other he stopped; so I pulled in to see what was going on and he reversed towards me with his head out the window...

I can type the interaction because I have it all on GoPro. (I don't post the videos, its purely a "just in case" safety device)

Driver "Alright mate?"
Me " Yes, Are you alright?"
[I went over to him as he seemed concerned]
Me (half laughing and smiling in bemusement) "Why are you shaking your head, I was just cycling on my side of the road"
Driver (getting Red) "You were coming straight at me!"
Me "I was against the Kerb"
Driver "So is there a problem or something?"
Me "I don't have a problem with you, I was just cycling against the Kerb and you came by shaking your head, that's all that happened"
Driver "That's alright then" [Pause] "You best get out of the way before you get run over!"
Me "Alright"

I left at that point because I didn't like the sound of the "Run over" part...

It was one of those unavoidable encounters, nobody was in the wrong in my mind but somehow despite being friendly and polite, it made him angry - Funny world we live in.
mjr

Re: How do you deal with an angry car driver?

Post by mjr »

That's sinister but please don't worry about it. Just save the video (ideally the memory card it's saved on), report the incident to your local police (some areas have special-purpose web pages for reporting video'd road incidents) and keep on cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My reply to his "run over" quip would've been "why am I not allowed on the road or something?" Or if I he'd driven too close to me I might have quiped back "make way,make way for the arrogant car driver who owns all the road with no room for others" and wait for his answer,followed by "are you threatening to run me over?" I would've also reminded him I had as much right to the road as any other vehicle.
The arrogance of so many car drivers does astound me at times,but with no law enforcement and the leniency showed to motorists for some of the most gross driving crime,I can sort of understand their belief they're untouchable,especially with regards to vulnerable road users and particularly cyclists.
Some motorists despise cyclists for no other reason that they're there.
The tail has been wagging the dog for far to long on UK roads IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

That sounded quite tame compared to some of the encounters I've had! I've found that you are never going to win an argument with a driver, views become entrenched in both sides and sometimes you just have to agree to differ. I try not to get involved nowadays unless I fell I've been put in real danger.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

This is how I'd deal with it.

*Expletive Deleted* you stupid ignorant *Expletive Deleted*.

That should do it. Unless he was 6 foot 6 and built like a brick toilet.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Ride on, chill, enjoy your day. These people don't listen to rational arguments so it's not worth any further effort.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

reohn2 wrote:Some motorists despise cyclists for no other reason that they're there.
The tail has been wagging the dog for far to long on UK roads IMHO.

I can personally vouch for the fact that it's been going on since at least 1962. I was only 13 years old at the time and cycling along the main street in Bilston when a motorist overtook me, pulled in suddenly to park and then opened his door to get out without looking, leaving me with nowhere to go but into his door.
Even though the collision was entirely his own fault, I was subjected to a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse and angry threats by the driver, a fully grown adult much bigger than me. That's when I first realized that you can't argue with a sick mind...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I just do my best not to let them ruin my ride. There are a couple of times that if I'd had a recording, I would have reported them to police for threatening or dangerous behaviour. There were a couple of times that I did report it, but of course, nothing came of it without evidence.

I have to admit that I probably wouldn't have stuck aorund if someone looked to be stopping or reversing towards me. Having been abused in similar situations in the past, I'd just rather not have to deal with it.

Obviously, I don't know what the road situation was like from the description, but I'm quite bold with my road positioning in situations like that. I would normally take the lane unless it was obvious that the only alternative was to risk being run over. then, I might get right off the road, rather than just pulling up tot he kerb. Faced with a cyclist in primary, most drivers stop and wait, even if they don't like it. Pulling up to the kerb potentially risks them driving fast and close, in a situation where there isn't really room.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

I once had a little road rage incident when I driver cut me up badly and I slapped the roof of his car. We finished up in queuing traffic with him out of the car and telling me that if I did that again he would do me damage. So I slapped the roof of his car again and said that he better get on with it because I have a low boredom threshold and when the lights changed I would be going. I did that knowing that the eyes of numerous commuters were on us and if he hit me it was not going to play out well for him with all those witnesses. He pushed me to get me to react, at which point a lady driver got out of her car and said if I needed a witness she was willing. It finished with the bloke driving off in a huff.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

flat tyre wrote:Ride on, chill, enjoy your day. These people don't listen to rational arguments so it's not worth any further effort.

You're right unless I have speak such Richard heads I don't as a rule,it's not worth the expression of breath on such idiots.
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote:I once had a little road rage incident when I driver cut me up badly and I slapped the roof of his car. We finished up in queuing traffic with him out of the car and telling me that if I did that again he would do me damage. So I slapped the roof of his car again and said that he better get on with it because I have a low boredom threshold and when the lights changed I would be going. I did that knowing that the eyes of numerous commuters were on us and if he hit me it was not going to play out well for him with all those witnesses. He pushed me to get me to react, at which point a lady driver got out of her car and said if I needed a witness she was willing. It finished with the bloke driving off in a huff.

pwa, I had a very similar experience which ended up with the driver driving at speed along the pavement to try and catch me. Whilst tempting, it's not worth it IMO. Entirely innocent people could easily have died.
pwa

Post by pwa »

BrianFox wrote:
pwa wrote:I once had a little road rage incident when I driver cut me up badly and I slapped the roof of his car. We finished up in queuing traffic with him out of the car and telling me that if I did that again he would do me damage. So I slapped the roof of his car again and said that he better get on with it because I have a low boredom threshold and when the lights changed I would be going. I did that knowing that the eyes of numerous commuters were on us and if he hit me it was not going to play out well for him with all those witnesses. He pushed me to get me to react, at which point a lady driver got out of her car and said if I needed a witness she was willing. It finished with the bloke driving off in a huff.

pwa, I had a very similar experience which ended up with the driver driving at speed along the pavement to try and catch me. Whilst tempting, it's not worth it IMO. Entirely innocent people could easily have died.

If you are in control of yourself you should certainly think about how you behave, and what could happen if the other party flips. In my case I was in stationary traffic with lots of witnesses if the bloke got violent. I also don't find the idea of being hit frightening. Knife and gun crime are very rare here, so being punched was the most likely way it could have gone wrong. I was not in a mood to back down. That could be seen as a weakness, but that's how it was. Having a row with someone in a moving vehicle would be less than ideal. It would take only one second of blind rage for them to use their vehicle as a weapon. And most of us have a family waiting for us at home.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

In two minds about this one:

On one hand it's always most sensible to minimize confrontation. It's safer and ruins your day less.

On the other if no one stands up to a bully they are going to keep doing it and maybe getting worse.

Almost wish we were allowed guns, like the US, then people like that would have to think "Is he/she armed?" before they start pushing someone around. But if we were, the bullies would be the first ones choosing to carry a weapon, so I'm glad we're not.
Beekeeping Biker

Post by Beekeeping Biker »

Believe me I would love to have a bit more bark but the reality is that I am about as terrifying as a Pug.

Its a quiet road the time I cycled through there this morning at 06:35am and I can't remember having seen that car anywhere on my route before(not that I would remember cars).
Knowing my luck I will no doubt have the pleasure of meeting him along the same stretch of road every single day from now on.

I guess I could go a different route, or leave earlier, but that would be very inconvenient and part of me thinks "why should I have to do that"

I suppose if it happens again then that would justify a police complaint.

I feel better now anyway, thanks for the thoughts...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ruadh495 wrote:In two minds about this one:

On one hand it's always most sensible to minimize confrontation. It's safer and ruins your day less.

On the other if no one stands up to a bully they are going to keep doing it and maybe getting worse.

I agree I've had situations where after a chat and alls been OK.
OTOH,I've had situations where people have either threatened me with violence and when I've invited them get out of their vehicle they've thought better of it,and one situation that ended up with me hitting my assailant with the bike that didn't end well for Mr Tw@tinamerc.
Down the years I've had some of the most bizarre conversations with people who've been so cock sure of the law with regard to cycling they've been genuinely shocked when I put them straight,along with people who've been equally as shocked when l've informed them yes I do own a car and yes I do like riding a bike for pleasure.

I find it quite amazing the mindset of some drivers,but it needs reinforcing that these loonies are a small minority though a potentially lethal one.

Almost wish we were allowed guns, like the US, then people like that would have to think "Is he/she armed?" before they start pushing someone around. But if we were, the bullies would be the first ones choosing to carry a weapon, so I'm glad we're not.

Being very careful what you wish for there are a few crazy people walking around in our society,it's bad enough they're allowed to drive without them owning guns :shock:
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Jun 2017, 5:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden