Amsterdam

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roberts8

Amsterdam

Post by roberts8 »

In Amsterdam for four days. May hire a bike but the weather is foul.
I just love the way cyclists move so freely around sharing the cycle tracks with small motor scooters and not a helmet to be seen. Cargo bikes with three children on board and no issues and loads of interesting bikes around. If only we could could emulate the Dutch. Really suffering bike lane envy.
flat tyre

Re: Amsterdam

Post by flat tyre »

I was in Amsterdam for 4 days holiday with Mrs FT last year. We hired bikes for the duration and used them a fair bit. I have to say that cycling in Amsterdam is not for the faint hearted though. To start with the bikes may have been designed by Fred Flintstone judging by their weight compared with our bikes at home, Mrs FT found it quite difficult to manhandle the bike when not actually riding. The Amsterdam cyclists know where they are going and are not very tolerant of bumbling tourists in the very busy cycle lanes and you have to be aware of scooters and mopeds also in the cycle lanes, some of these are electric so make very little noise as they approach. On the whole though it was good fun and we found a lot of places that we probably wouldn't have done just on foot.