Good Deed.............Not So Ride.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Good Deed.............Not So Ride.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Went off on Friday for more torture on the tourer, ltd top gear, decided on two big hills (800-900 foot) and a longer distance 64M.
1ST hill some 0.5 mph slower than a previous run with a heavier bike, got to steepest part and really hard at it when overtaken by a young female :lol: Seconds later crested part of hill and changed up a few gears but my new friend dropped back (probably choice and turning off anyway). Haldon Devon 46" gear.

Took a short rest a few minutes then plummeted down hill at a some what reduced speed, minus 6mph from normal breakneck speed, must be the wind and lack of a good top gear :mrgreen:

Back to A38 and up Teign Valley, up six mile hill (now doing on 52" gear) stopped at Mortenhampstead for a breather and a bite to eat few mins.
Passed by a roadie whilst resting and went off 30 seconds later to comfortably catch up, thought my style a bit clunky, but guy had calves like a fullback :) On hitting a hill would sit powering up forcing calves to do all the work, short while later noticed that his under sadle tool bag had come unhitched, we stopped and usually I have everything but kitchen sink but could only offer several lack bands.
We carried on our way but not before the wind had knocked my bike over and hit the tarmack, that gravelly stuff with nice sharp edges.

A small split in saddle, new bar tape is split, and poor old bar end shifter took a hammering, rear derailleur mount bolt saved the mech, :(
Did stop again before getting home, 15.1 mph 64M, 80' / mile, 3hr 54 min in saddle, better luck next time.
This is probably the most damage ever that I have done to any of my bikes ever as I am normally very careful.........since cycle proficiency at school :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Re: Good Deed.............Not So Ride.

Post by 661-Pete »

Seems like karma don't always go the way it oughta....

At least you sound undamaged. Bikes can be fixed. Humans - not so easy!

Better luck next ride.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).