Road Closed Ahead

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PRL

Re: Road Closed Ahead

Post by PRL »

Usually Yippee ! Traffic free roads and at worst I need to walk a few yards on the footway. It just goes to show that creating a cycle route just (!) needs the removal of through traffic - no building needed.

Just one occasion having cycled down a long hill the road was totally blocked under a railway arch. :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When we lived there, some of the contractors carrying out work in Essex were reasonably good about indicating whether cyclists and pedestrians could pass, but some were really awful.

If it doesn't say, I usually carry on and see if I can get past. I have had to carry my bike a couple of times, and once, I put it over the fence on the construction site (unoccupied at the time) because what had been marked as a route for pedestrians was cut off by the fence (maybe it had moved?), and rather than go round (two miles) I trespassed for 4 or 5 metres on the site. There was evidence that I was not the only one to do so. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I proceed, with caution if contractors are about. But while I'll always ensure the JCB, 360 excavator, 20 ton truck operator or whatever knows I'm there, can't say I've ever had an issue.

The best road closed was heading back to France from Turin in 2008, road closed, bridge washed away, didn't cause me any issues and had the benefits of a traffic free road over the alps. The only downside being a couple of aggressive wild boar sunning themselves on the carriageway!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:When we lived there, some of the contractors carrying out work in Essex were reasonably good about indicating whether cyclists and pedestrians could pass, but some were really awful.

If it doesn't say, I usually carry on and see if I can get past. I have had to carry my bike a couple of times, and once, I put it over the fence on the construction site (unoccupied at the time) because what had been marked as a route for pedestrians was cut off by the fence (maybe it had moved?), and rather than go round (two miles) I trespassed for 4 or 5 metres on the site. There was evidence that I was not the only one to do so. :shock:

Naughty naughty, if its a public foot path and your way is blocked you are permitted to go either side IIRC.
Its all common sense, today I committed a few crimes :?
My route has a restriction (one way) and I did not want to detour so I did 20 - 30 yrds the wrong way, very quite and was ready to jump on the pavement. I have no qualms over riding on pavement when traffic is heavy, I don't attract agro from car drivers overtaking them in traffic, but will just hop on pavement and slowly move on, my defence will always be its safer for me.
Not quite like I have seen several cyclist using a cycle lane (two feet wide dashed white line in gutter, is what they call a cycle lane round here)going the wrong way on a busy one way street, completely oblivious to the danger, you get shoved around going the right way with traffic.
Oh..........second crime for a cycle tourist today is sucking on a plastic tube filled with vile red syrup :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Round here they have been doing a lot of road/bridge works. Signs go up saying 'road closed' anything up to several miles before the blockage, it doesn't say where the blockage is, and often many other roads branch off after the closed sign across the road but before the actual closure, and the diversion can easily be 10 miles, sometimes further. The road is often still open for peds and cyclists, but there is never any indication whether pedestrians and/or bikes can go through. Basically, Staffs couldn't give a toss about anyone who isn't driving.

On one occasion there was a sign at a four-way junction saying 'BXXX - bridge closed' but not in which direction or where. The sign was angled badly and was embedded in the verge and easy to miss (which I did, even on the bike). A mile or so further down the road, closed bridge, no access across it. Lots of cars also missed the sign, and had to turn round, as I did, when we got to the bridge.
I was later told that bikes and peds were now being allowed over, but nothing on any signs in advance to say so, so didn't feel like going to see.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Took the chance with the Group (not me ledaing, our Late Chairman with a quite old map) once on the return run from Meriden and after riding 2/3 miles up the "closed road" came upon the Motorway under Construction, about half mile wide and several hundred metres deep.
Had to retrace :cry:
In fact Meriden has been a bit of a bete noir for me in past, had an Cotterless Bottom Bracket Axle Shear Off on the way there another year . Had to send for International Rescue .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out riding today, I came across this ..........................
Road Closed 1.jpeg
I continued through past the sign, fully expecting road works or something.
The sign itself didn't seem correct as per Highways, but maybe it was a spare one they used.

Anyway, I carried on regardless ........................

Then I found out why the road was closed. :lol: :lol:
Road Closed 2.jpeg
Not having my chainsaw with me, I turned round, and took a different route.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not just climbing through?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Absolutely no way through, even as a pedestrian.

To the right, there's a steep bank upwards - almost a cliff.
To the left, there's a steep ravine.
The tree was a big oak of some sort and had fallen off the bank after snapping off from a rotten stump.

It looked to me, that it had been there some days. The road there is little used.

Just here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.41258 ... 284176,17z
The tree was down just before the bend on Bridge Rd near the words "River Tiddy".

I was planning to ride into the village, cross the busy A38 and go north up Church Rd.
I turned round and had to turn right onto the A38. Not easy due to the constant heavy traffic.

Looks like the tree up to the right of this picture was to blame.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.41220 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall