How the Germans get their own back on drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

How the Germans get their own back on drivers

Post by mercalia »

" Drivers who block up cycle lanes as they "pop into the bakery" are a constant thorn in the side of German cyclists. A Cologne politician decided to turn the tables.

Over the weekend, Thomas Geffe posted a picture to Twitter of his bicycle parked in the middle of an urban street. On the back he had stuck a sign reading “just popped into the bakers” "

https://www.thelocal.de/20170620/cyclist-blocks-street-to-pop-into-bakery-and-becomes-internet-hit

but he didnt have the courage of his convictions :lol:
MikeF

Re: How the Germans get their own back on drivers

Post by MikeF »

I know how he feels.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I drove along a road today that always has the bike lane blocked with cars for approx 1/2 a mile,and I wondered what would happen if maybe 50 to a 100 cyclists blocked the road with their bikes as a protest, I'd gladly join and help organise such protests :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Or better still get the cycle lane painted out and improve conditions for everyone. Cyclists and motorists can then use whatever part of the road is appropriate for what they are doing at the time. Motorists won't shout at cyclists riding in the main traffic lane because they are not cringing in the gutter where some numpty from the council has painted a cycle symbol. And cyclists won't get territorial about that gutter should a motorist park in the most appropriate place on the carriageway next to the kerb.

I didn't think there was anyone left who still thought that painting cycle lanes on the road was a good idea.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pete Owens wrote:Or better still get the cycle lane painted out and improve conditions for everyone. Cyclists and motorists can then use whatever part of the road is appropriate for what they are doing at the time. Motorists won't shout at cyclists riding in the main traffic lane because they are not cringing in the gutter where some numpty from the council has painted a cycle symbol. And cyclists won't get territorial about that gutter should a motorist park in the most appropriate place on the carriageway next to the kerb.

I didn't think there was anyone left who still thought that painting cycle lanes on the road was a good idea.

Just been at a meeting where we were told we will soon be forced to cycle on the road on the way into town. Up to now we used cycle paths with no traffic. I guess I will have to disobey the law. Or find another route. Or give up cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

To see how much worse cycle lanes make conditions for cyclists take a look at:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/report/cycle-lanes.pdf
and that is without the additional hazard of riding in the dooring zone as is the case of the German farcility linked by the OP.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:Motorists won't shout at cyclists riding in the main traffic lane because they are not cringing in the gutter where some numpty from the council has painted a cycle symbol.

:lol: Yes they flaming well do! As you may remember, West Norfolk has almost no cycle lanes (cycle tracks, often taking more direct routes away from roads, are more common) and yet, some motorists still abuse cyclists. The presence or absence of cycle lanes seems irrelevant. I feel it's the general absence of road rage punishments that's more the problem.

Of course,no cycle lanes is better than crap cycle lanes, but good wide lanes protected by posts or kerb islands would probably be better.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

Pete Owens wrote:To see how much worse cycle lanes make conditions for cyclists take a look at:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/report/cycle-lanes.pdf
and that is without the additional hazard of riding in the dooring zone as is the case of the German farcility linked by the OP.

Well Warrington Cycle Campaign still has the "fake" picture taken on the NCN in Swansea which claims to be a dead end, which is in fact a left turn, not apparent in the photograph. When strong bias turns to blatant misleading, then this source is totally discredited!

It is equally apparent that all the photographs in that piece of "good" passes by cars where there are no marked cycle lanes are taken when there is a distinct absence of oncoming traffic. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Confirmation bias is everywhere ! :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

meic wrote:It is equally apparent that all the photographs in that piece of "good" passes by cars where there are no marked cycle lanes are taken when there is a distinct absence of oncoming traffic. :wink:

Which is the time at which an overtake can and should be made...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:
It is equally apparent that all the photographs in that piece of "good" passes by cars where there are no marked cycle lanes are taken when there is a distinct absence of oncoming traffic. :wink:

Ah but if they didn't overtake very closely when there is oncoming traffic how on earth would they avoid having to slow down... :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker