Page 1 of 3

you don't pay road tax !

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 9:38am
by cranky1
There are a number of motorists that believe cyclists should not be allowed on the roads becauase they dont pay road tax, of course they mean car tax, but due to yesterdays budget there are now a number of motorists who wont be paying either. The new band A for vehicles with very low CO2 emmisions now have a £0 rating.

This should hopefully stop this ridicules argument as bikes now pay the equivelent in car tax as the drivers of band A cars.

Re: you don't pay road tax !

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 9:51am
by gaz
cranky1 wrote:This should hopefully stop this ridicules argument as bikes now pay the equivelent in car tax as the drivers of band A cars.


Hope springs eternal and therefore there is always hope.

There is even hope in hopelessness but, sadly, I think that's the only place you'll find it in respect of ending this particular argument.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 11:20am
by stoobs
So the answer to motorists now is, "I do pay tax - Band A!"

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 11:26am
by ThomasDylan

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 12:25pm
by nigel_s
Band A zero rated car tax has actually existed for some time, so I don't understand the revelation in yesterday's budget.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 12:56pm
by cranky1
I'll get my coat.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 2:26pm
by Tom Richardson
Band A cars were let off VED some time ago because theyre low polluting vehicles: 100g/km c02 or less.

Bikes are ultra low polluting by comparison so its about time cyclists got a refund.

Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 1:32pm
by professorlandslide

Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 2:44pm
by dodger
But most of are likely to have cars which we don't use whilst on the bike, so we have paid road tax - or is this in the older thread!!

Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 5:21pm
by nigel_s
...and according to my Council Tax bill, received today, it is stated that 6% of my Council Tax is budgeted for...

...HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE...

...that equates, for me, to £75.

So, if you're a householder, you can say that you DO pay "road tax". It's there, but under another name.

Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 7:18pm
by Cunobelin
nigel_s wrote:...and according to my Council Tax bill, received today, it is stated that 6% of my Council Tax is budgeted for...

...HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE...

...that equates, for me, to £75.

So, if you're a householder, you can say that you DO pay "road tax". It's there, but under another name.


Winston Churchill spoke against the original Bill in Parliament on the grounds that sooner or later drivers would claim "moral ownership" of the roads they were "paying for"........Shrewd man!

Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 10:55am
by Sares
Cunobelin wrote:Winston Churchill spoke against the original Bill in Parliament on the grounds that sooner or later drivers would claim "moral ownership" of the roads they were "paying for"........Shrewd man!

How right he was!

Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 11:37am
by GrumpyGit
Can I get a refund for every time I get on one of my bikes and leave my old Land Rover at home?

Thought not!!! :P

it's an old chestnut

Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 8:11pm
by Mrs Tortoise
but the vehicle excise licence (car tax) doesn't fund the roads, only the elegibility of that car to be driven on the public highway. Road building comes from the general exchequer.

Cyclists have the right to use the public highway unless it says not, eg motorways.

If motorists think we are getting something for nothing, maybe they should try doing the same and get a bike.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 1:27pm
by Willpower
BTW I assume the 'you don't pay road tax' brigade would also like the following to be removed from the road:

Fire Engines
Ambulances
Electrically propelled vehicles
Invalid carriages
Road construction vehicles
Vehicles used solely for spreading material to deal with frost, ice and snow (Snow ploughs)
Vehicles first registered prior to 1972.


As none of the above have to pay VED.