This Week's Gales !

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
noonoosdad

This Week's Gales !

Post by noonoosdad »

:( Has anyone ventured out on two wheels during this week's Gales ?
I have been really p****d off with not be able to cycle into work and have had to resort to using the car and making a bigger than normal carbon footprint.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

I was looking forward to trying Quackers out in the exposed New Forest with his new fairing but unfortunately a cold and chest infection has laid me low :(

Quackers will just have to wait to fly another day.....
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

Yesterday was the first day I'd been on the bike since last Wednesday. This winter has been dramatically windier than last year, and I'm sick of it.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No. Not been out.

Doubt it tomorrow. The forecast down here isn't optimistic until Monday.
Mick F. Cornwall
dbrunner

yep...

Post by dbrunner »

Yep, braved the wind. Great going eastwards, coming home was a b*tch though. So I have commuted mon-thur this week, never felt in any real danger from the wind, more worried about flying debris.

Still, it was worth doing... wind pah!

Dave
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Well, I managed to do 2 x 25 milers one on saturday the other on sunday last weekend. It was so windy I had to get into granny easy peasy gear while going down hill! Mind you, my legs felt great doing all this hard work.

Forecasters laid it on strong for Monday (force 11), well, where was it?

I had a sleep in as I was taking the car cos of the rotten force 11 gale, when I stirred me stumps and gazed outside, it was a force 6. So VERY irritated that I had to take the car due to no time for cycling.

I always drive to work on a Tuesday as I shop for the week in my lunch break. Weather was lovely and sunny, no wind!

Wednesday was beths birthday and I had to see her open her prezzies of course, so car AGAIN to work.

Finally today...

No wind, well, a force 4. Cold (5 degrees). It poured with rain all day long, but I didnt care a jot... I got to work on 2 wheels.

And tomorrow, Im cycling again.

Weather is pants once more for us on Saturday and Sunday....

Mary
byegad

Post by byegad »

I've been out three times, total around 75 miles. I fitted my Streamer Fairing to my Trice, it usually lives on the Azub, which kept me warm and dryish and allowed me to go 'upwind' quiet well. I didn't ride the Azub as I've been suffering from Verigo and would have fallen off without the wind.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mary I have learned not to believe the forecast, but wait and see what it is like on the day. When working always set the alarm for my ride in, then I can turn over for an extra 3/4's hour if the weather is horrendous.

also i try to do some planning if I can, ie if i have totake to the car because of bad weather then make the most of it, for example I might have considered doing week shop on Monday so that I could then use the bike on Tuesday instead if weather ok.

My ex obssessively listened tothe forecast and would try to plan our weekends around this, we missed oh so many opportunities to cycle at the weekend because of this.
herwin

Re: This Week's Gales !

Post by herwin »

noonoosdad wrote::( Has anyone ventured out on two wheels during this week's Gales ?
I have been really p****d off with not be able to cycle into work and have had to resort to using the car and making a bigger than normal carbon footprint.

Well, yes, but the head winds were so strong that most days I drove instead.
essexman

Post by essexman »

I came off my bike....although i hadnt even left the garden.

The wind had shut our front gate, which i normally leave open, i was on a different bike with clips (rather than clipless) and when i stopped to open it, i tried to get my feet out of the clips the wrong way... the wind just helped me over :-)

Apart from that it was ok, had to keep my speed steady in sidewinds, not too fast , not too slow etc . I got a nice assist up my hill though :-)
I hate snow.
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

Was meant to go out Wednesday, saw the forecast and opted to get all those odd jobs done around the house etc.

Thursday - went for a lovely 65 miler (round trip) down to Marsworth - met Del C at the Cafe by Startops lake, bought some nice panniers off him for my LEJOG in June and cycled home again.

Moderate headwind all the way there, but coming home was great fun. Until the heavens opened.

Funny, the people you meet whilst out. Stopped for a break, sat on an old plough at the edge of a field, when I looked up there was a chap in camoflage walking towards me with a shotgun! Had a nice chat, told me all about the gun. 30 years old, don't you know. Anyway apparently the pidgeons will demolish a freshly sown field unless measures are taken.

Despite subtle hints, I didn't have any pidgeons in my new panniers for tea. All the way home I was thinking "Pidgeon breast, marinaded in red wine, seared in a bit of nut brown butter....." Never mind.
peter236uk

wind

Post by peter236uk »

Only commuted the 24 mile round trip on Thurs and Friday this week could of done wed really as that was ok
themadorganist

Post by themadorganist »

Still imobilized but i do remember about 3 years ago riding from carlisle to penrith with a training mate. We were both at that time capable of 58 minutes for a 25 mile time trial, yet it on this occasion it took us 1hr 40min to do 18 miles - riding virtually 'flat out' as a 2-up. On reaching home I looked up the weather conditions that we had been riding in and the average headwind was 40mph with gusts of 65. If it hadnt been straight into the wind, and had had some crosswind to it im sure we would have been blown off at some point! happy days!
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Missed Monday but commuted Tues - Fri. Nearly got blown off my bike on Tuesday evening at Canary Wharf & the cycle back to Waterloo was hard work. Still saw quite a few cyclists about but I think London probably had better conditions than most.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ravenglass - Carlisle - Hexham - South Shields - Durham

A week of touring on NCN 72 and NCN 14. NO real problems, apart from slowing down a couple of downhills when the crosswinds caused a problem. Otherwise fine...