Red lights?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Picklepies

Red lights?

Post by Picklepies »

Hi all,

I'm really new to cycling, and wanted to ask a question about red light etiquette.

I was waiting at a red light at a junction (with no cars next to me) and was overtaken by 2 cyclists, who jumped the red light, and had to swerve from a car coming out if the side road.

They proceeded to wait for me a little further up the road to inform me it was my fault they were almost hit, and I shouldn't have been waiting at the light, as it meant they couldn't see any cars coming out the junction before they overtook?

I wanted to ask if they were just angry people, or if they were making a point? sorry if this seems a silly question, but I haven't ridden in about 15 years, and then it was just following my dad lol :)
thirdcrank

Re: Red lights?

Post by thirdcrank »

I see kwackers hasn't been on for three months so I hope he's OK. Perhaps an RLJ thread will tempt him back. :wink:
Barks

Post by Barks »

That are idiots who have a very real chance of dying before their time - take no notice of them. By the way, if you haven't cycled for a while why not sign up for a training course so you then be shown good habits from the start and get answers to lots of questions.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Barks wrote:That are idiots who have a very real chance of dying before their time - take no notice of them. By the way, if you haven't cycled for a while why not sign up for a training course so you then be shown good habits from the start and get answers to lots of questions.

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Barks wrote:That are idiots who have a very real chance of dying before their time - take no notice of them. By the way, if you haven't cycled for a while why not sign up for a training course so you then be shown good habits from the start and get answers to lots of questions.

+2
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I would have gone nuts at them if that happened to me, it sounds like the same sort of thing terrible drivers say. Completely their fault. If you had ran the red light too, maybe you would have been hit. They chose to run the red light and anything else that happens is entirely their fault. How they can blame a stationary vehicle they chose to overtake is beyond me.
pwa

Post by pwa »

A couple of wallies. I'd have told them to go away, but using different wording.
meic

Post by meic »

You could have volunteered to accompany them to the Police station so that they could report your dangerous actions. :lol:

Bet they somehow decide to let you off and it wasnt so important after all and decline your offer. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

They're idiots .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Picklepies wrote:Hi all,

I'm really new to cycling, and wanted to ask a question about red light etiquette.

I was waiting at a red light at a junction (with no cars next to me) and was overtaken by 2 cyclists, who jumped the red light, and had to swerve from a car coming out if the side road.

They proceeded to wait for me a little further up the road to inform me it was my fault they were almost hit, and I shouldn't have been waiting at the light, as it meant they couldn't see any cars coming out the junction before they overtook?

I wanted to ask if they were just angry people, or if they were making a point? sorry if this seems a silly question, but I haven't ridden in about 15 years, and then it was just following my dad lol :)

Don't take any notice of the idiots, they were breaking the law and you weren't.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Does anyone else find it strange that the two idiots in question would stop up the road to berate someone who wasn't breaking the law,when they could've stopped at the TL themselves.
After all their time stopped would've been similar I should think :?
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Very strange.. basically idiots, red light = you stop same as any other traffic. Anyone who runs a light and gets hit, got what was coming to them.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Unbelievable! You couldn't make it up! Just ignore idiots like that!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Unbelievable! You couldn't make it up!

or could you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Revolution wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Unbelievable! You couldn't make it up!

or could you?

Possibly! :wink:
W H Auden