White van in a deliberate swerve on A272

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dataist

White van in a deliberate swerve on A272

Post by dataist »

Another angry white van driver incident on the A272 in West Sussex, luckily this time on video.

Of course article commenters claiming the cyclist set him up. :roll:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15403577 ... ng_cyclist
pwa

Re: White van in a deliberate swerve on A272

Post by pwa »

Inexcusable use of a vehicle as a weapon, so appropriate that the driver lost his job and faces prosecution.

On a separate and lesser matter, the cyclist is way too far out into the road at the beginning of the clip, at least a full metre further out than I would consider appropriate. It looks like deliberate blocking and maybe explains what made the driver so angry. But that does not excuse the violent response.
Bez

Post by Bez »

This one was done to death on the web back in April; I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here from back then with the usual "he wasn't in the gutter so even though he didn't deserve it he sort of did deserve it" opinions already expressed.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pwa wrote:On a separate and lesser matter, the cyclist is way too far out into the road at the beginning of the clip, at least a full metre further out than I would consider appropriate. It looks like deliberate blocking and maybe explains what made the driver so angry. But that does not excuse the violent response.

I imagine the cyclist sensed the mood of the van driver. If you had been a metre more to the left that guy would have been coming past you giving you a foot at most. I don't think he would wait until safe to pass. There was oncoming until he does move over to allow a pass.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bez wrote:This one was done to death on the web back in April; I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here from back then with the usual "he wasn't in the gutter so even though he didn't deserve it he sort of did deserve it" opinions already expressed.

I never ride in the gutter. But that cyclist was a lot further out than most experienced cyclists would be. It does look like he was making a point, or falling asleep.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote:
pwa wrote:On a separate and lesser matter, the cyclist is way too far out into the road at the beginning of the clip, at least a full metre further out than I would consider appropriate. It looks like deliberate blocking and maybe explains what made the driver so angry. But that does not excuse the violent response.

I imagine the cyclist sensed the mood of the van driver. If you had been a metre more to the left that guy would have been coming past you giving you a foot at most. I don't think he would wait until safe to pass. There was oncoming until he does move over to allow a pass.

I'll look at it again, bearing in mind your interpretation.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pwa wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

I'll look at it again, bearing in mind your interpretation.

Okay, to refine my initial assessment, I would have been about 75cm further to the left and less obviously doing a block. But I'd love to see what happened in the minute or so before the clip started. I get the feeling we are seeing the end of something that started before the clip. Nothing excuses swerving to hit another road user, though.
Bez

Post by Bez »

pwa wrote:I never ride in the gutter. But that cyclist was a lot further out than most experienced cyclists would be. It does look like he was making a point, or falling asleep.

Maybe the point he was making was that in the circumstances it was an unsafe place to overtake and therefore his position would only be an issue to someone whose judgements about overtaking would otherwise be poor enough to cause him some undue risk.

When you say "experienced" it could be argued that it's a euphemism for "desensitised". Most of us move across because we're desensitised to close passes and we'd rather put up with those than bother with verbal or physical abuse for making someone wait a few seconds for somewhere safer.

https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/860599345162407396

Sadly, while positioning can be used to deter people who make poor judgements, frankly there's little you can do about someone whose judgements about overtaking involve deciding to assault you.

Anyway, like I said, it's been done to death and the "I'm not saying it justifies it but…" gambit is well worn.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The case is at court next Wednesday. It will be interesting to hear the result.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

pwa wrote:But I'd love to see what happened in the minute or so before the clip started. I get the feeling we are seeing the end of something that started before the clip.

Exactly how I see it, something has happened before this. He'd not cycle out as far as that other than to make a point. Perhaps the driver had earlier attempted an overtake and the cyclist closed it off indicating the double white lines. Now cycling wide to force the point and stop an overtake again, just a thought.

Who knows until next week.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I agree that there is likely more to this than the brief interaction shown on the video. But another possible factor in this.. the position taken by the cyclist is the same position often used by motorcyclists. Maybe he is a motorcyclist? Also he may have changed position within the lane, not to make a point, but merely ensure he was seen as the van approached. I've done that, even if I don't usually stay outside the centre of the lane.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bez

Post by Bez »

Last time I punched my wife in the face the police didn't seem too bothered about the fact that she'd annoyed me by turning the boxing off the telly, even though any experienced wife would have known not to do that.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bez wrote:Last time I punched my wife in the face the police didn't seem too bothered about the fact that she'd annoyed me by turning the boxing off the telly, even though any experienced wife would have known not to do that.

You know, it is possible, especially in a heated situation, for both protagonists to be doing something wrong at the same time. Pointing that out does not mean you are saying both errors are equal or that one justifies the other. Not unless someone explicitly says so.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Amazing how quickly people try to justify the van driver's behaviour.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, seen this one before but I can't help but admire the guy's bike handling skills.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)