A Quest

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: A Quest

Post by tatanab »

reohn2 wrote:I can think of a number of times when a trike of any kind would be a PITA and only a very few when a trike or velomobile would be a plus,ice and possibly windy weather being the only two I can think of.
I cannot say for recumbent machines, but for an upright trike the thing you are missing is the tremendous fun, once you've learned to cope with the machine. This is why I put up with the penalties of increased weight, massively increased wind resistance, and having to work harder to keep it rubber side down than a bicyclist works. All this makes it 10-15% slower than an equivalent bicycle (which I sometimes ride), but the bicycle cannot get near the enjoyment I get from riding my upright trikes.
reohn2

Re: A Quest

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I can think of a number of times when a trike of any kind would be a PITA and only a very few when a trike or velomobile would be a plus,ice and possibly windy weather being the only two I can think of.
I cannot say for recumbent machines, but for an upright trike the thing you are missing is the tremendous fun, once you've learned to cope with the machine. This is why I put up with the penalties of increased weight, massively increased wind resistance, and having to work harder to keep it rubber side down than a bicyclist works. All this makes it 10-15% slower than an equivalent bicycle (which I sometimes ride), but the bicycle cannot get near the enjoyment I get from riding my upright trikes.

It's as I've posted up thread if it works for you great!
Personally the minuses far outweigh the any plusses there are for me,cycling has many facets trikes are but one and I'm happy for those who enjoy them.
Perhaps with the right joined up infrastructure,such as in the Netherlands,I can see that I could enjoy a recumbent tadpole trike,in the UK not a hope.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden