Cycle parking...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Cycle parking...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 17 Jul 2017, 2:07pm

I'm in the design phase of a new building at the moment, and looking at cycle parking provision.

At the moment the plans call for Sheffield stands (good) but I think the spacing is a bit tight (we have people with trailers and me with all sorts of funny wheeled things)

My personal preference at the moment would be to add some weather protection to at least some of those stands (let's be honest, the number of bikes falls when the rain does, so partial cover is going to be adequate).

I also think that the spacing needs to be more generous, but I can't recall where I've seen cycle parking recommendations documents in the past.
- Can someone point me at some relevant documentation (have another meeting with architects tonight)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Vorpal

Re: Cycle parking...

Postby Vorpal » 17 Jul 2017, 2:34pm

What kind of building? Guidelines for residential are different than commercial.

What's in the Manual for Streets is pretty good it has recommended spacing for Sheffield stands, though TBH, the recommended spacing is insufficient for trikes, cargo bikes, and trailers. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... treets.pdf

the Sustrans Design Manaul also has guidance http://www.sustrans.org.uk/sites/defaul ... -10-14.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 17 Jul 2017, 4:30pm

Church, so neither (but commercial is more similar in terms of usage)

Note that we have me (on trike/bent) and families with trailers...

So slightly different usage (current architects plans have bikes sharing handlebars :roll: )
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 17 Jul 2017, 5:03pm

IME most Sheffield (and other) stands are placed too close together - little allowance is made for even a slim cyclist trying to wheel their bike into the space, or for panniers, or shopping bikes with wide handlebars and a fixed front basket. Also, I often see them placed too close to a wall so that it doesn't support the bike properly and it is difficult to lock the wheel to the bike.

Stands with an extra crossbar are more secure, as they offer more locking points, and the thief can't wrestle a bike flat to the ground and then use a big hammer to break the lock. (Assuming said thief can squeeze in between the bikes!)

Have you seen this guidance leaflet from the Cambridge Cycle Campaign? (PDF download) It seems to have a lot of useful details.
Last edited by LollyKat on 17 Jul 2017, 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

horizon

Postby horizon » 17 Jul 2017, 5:10pm

For me the most important aspect of a bike stand is its location - preferably at the entrance and under close watch. Otherwise I just bring my bike in ....

Could bike storage not be within the building off the foyer - I know, we are pushing the limits of architects' imagination here . . . :shock: :mrgreen:
Let's just stay!

mjr

Postby mjr » 17 Jul 2017, 5:14pm

Check your local council's parking standards. Norfolk's includes guidance for the minimum required for all sorts of buildings, including that it must be closer to the entrance than the car park, although you can do better (as the council itself does) such as Sheffield Extra stands with the crossbars and longer racks or wider spacing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 17 Jul 2017, 5:22pm

horizon wrote:For me the most important aspect of a bike stand is its location - preferably at the entrance and under close watch. Otherwise I just bring my bike in ....

Could bike storage not be within the building off the foyer - I know, we are pushing the limits of architects' imagination here . . . :shock: :mrgreen:

I'd have got it inside if I could have done ;)

It's not going to be at the entrance, because that would be on a graveyard. It's either in the corner of the car park closest to the building (but not under any windows) or on the other side (which actually allows more space for cycles and cars, but is better overlooked from the building (we're not talking a long walk to the building).

I'll also be putting in CCTV given even a sniff of a chance ;)

Although there is plenty of glass to the front there aren't that many rooms which look over the car park, and by nature the stairs/foyer of a church are not 'evenly' used, so there will be times when no-one is looking. But that's inevitable given the building.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 19 Jul 2017, 8:43pm

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 20 Jul 2017, 8:07am

I could measure the spacing of the Sheffield stands where I work - and then add a bit more to that as they seem a bit too close together. I have seen people struggling at times just to get ordinary unencumbered bikes in and out. I don't bother with them myself as my bike has a kick stand and nurse lock and the whole site is secure. I haven't seen any kind of provision anywhere for more unusual machines like bents and cargo bikes, probably a decent sized covered area with some heavy duty lengths of chain anchored to the ground would do the job.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Jul 2017, 4:26pm

When I park my cycle I try to find a Sheffield stand where manoeuvring/turning vehicles cannot go. Plenty of stands are right by the road or by parking places. Parking, like riding, we should be separated from motons, I think
Last edited by brynpoeth on 24 Jan 2019, 12:59am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Jul 2017, 4:28pm

brynpoeth wrote:When I park my cycle I try to find a Sheffield stand where manoeuvring/turning vehicles cannot go. Plenty of stands are right by the road or by parking places. Parking, like riding, we should be separated from motors, IMHO :)

Are you worrying about the common incompetent motorists or the rarer thief parking a van beside it to obscure their nefarious attacks?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Jul 2017, 4:28pm

We'll be in amongst motor vehicles, but away from any desire lines.

I'll think about kerbs as well...

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Jul 2017, 4:32pm

mjr wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:When I park my cycle I try to find a Sheffield stand where manoeuvring/turning vehicles cannot go. Plenty of stands are right by the road or by parking places. Parking, like riding, we should be separated from motors, IMHO :)

Are you worrying about the common incompetent motorists or the rarer thief parking a van beside it to obscure their nefarious attacks?

Both, I try not to leave my machine in isolation. Left it in a dark corner last winter, the front wheel was stolen. Now I lock front AND back wheels. Kerbs are good if high enough so that one can not drive over them

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Jul 2017, 4:40pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Church, so neither (but commercial is more similar in terms of usage)

Note that we have me (on trike/bent) and families with trailers...

So slightly different usage (current architects plans have bikes sharing handlebars :roll: )

One reads a lot about redundant churches, why is a new one planned? I understand your logo shows a glass of communion wine :wink:

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Jul 2017, 11:32pm

To accommodate and facilitate growth, to serve the community we are in and because 45+ years into the 25 year design life of the current building (parts of it anyway) it needs replacing...

I don't read about many redundant churches actually...