Cycle parking...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Cycle parking...

Post by Psamathe »

One thing to watch for with Sheffield Stands - pretty obvious but not to Waitrose - get the bent tube type not made from scaffold tubes with 90 deg corner fitting you can dismantle with an Allen key! Waitrose don't seem to worry that somebody with a standard hex Allen key could dismantle their bike stands in seconds and nick all the bikes locked to them. Even when pointed out to them (with the point about how well hidden away they are) they still have not even bothered to do anything.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:These ones are a little low so you can't park many bikes under the high points, but you get the idea:

I've never seen those installed in such a way that a standard bike will fit under the high points. I use that sort of thing fairly often, and I like them better than most other sorts, including sheffield stands. They suit most types of equipment, and they are relatively easy to lock to.

It depends what you mean by standard. Maybe the high points on the lower sort are dedicated child bike parking? :lol:

I'm not sure whether I prefer waves or the long Sheffield Extras we have in part of the transport interchange, which are long enough for trailers and tandems:

But I can see that waves are more subtle and although it may need a long lock for one wheel, it's better than a frame of wheelbenders IMO.

psamathe wrote:One thing to watch for with Sheffield Stands - pretty obvious but not to Waitrose - get the bent tube type not made from scaffold tubes with 90 deg corner fitting you can dismantle with an Allen key! Waitrose don't seem to worry that somebody with a standard hex Allen key could dismantle their bike stands in seconds and nick all the bikes locked to them. Even when pointed out to them (with the point about how well hidden away they are) they still have not even bothered to do anything.

*groan* Is that Eaton or Wymondham? Swaffham has the proper sort but it's in a dud position (predates the current standards) and often overrun with trollies. None of them was built as Waitrose, though, so it's probably whatever they inherited from Safeway, Somerfield or Roys. Weston-super-Mare was rebuilt as Waitrose (it's half of an old B&Q, I think) and was half-decent - sheltered Sheffields - despite North Somerset's parking standard being very weak.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:.....
*groan* Is that Eaton or Wymondham? Swaffham has the proper sort but it's in a dud position (predates the current standards) and often overrun with trollies. None of them was built as Waitrose, though, so it's probably whatever they inherited from Safeway, Somerfield or Roys. Weston-super-Mare was rebuilt as Waitrose (it's half of an old B&Q, I think) and was half-decent - sheltered Sheffields - despite North Somerset's parking standard being very weak.

Wymondham. I've even had big face to face arguments about their cycle facilities in the store with the Manager - been round in circles countering all his "justifications" and nothing gets done. They also don't have enough, regularly full through they do have a few extra wheel benders bolted to a wall elsewhere (that, surprise surprise are never used) and used to be cyclists would annoy shoppers by having to lock their bikes to the shopping trolley enclosures.

From memory Eaton is not too bad - descent stands, not many of them but I never found them full.

(But must not hijack the thread - something I'm guilty of far too often)

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:One thing to watch for with Sheffield Stands - pretty obvious but not to Waitrose - get the bent tube type not made from scaffold tubes with 90 deg corner fitting you can dismantle with an Allen key! Waitrose don't seem to worry that somebody with a standard hex Allen key could dismantle their bike stands in seconds and nick all the bikes locked to them. Even when pointed out to them (with the point about how well hidden away they are) they still have not even bothered to do anything.

Ian

Those aren't Sheffield stands - they're a bodge. I'd go and take all the tops off and take them in to store a few times...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Psamathe wrote:One thing to watch for with Sheffield Stands - pretty obvious but not to Waitrose - get the bent tube type not made from scaffold tubes with 90 deg corner fitting you can dismantle with an Allen key! Waitrose don't seem to worry that somebody with a standard hex Allen key could dismantle their bike stands in seconds and nick all the bikes locked to them. Even when pointed out to them (with the point about how well hidden away they are) they still have not even bothered to do anything.

Ian

Those aren't Sheffield stands - they're a bodge. I'd go and take all the tops off and take them in to store a few times...

(Sorry, I'm hijacking your thread and diverting it away from your question). It's actually difficult to do because they are so often full, removing the tops would effectively be unlocking those bikes that are locked-up there (and leaving them rather obviously unlocked)!

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Wymondham. I've even had big face to face arguments about their cycle facilities in the store with the Manager - been round in circles countering all his "justifications" and nothing gets done. [...]
(But must not hijack the thread - something I'm guilty of far too often)

Then I'll not continue this beyond suggesting you stop arguing with a refusenik idiot who'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience and either go to his head office or simply report a breach of the conditions of planning permission 1998/1395 at https://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/report-breach-planning (actually, I can't see the planning conditions but I can't believe that insecure cycle parking was permitted even in 1998).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Those aren't Sheffield stands - they're a bodge. I'd go and take all the tops off and take them in to store a few times...

:lol: :lol: FIFY?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How is the church building progressing? Is it anywhere near Cornwall where Mick F is collecting churches? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies