Open Cycling - Coast to Coast in 1 day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dgibby

Open Cycling - Coast to Coast in 1 day

Post by dgibby »

Hi
I've signed up to do this challenge next year - Coast to Coast (150miles) in 1 day.
https://www.facebook.com/opencycling/videos/1556699744375417/

Has anyone on this forum done this and can share advice/tips on the logistics of it all? Hotel/B&B at either end recommendations and prob more importantly but a way to get back from Whitby (end) to Seascale (start) after the event - transfers etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Training starts tomorrow.......
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Open Cycling - Coast to Coast in 1 day

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
No.
Looks terrific :) And the wales one.

More like a sportive?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Hayle Lido to Marizon ... Coast to coast in 40 mins .. :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, there are many coast-to-coast rides you can do. Some shorter than others! :lol:

Wales one sounds a good one.
I sort of planned to do a longer one this year - St David's Head to Lowestoft - but never really got the idea off the ground.

I met a couple riding Devon C2C, and they were taking four days over it. For goodness sake, it's only 70odd miles, so I'd do it in the day easily, more like about five hours.

That's not the point though. It's the ride that's important, so if you take your time, you can see the countryside and smell the roses.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

dgibby wrote:Hi
I've signed up to do this challenge next year - Coast to Coast (150miles) in 1 day.
https://www.facebook.com/opencycling/videos/1556699744375417/

Has anyone on this forum done this and can share advice/tips on the logistics of it all? Hotel/B&B at either end recommendations and prob more importantly but a way to get back from Whitby (end) to Seascale (start) after the event - transfers etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Training starts tomorrow.......

A quick look at the website and there are transfers. Somewhat strangely you appear to gather in Penrith and are transferred to Seascale for the start. There is then another transfer service after the event to take to back to Penrith. You need to get a cardboard bike box from a bike shop.

http://www.opencycling.com/coast-to-coa ... amping.php

You can camp at Seascale and wouldn't need to bother with the Penrith/Seascale transfer in the morning but would then have to make your own way on that route after the event, a nice 50 miler! See three from the bottom FAQs.

http://www.opencycling.com/coast-to-coa ... stions.php

One option is if you are doing this with a few others to hire either a man with a van or just a van and have some kind person agree to do the driving.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

It's a good ride and a friendly and well organised event across beautiful countryside.

Getting to the start and back from the finish is a problem. Last year we camped just outside Seascale and my partner was happy to bring us over and then meet us again in Whitby to drive us back home to York. Met someone who cycled both ways to solve the transport problem, but that's a pretty extreme solution.

Some of the climbs are very severe so suitable gearing essential. Hardknott is as hard as it gets - two sections at 30%, little recovery in between and poor road surface - but there is certainly no shame in walking up it. Some of the descents are also challenging and not the time to discover that your brakes are poorly adjusted or tyres worn.

Seem to recall there were one or two 'stings in the tail' as you get near to Whitby. In terms of training advice, be comfortable being on your bike for a long day and get the miles and hills in.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Thanks for all of the positive and helpful replies everyone.
Have signed up to do the Coast to Coast in 1 day - and managed to find another 5 cycling mates to sign up too.
So have hatched a plan to drive to Whitby the day before, have arranged a one way transport for 6 rides and 6 bikes from Whitby to Seascale on the Friday and accomodation on the Friday night (in Seascale). All sorted.
Just need to get training now - especially for the big hills (Hardknott Pass!)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
dgibby wrote:Thanks for all of the positive and helpful replies everyone.
Have signed up to do the Coast to Coast in 1 day - and managed to find another 5 cycling mates to sign up too.
So have hatched a plan to drive to Whitby the day before, have arranged a one way transport for 6 rides and 6 bikes from Whitby to Seascale on the Friday and accomodation on the Friday night (in Seascale). All sorted.
Just need to get training now - especially for the big hills (Hardknott Pass!)

And how do you plan to ride on the day?
Without trying to sound too insulting, like groups in sportives or fast audax where you cycle together at times but not that chummy :)
Not looked too close at the details on the site so I don't know how its being promoted?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

And how do you plan to ride on the day?
Without trying to sound too insulting, like groups in sportives or fast audax where you cycle together at times but not that chummy :)
Not looked too close at the details on the site so I don't know how its being promoted?

Hi
I've ridden a few 100miler sportives with these friends and will follow same format. Just enjoy the day and get through it together - not a race and if some feel like they can't keep up and others feel like the pace is too slow then we normally catch up at various feed stops etc. There's no real pattern but it tends to work out on the whole.