Smugness is ...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ben Lovejoy

Smugness is ...

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

... having a bicycle when the train breaks down at a station six miles from home.

Everyone else was moaning, as they then had to wait for the train to be removed before the next one could get into the station. I just got on my bike and cycled the rest of the way home. :-)

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
Graham

Post by Graham »

Oh, yes . . . . . working in London some years ago . . . train chaos at Waterloo station . . . seething with trapped commuters trying to get home by any other means . . . .
I just jumped back on the Brompton and cycled 30 miles home :D
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Wish I'd had mine with me back in 1997 when the 50 mile commute back from London took 4 hours one day. Of course, you never know beforehand, but I'd have quite happily skipped the train at 25 miles, beacuse the first 25 took 1 hour (which I can't do), and I definitely can cycle at more than 8-and-a-bit mph and it was a fab summer's evening. Oh well.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Graham wrote:Oh, yes . . . . . working in London some years ago . . . train chaos at Waterloo station . . . seething with trapped commuters trying to get home by any other means . . . .

I'm impressed.

I used to cycle 26 miles home every night during a summer I worked in Coventry (I live in North Birmingham) but that was on a road bike. And I cheated on my morning commute by using the train.

I've never done more than 9 miles in one go on my brommy. I'm a "get to the train station/bus stop" kinda brommy user.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Smugness is cycling past a quarter of a mile of cars in the morning.
Graham

Post by Graham »

2Tubs wrote:
Graham wrote:Oh, yes . . . . . working in London some years ago . . . train chaos at Waterloo station . . . seething with trapped commuters trying to get home by any other means . . . .

I'm impressed.

I used to cycle 26 miles home every night during a summer I worked in Coventry (I live in North Birmingham) but that was on a road bike. And I cheated on my morning commute by using the train.

I've never done more than 9 miles in one go on my brommy. I'm a "get to the train station/bus stop" kinda brommy user.

Gazza

Wow, I have impressed someone :shock:
It was an exceptional situation. I would not normally choose to do that distance on a Brompton.
I have to admit that my knees hurt a bit the day after the ride. . . . and don't forget I am the owner of a racing Brompton ( which actually means it has flat handle bars &, SPDs ).

Like you, on occassional summer evenings, I would take a normal bike up on the train and cycle from London back to Woking.
Crock of Gold

Post by Crock of Gold »

During October my tyre burst at Tooting Bec (large shard of glass) about 5.45 pm.

I dropped the bike off at a bike shop just before Colliers Wood, a mile and half way.

Then jogged the rest of the journey home to Surbiton, Those six miles took me an hour.

In the heavy rain.

But was still probably quicker then a car and certainly quicker then a train or bus, door to door.