Why no enclosed bicycles?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Username
Posts: 289
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 12:46am

Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby Username » 30 Jul 2017, 1:00am

Something like this.

Given the weather here, and all this eco transport nonsense, why are there no such objects on the roads? I would imagine there is some demand for electrically assisted ones.

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby reohn2 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:25am

Because for most people such vehicles have all the disadvantages of a car with non of the advantages of a bicycle,like quads and trikes compared to motorcycles.
The weather protection isn't a plus when you consider wind,of which there's more of than rain,and there's the weight to consider before we even get to cost.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jul 2017, 8:42am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Elizabethsdad
Posts: 1158
Joined: 15 Jan 2011, 7:09pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby Elizabethsdad » 30 Jul 2017, 7:51am

They are called velomobiles and there are plenty of models available. As the previous post said they are larger and heavier than a conventional bike so not as manouverable and harder to get up hills. On, the flat and downhill they can go faster and as you say you do get weather protection. In warm weather though they can get very hot inside. They are also considerably more expensive. If you want to know more and maybe see tehm in action checkout the British Human Power Club - just google BHPC

nez
Posts: 1622
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby nez » 30 Jul 2017, 8:55am

it doesnt rain much when you're cycling. keep a log and you'll prove it.


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby reohn2 » 30 Jul 2017, 10:05am

nez dans le guidon wrote:it doesnt rain much when you're cycling. keep a log and you'll prove it

Agreed,it's surprising how little you do get caught in the rain,windy days OTOH are much more prevalent and anything with a bòdy covering such as velomobiles in a headwind are a winner(though I suspect not the one in the OP),a side wind would be a loser and as a result would eat battery power.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

nez
Posts: 1622
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby nez » 30 Jul 2017, 10:09am

I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!

Phil Fouracre
Posts: 804
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 12:16pm
Location: Deepest Somerset

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby Phil Fouracre » 30 Jul 2017, 10:15am

Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby reohn2 » 30 Jul 2017, 10:19am

nez dans le guidon wrote:I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!

Our hardest day on the bike was coming back from Lelystad to Zeewolde in a howling headwind/sidewind,two tandems taking turns on the front or echelon,I remember seaing a bungalow about five miles up ahead and longing to go past it for some shelter :shock:
All four of us were knackered when we go back to the cabin we were staying in.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby reohn2 » 30 Jul 2017, 10:22am

Phil Fouracre wrote:Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)

The thing about NL ìs that it's so flat that even without a wind you don't even get to freewheel :( and as you say it always seems to be a headwind :x
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jul 2017, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia
Posts: 11487
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby mercalia » 30 Jul 2017, 10:51am

wouldnt be able to get it up the stairs to my flat. One of the advantages of bikes can be easy to move around when not being used?

Dawesboi
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 9:37pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby Dawesboi » 30 Jul 2017, 10:58am

Phil Fouracre wrote:Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)

Come to Skye... we have hills and headwinds!

Phil Fouracre
Posts: 804
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 12:16pm
Location: Deepest Somerset

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby Phil Fouracre » 30 Jul 2017, 1:08pm

Too much! You're just spoilt :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

flat tyre
Posts: 466
Joined: 18 Jul 2008, 1:01pm

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby flat tyre » 2 Aug 2017, 8:06pm

I ordered some haribos from Wiggle once, shocked to find no bicycle enclosed.

CliveyT
Posts: 272
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 2:55pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby CliveyT » 3 Aug 2017, 12:21pm

reohn2 wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!

Our hardest day on the bike was coming back from Lelystad to Zeewolde in a howling headwind/sidewind,two tandems taking turns on the front or echelon,I remember seaing a bungalow about five miles up ahead and longing to go past it for some shelter :shock:
All four of us were knackered when we go back to the cabin we were staying in.

One memorable(?) day on the fens I can remember thinking the same about a Leylandii hedge. It also gave me something to look at that wasn't cabbage shaped. It was raining that day as well :evil:

boliston
Posts: 60
Joined: 5 Jul 2013, 6:35pm
Location: Taunton
Contact:

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Postby boliston » 4 Aug 2017, 10:42pm

mercalia wrote:wouldnt be able to get it up the stairs to my flat. One of the advantages of bikes can be easy to move around when not being used?


I would be worried about leaving something like that parked outside as it would soon get vandalised - in fact the only bike i would ever now consider would be a folder for easy storage at both work and at home