Why no enclosed bicycles?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Username

Why no enclosed bicycles?

Post by Username »

Something like this.

Given the weather here, and all this eco transport nonsense, why are there no such objects on the roads? I would imagine there is some demand for electrically assisted ones.
reohn2

Re: Why no enclosed bicycles?

Post by reohn2 »

Because for most people such vehicles have all the disadvantages of a car with non of the advantages of a bicycle,like quads and trikes compared to motorcycles.
The weather protection isn't a plus when you consider wind,of which there's more of than rain,and there's the weight to consider before we even get to cost.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jul 2017, 8:42am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

They are called velomobiles and there are plenty of models available. As the previous post said they are larger and heavier than a conventional bike so not as manouverable and harder to get up hills. On, the flat and downhill they can go faster and as you say you do get weather protection. In warm weather though they can get very hot inside. They are also considerably more expensive. If you want to know more and maybe see tehm in action checkout the British Human Power Club - just google BHPC
nez

Post by nez »

it doesnt rain much when you're cycling. keep a log and you'll prove it.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:it doesnt rain much when you're cycling. keep a log and you'll prove it

Agreed,it's surprising how little you do get caught in the rain,windy days OTOH are much more prevalent and anything with a bòdy covering such as velomobiles in a headwind are a winner(though I suspect not the one in the OP),a side wind would be a loser and as a result would eat battery power.
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!

Our hardest day on the bike was coming back from Lelystad to Zeewolde in a howling headwind/sidewind,two tandems taking turns on the front or echelon,I remember seaing a bungalow about five miles up ahead and longing to go past it for some shelter :shock:
All four of us were knackered when we go back to the cabin we were staying in.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)

The thing about NL ìs that it's so flat that even without a wind you don't even get to freewheel :( and as you say it always seems to be a headwind :x
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jul 2017, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

wouldnt be able to get it up the stairs to my flat. One of the advantages of bikes can be easy to move around when not being used?
Dawesboi

Post by Dawesboi »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Similar for us, never realised that cycling in a flat country was so difficult, couldn't believe that the wind would be so exhausting. Always seemed to be a headwind! Actually longed for some hills :-)

Come to Skye... we have hills and headwinds!
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Too much! You're just spoilt :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I ordered some haribos from Wiggle once, shocked to find no bicycle enclosed.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

reohn2 wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:I don't mind rain but I can't take wind on a bike. On a memorable tour of northern Netherlands with a friend on one day we had to take turns in front to make progress. I've never been so exhausted!

Our hardest day on the bike was coming back from Lelystad to Zeewolde in a howling headwind/sidewind,two tandems taking turns on the front or echelon,I remember seaing a bungalow about five miles up ahead and longing to go past it for some shelter :shock:
All four of us were knackered when we go back to the cabin we were staying in.

One memorable(?) day on the fens I can remember thinking the same about a Leylandii hedge. It also gave me something to look at that wasn't cabbage shaped. It was raining that day as well :evil:
boliston

Post by boliston »

mercalia wrote:wouldnt be able to get it up the stairs to my flat. One of the advantages of bikes can be easy to move around when not being used?

I would be worried about leaving something like that parked outside as it would soon get vandalised - in fact the only bike i would ever now consider would be a folder for easy storage at both work and at home