Never Appreciated I Was Such a "Slow" Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Samuel D

Re: Never Appreciated I Was Such a "Slow" Cyclist

Post by Samuel D »

Riding in a group is very, very different from riding on your own, as long as you’re comfortable riding close to (drafting) the person in front of you. I have averaged silly speeds (over 40 km/h) in big groups through no strength of my own. You just need to keep your nose out of the wind at all times and hope they don’t push hard on the climbs!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Samuel D wrote:Riding in a group is very, very different from riding on your own, as long as you’re comfortable riding close to (drafting) the person in front of you. I have averaged silly speeds (over 40 km/h) in big groups through no strength of my own. You just need to keep your nose out of the wind at all times and hope they don’t push hard on the climbs!

The figures are for me riding alone.They go up 1-2mph on CC rides!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd not describe myself as a particularly extraordinary cyclist, but I'm also most assuredly not average.

I do a 14 mile commute - on the trike I do about 17-18mph average, on the bike I can hit 22...

But then I am doing it every day, and putting the hammer down somewhat (shower in the office)

If I was 'normally' cycling, in normal clothes, then I'd be lucky to get 15mph on a run as short as three miles for fear of arriving as a puddle on wheels...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
karlt

Post by karlt »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd not describe myself as a particularly extraordinary cyclist, but I'm also most assuredly not average.

I do a 14 mile commute - on the trike I do about 17-18mph average, on the bike I can hit 22...

But then I am doing it every day, and putting the hammer down somewhat (shower in the office)

If I was 'normally' cycling, in normal clothes, then I'd be lucky to get 15mph on a run as short as three miles for fear of arriving as a puddle on wheels...

Interestingly, my commute is 14 miles (each way - I do wish people would clarify when they say "I have an x mile commute!") but I'd stopped doing it because I wasn't enjoying it any more. I started again but made it a strict rule not to put the hammer down because it's that that made me hate it. It means the average is now 15-16 instead of 16-17. but how the hell do you get 22? Is it pancake flat? I can just about average 20+ on dead flat roads with smooth tarmac, but otherwise forget it. Any hill has me straight under 20.
PH

Post by PH »

karlt wrote:Interestingly, my commute is 14 miles (each way - I do wish people would clarify when they say "I have an x mile commute!") but I'd stopped doing it because I wasn't enjoying it any more. I started again but made it a strict rule not to put the hammer down because it's that that made me hate it. It means the average is now 15-16 instead of 16-17. but how the hell do you get 22? Is it pancake flat? I can just about average 20+ on dead flat roads with smooth tarmac, but otherwise forget it. Any hill has me straight under 20.

I used to have a 13 mile (each way!) commute, mostly flat with the exception of one hill to climb in both directions. I had a choice of riding the road bike in cycling gear and showering at work, or the hybrid in workwear and taking it a bit easier so as not to need the shower. I can't remember the speeds but the hybrid got me to my desk quicker, though on sunny days the road bike was more fun.
I stopped doing it after four years when the job ended, by that time I too wasn't enjoying it any more, it had a detrimental effect on my leisure cycling, 130 miles a week was enough without going out at the weekend.
karlt

Post by karlt »

PH wrote:
karlt wrote:Interestingly, my commute is 14 miles (each way - I do wish people would clarify when they say "I have an x mile commute!") but I'd stopped doing it because I wasn't enjoying it any more. I started again but made it a strict rule not to put the hammer down because it's that that made me hate it. It means the average is now 15-16 instead of 16-17. but how the hell do you get 22? Is it pancake flat? I can just about average 20+ on dead flat roads with smooth tarmac, but otherwise forget it. Any hill has me straight under 20.

I used to have a 13 mile (each way!) commute, mostly flat with the exception of one hill to climb in both directions. I had a choice of riding the road bike in cycling gear and showering at work, or the hybrid in workwear and taking it a bit easier so as not to need the shower. I can't remember the speeds but the hybrid got me to my desk quicker, though on sunny days the road bike was more fun.
I stopped doing it after four years when the job ended, by that time I too wasn't enjoying it any more, it had a detrimental effect on my leisure cycling, 130 miles a week was enough without going out at the weekend.

It's not just me then ;) I too find I lack the motivation to go out in the evenings or weekends having been on the bike for up to 100 miles already in a given week - doing the same route every time - and I think that's the issue. I can vary the route, but it always takes quite a bit longer and it's not fair on family to be delaying dinner for my own fun.
PH

Post by PH »

karlt wrote:It's not just me then ;) I too find I lack the motivation to go out in the evenings or weekends having been on the bike for up to 100 miles already in a given week - doing the same route every time - and I think that's the issue. I can vary the route, but it always takes quite a bit longer and it's not fair on family to be delaying dinner for my own fun.

If I found myself in the same position again (Which is possible) I'll get something with electric assist, maybe not to use every day but as an option for those times when I just want an easier journey.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I too find I lack the motivation to go out in the evenings or weekends having been on the bike for up to 100 miles already in a given week - doing the same route every time - and I think that's the issue.

I do a 10 mile (each way) commute and I find it makes me want to do more in evenings and weekends, not less. My route is mainly countryside and I enjoy the wildlife and the time in the outdoors.

The commute is just how I get to work in an enjoyable and stress free way. I don't really think of it as cycling at all. It does, of course, help keep me fit for fun cycling (evenings and weekends). I'd happily do a lot more of that if I had the time.

I used to keep a log of times and such but now I just do it as the mood takes, occasionally flat out as fast as possible but more often just a steady pace, which is about 14mph for me. Sometimes an outright dawdle, and sometimes with an excursion into the Peak District for fun on the way home.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've met many people over the years who claim to ride at some average or other. When I've ridden with them most have failed to be able to ride at that speed for a kilometre or two let alone the entire ride.
Unless I was racing I have never been concerned whether other people were riding faster or slower than me.
karlt

Post by karlt »

BrianFox wrote:
I too find I lack the motivation to go out in the evenings or weekends having been on the bike for up to 100 miles already in a given week - doing the same route every time - and I think that's the issue.

I do a 10 mile (each way) commute and I find it makes me want to do more in evenings and weekends, not less. My route is mainly countryside and I enjoy the wildlife and the time in the outdoors.

The commute is just how I get to work in an enjoyable and stress free way. I don't really think of it as cycling at all. It does, of course, help keep me fit for fun cycling (evenings and weekends). I'd happily do a lot more of that if I had the time.

I used to keep a log of times and such but now I just do it as the mood takes, occasionally flat out as fast as possible but more often just a steady pace, which is about 14mph for me. Sometimes an outright dawdle, and sometimes with an excursion into the Peak District for fun on the way home.

I work near the middle of Sheffield. Whilst half the commute is pleasantly rural, the first half is invariably uphill - I live near Chesterfield so heading south from work, whichever route I take, I get to start with two miles uphill and 450', via a busy suburban dual carriageway involving two horrific junctions which are haunted by tossers in white Audis who think that if you could get a fag paper between your handlebars and their wing mirror they've left more than enough room, left hand filter lanes to avoid getting stuck in, both on c. 10% ramps with 40mph traffic to filter into and tramlines at acute angles before I get to the rural bit. And even then it's more a thinner urban ribbon than truly countryside; for the latter I have to extend the commute by several miles and half an hour, which just isn't an option in the afternoon.

The steep hill at the end can [insert word here] right off as well. Not in the mood for it when I haven't had me tea yet and it's gone 6.

This after a full day of work just isn't appealing, and by the end I'm glad to stick the bike in the garage and be finished with the thing.

Though since you're near the Peak you probably know the area. Suggestions for avoiding Prince of Wales Road getting from Darnall to Calow are appreciated, although I've been years trying to find them.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think they mean the average speed of the average cyclist. I don't use a computer these days. But when I did, my average speed was usually around 13-15 mph. Commuting was on the fast end of that. I knew the roads, which made a difference.

However, when I was cycling, if I looked down at how fast I was going on a straight flat, it was usually around 17 or 18 mph. There was one section of road going into the village where I could consistently get over 25 mph for a couple of miles. But of course, I also slow for junctions, lights, hills, headwinds, and other things. Even if the computer doesn't count stopped time, those things bring the average way down.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

karlt wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd not describe myself as a particularly extraordinary cyclist, but I'm also most assuredly not average.

Interestingly, my commute is 14 miles (each way - I do wish people would clarify when they say "I have an x mile commute!") but I'd stopped doing it because I wasn't enjoying it any more. I started again but made it a strict rule not to put the hammer down because it's that that made me hate it. It means the average is now 15-16 instead of 16-17. but how the hell do you get 22? Is it pancake flat? I can just about average 20+ on dead flat roads with smooth tarmac, but otherwise forget it. Any hill has me straight under 20.

14 each way, and the 22mph is on a low racer 'bent.
There is very little in the way of serious hills, certainly none that are long enough to drop my speed too much.

If I have had enough to eat then I tend not to drop below 15 except for the very few junctions I have - that's key. 11+ miles of the route has one right turn, one major roundabout, one mini roundabout (very limited side traffic, so rarely stop), another major roundabout (rarely stop at it though), a right turn, then a left turn (I need to stop and check traffic) and a final right turn (rarely do I have to slow/stop for this turn, it's between minor roads.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote:I don't think they mean the average speed of the average cyclist. I don't use a computer these days. But when I did, my average speed was usually around 13-15 mph......

My computer gives me an average - which builds through the ride and when I get home I record it (with loads of other info) in a spreadsheet (bit OCD'y maybe). Thus I know my average speed pretty accurately (or rather the average average speed!). Of course there are effects of stopping at junctions and at what point the computer decides you are stationary (i.e. how long it waits when stationary before starting to exclude time from the average).

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Though since you're near the Peak you probably know the area. Suggestions for avoiding Prince of Wales Road getting from Darnall to Calow are appreciated, although I've been years trying to find them.

Sorry, I'm the exact opposite side of the Peak, can't help. I do realise I'm very lucky with my commuting route (barring the one occasion I was T-boned).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

karlt wrote:
BrianFox wrote:

I work near the middle of Sheffield. Whilst half the commute is pleasantly rural, the first half is invariably uphill - I live near Chesterfield so heading south from work, whichever route I take, I get to start with two miles uphill and 450', via a busy suburban dual carriageway involving two horrific junctions which are haunted by tossers in white Audis who think that if you could get a fag paper between your handlebars and their wing mirror they've left more than enough room, left hand filter lanes to avoid getting stuck in, both on c. 10% ramps with 40mph traffic to filter into and tramlines at acute angles before I get to the rural bit. And even then it's more a thinner urban ribbon than truly countryside; for the latter I have to extend the commute by several miles and half an hour, which just isn't an option in the afternoon.

The steep hill at the end can [insert word here] right off as well. Not in the mood for it when I haven't had me tea yet and it's gone 6.

This after a full day of work just isn't appealing, and by the end I'm glad to stick the bike in the garage and be finished with the thing.

I used to commute up Pow road from work in Roth, 'kin awful road for bikes! My parents place is in Darnall, I'm at the top of the bypass so your commute is the obvious route but I use the loop into the centre (it's not actually that busy if you cut through the canal basin area and over the roundabout), behind the station then up Chessy Rd, slightly longer but quicker and the bonus of less tram and no stupid uphill lane changes, the climb is climbed and you can avoid M/head by cutting across to Coal Aston from the top of the park. Then you can lane it down to Chessy. (for a bit more of a challenge go up Derbyshire Lane through the park and across to Coal Aston. It might be quicker at CA to drop into Dronny and down through Unstone to Whitty? Of course you could tackle M/Head and go straight down the bypass - very fast once you get to the top!)

An alternative could be out via Woodhouse, Beighton, Halfway, Ecky and in from there but I wouldn't particularly fancy riding on a lot of those roads at commute times even if there is possibly less uphill involved - lots of rat running.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!