Never Appreciated I Was Such a "Slow" Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lilyf

Re: Never Appreciated I Was Such a "Slow" Cyclist

Post by Lilyf »

Yet article from CUK says an average cyclist rides between 15-20 mph! I've never managed a ride averaging even 15 mph. Maybe I should be "trying harder" and never appreciated I am "below average".

I've just re-read the first post (part of which is above)and I now think it has been interpreted wrongly.

It says 'the average cyclist rides between 15-20mph', NOT the cyclist averages between 15-20mph. The interpretation makes a vast amount of difference.

Yesterday, on our ride out into Cheshire I averaged 11.8mph over 76 miles. I was extremely proud of myself as I've been tending to average between 10-11mph (on flattish rides) of late. Mind you the tail wind for the last 36 miles helped, especially as I was beginning to tire during the afternoon.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lilyf wrote:Yet article from CUK says an average cyclist rides between 15-20 mph! I've never managed a ride averaging even 15 mph. Maybe I should be "trying harder" and never appreciated I am "below average".

I've just re-read the first post (part of which is above)and I now think it has been interpreted wrongly.

It says 'the average cyclist rides between 15-20mph', NOT the cyclist averages between 15-20mph. The interpretation makes a vast amount of difference.

I understand your distinction between "average cyclist" and "cyclist averages", but I think giving one's average speed is more indicating where you fit in the 15-20mph range. One could argue that every cyclist can never always be 15-20mph as they will regularly drop to 10, 9, 8, 7 ... 1, 0 mph as the arrive at a junction they need to stop at.

So when I say "I'm really slow and clearly not the type of cyclist CUK are interested in" because I average high 13's mph the "high 13's" positions me significantly below CUK's 15-20 mph and thus I am significantly slower than the average cyclist (or at least the average cyclist CUK seem interested in).

In some respects the CUK have confused two averages in that they talk about their (rather questionable) average cyclist and then provide a suggestion of average speed of that average cyclist.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What do you do on the flat when not confronted by a vicious headwind?

The average cyclist cycles at 15-20mph might be referring to that, rather than their overall average speed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:What do you do on the flat when not confronted by a vicious headwind?

The average cyclist cycles at 15-20mph might be referring to that, rather than their overall average speed.

I haven't re-read the article but I don't remember any mention of "flat with no headwind"; and that would need clarification as when there is no meteorological wind, I ride at 13 mph and I have an apparent headwind of 13mph - so when you say no headwind do you mean dead calm meteorological wind conditions of a following wind exactly equal to your own speed, etc.

And I find road surface can make a massive difference. Many country lanes surface dressed are so lumpy, crotch shaped ice packs are more of a consideration than speed.

Edit: Having checked the article it says "An average cyclist will ride at around 15 – 20 miles per hour," which I take to mean that an average cyclist on an average trip will average between 15-20 mph. the 15-20 mph has to be an average because even Bradley Wigging at times travels at 1 mph probably several times every trip (as they set off, as they stop at a junction, etc.). So for me average conditions (sometimes following wind, sometimes headwind, sometimes flat, sometimes inclines) an overally average is the relevant figure - eliminating the weather, incline, road surface variations.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 7 Aug 2017, 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Lilyf wrote:Yet article from CUK says an average cyclist rides between 15-20 mph! I've never managed a ride averaging even 15 mph. Maybe I should be "trying harder" and never appreciated I am "below average".

Yesterday, on our ride out into Cheshire I averaged 11.8mph over 76 miles. I was extremely proud of myself as I've been tending to average between 10-11mph (on flattish rides) of late. Mind you the tail wind for the last 36 miles helped, especially as I was beginning to tire during the afternoon.

Oh, I could pip that by saying that I averaged 11.9 over 72 miles :)
But I was on a bike weighing 60Ibs and over half the route was over 150' / mile climbing :mrgreen:

Its all relative-
Terrain
Weather
Tyres
Darkness
Even lone / group ride
Morale

They say that weight on the flat does not matter but it does as the even minor acceleration takes its toll on carrying a load.

I have lost my way with the post, the OP's link was advice from a sportsperson.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:.....

My concern was that is was not qualified as such but targeted at "average cyclists". My worry being that "sportspersons" is who CUK see as the sector they are interested in - when your average cyclists is one who needs/follows such advice and meets such average speeds.

If CUK was to encourage people to take-up cycling, to make riding a normal form of transport, to shops, etc. then such unqualified articles will serve only to discourage people starting. But maybe it will encourage the sports/race enthusiasts to consider CUK "their type of organisation".

CUK needs to consider what it is out to achieve because there seems little thought going into what it is doing.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:What do you do on the flat when not confronted by a vicious headwind?

I haven't re-read the article but I don't remember any mention of "flat with no headwind"; and that would need clarification as when there is no meteorological wind, I ride at 13 mph and I have an apparent headwind of 13mph - so when you say no headwind do you mean dead calm meteorological wind conditions of a following wind exactly equal to your own speed, etc.

And I find road surface can make a massive difference. Many country lanes surface dressed are so lumpy, crotch shaped ice packs are more of a consideration than speed.

Edit: Having checked the article it says "An average cyclist will ride at around 15 – 20 miles per hour," which I take to mean that an average cyclist on an average trip will average between 15-20 mph. the 15-20 mph has to be an average because even Bradley Wigging at times travels at 1 mph probably several times every trip (as they set off, as they stop at a junction, etc.). So for me average conditions (sometimes following wind, sometimes headwind, sometimes flat, sometimes inclines) an overally average is the relevant figure - eliminating the weather, incline, road surface variations.

Ian

It doesn't say they *average* that, but that they ride at it.

15-20mph is going some, particularly over any distance - but it is also reasonably comfortable when on the flat on a decent road.
As MickF has pointed out - the terrain over which you ride has a serious impact on the speed you can average, but it does also depend on surface, and number of junctions at which you cede priority.

I'd feel reasonably confident (just based on the numbers) that the article is talking about 'cruising speed' on the flat and on a still day.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes I remember your earlier post and agree..........don't frighten them off :wink:

That's what happens when you go to circuit training and the instructor wants 20 press-ups five times in half an hour :o
Participants are mixed sexes and low ability and 15 - 40 age, at that time I did it all but I was the only one out of 40 people, many gave up and left before end to languish in the bar...............
I even reckon the instructor could not have kept up.

I used to do press-ups every day and could manage up to forty straight off...just done 10, minutes ago and feel light headed :mrgreen:

Its possible to have different levels within the club but more sensible programs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

It doesn't say they *average* that, but that they ride at it.

15-20mph is going some, particularly over any distance - but it is also reasonably comfortable when on the flat on a decent road.
As MickF has pointed out - the terrain over which you ride has a serious impact on the speed you can average, but it does also depend on surface, and number of junctions at which you cede priority.

I'd feel reasonably confident (just based on the numbers) that the article is talking about 'cruising speed' on the flat and on a still day.

I'm gradually coming to the view that it is an ill-thought-out poorly written article because there are so many possible interpretations. You could be right, or it could be that your average UK cyclists does not typically have flat smooth road with no headwind. When you interpret the article you are doing so with vast experience (working out what the author meant in part from the numbers they quote). But a novice considering or starting cycling will not have the benefit of such experience for interpretation of those numbers ... and I thought it was those starting out, considering, etc. that CUK was after encouraging, not your lycra bouy suit, head down and woosh to the finish line (most of us don't even think about a "finish line", we just arrive home).

Ian
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Checking my records for past year on garmin/strava, I ride at speeds between 3mph and 35mph, and my average speed ranges from 11.5 to 17mph.

My average speeds are in the range 11.5 mph to 17 mph. The former was a 51 mile route and 6,207 feet of ascent. The later, a 52 mile route and 2,297 feet of ascent. Age 59 going on 60. Both solo rides. On some occasions my garmin has momentarily auto-paused on climbs. It does that at speeds below 3.5mph. My typical max speed will be low thirties mph.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I am clearly not an average cyclist as my average rarely gets above 10mph. Should I just give up and go away? I know I am aged and beyond the age of anything but I still cycle camp and will continue until I die. Mebbe I should just say goodbuy now and that will be the end of life.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Psamathe wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:.....

My concern was that is was not qualified as such but targeted at "average cyclists". My worry being that "sportspersons" is who CUK see as the sector they are interested in - when your average cyclists is one who needs/follows such advice and meets such average speeds.

If CUK was to encourage people to take-up cycling, to make riding a normal form of transport, to shops, etc. then such unqualified articles will serve only to discourage people starting. But maybe it will encourage the sports/race enthusiasts to consider CUK "their type of organisation".

CUK needs to consider what it is out to achieve because there seems little thought going into what it is doing.

Ian
That's my view also. I don't think the article is right for general cycling. 20miles in 90minutes is not general cycling. It's written by a sports triathlete and headed with a picture of her riding or training for a race. But the article is headed "What to eat when you are cycling". I just eat what I normally eat. :roll: , but she starts by writing "cycling is a fickle thing". Really? Basically the article is about sports cycling and should have a suitable heading to indicate that.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Don't stop ambodach! Cycling is a very individual activity, like a lot of things. It sounds like cycling is a big part of your life and the speed you do is personal to you. It's only when one is judged as a cyclist on speed or something else that divisions can begin. If you look at cyclists covering a whole spectrum of abilities and objectives, then I hope you can identify with cycling in a way that suits you. The closer you look into what "average" actually means the more meaningless it seems to become. So to call one's self average generalises to the extent that any individuality is lost.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:I am clearly not an average cyclist as my average rarely gets above 10mph. Should I just give up and go away? I know I am aged and beyond the age of anything but I still cycle camp and will continue until I die. Mebbe I should just say goodbuy now and that will be the end of life.

Nah, just join a group that still wants people like you. I understand there's a touring cyclists club, but I haven't looked at it since the eye test problem I had some time ago.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's easy to game your average moving speed, as calculated by computer: hurtle up to junctions, slam on the brakes at the last minute and sprint away. OK, there's a few chances per billion that your brakes won't stop you in time and you'll get minced, but that's the price to pay for chasing the almighty mph. Or simply diddle the autopause settings.

And you can strip down the bike, carry no tools and minimal food, wear skintight clothing, get into an aero tuck and ride big busy flat roads with one eye on power and heart rate meters all the time. When you're moving, you'll be as fast as possible, but some rides will end up scratched.

Or you could realise what matters isn't distance divided by moving time, but fun divided by all time. Go do stuff you find fun and if you really want to reduce the time it takes, reduce what you can without sacrificing fun and learn to keep moving by things like drinking on the move, eating from a bar bag and using smarter sat navs or route sheets. Your moving average may fall but you may find you get there faster than hammering it but taking breaks. And never give up a chance for fun along the way. It's much easier to reduce time a bit than increase fun.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.