TV Map Man discusses Barts Maps for Cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pedalling Pete

TV Map Man discusses Barts Maps for Cyclists

Post by Pedalling Pete »

In case you haven't spotted it, tonight (Monday 5th Sept) BBC2 at 8pm are showing a new series of Map Man with Nicholas Crane. Nick worked with the CTC back in 1980 producing their Route Guide to
Cycling in Britain & Ireland.

This 1st programme looks at the Barts maps from Victorian times, with Nick riding in the Lake District.
Lizb.bird

Re:TV Map Man discusses Barts Maps for Cyclists

Post by Lizb.bird »

Hardy cyclists back in those days. Some of those tracks I would think twice about doing them on my modern MTB.
I loved his brakes!!!
TJ

Post by TJ »

I think the brakes were purely decorative!
SPANNER

Post by SPANNER »

RE the brakes on map mans 1930 roadster when decending a steep hill they dont always work and if the bike is a large frame with 28 inch wheels (yes 28 inch) you cant get your foot down to slow the pace.
I was on a 1914 Royal Enfield on a vcc run 3 years ago and on decending into South Queensferry found that the brakes didnt work a case of DEEP S**T and hope for the best!
I should point out that the bike was borrowed for the run but the run captain who owned the bike should have ensured the brakes worked properly
Saying this though with new brake blocks and properly adjusted rod brakes do work properly