My first year of Commuting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Spinners

Re: My first year of Commuting

Post by Spinners »

gbnz wrote:
Spinners wrote: My commuter bike (pictured above) is now up for sale on Gumtree.

But how will you go on holiday? Or do the shopping, visit family, go to the beach, catch a train? Are you going to WALK!

I have a shed full of bikes!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've been commuting for 27 of the past 29 years. Distances from 4 to 20 miles each way and currently 13 miles. As long as the trees are not been blown over I don't think about anything driving or getting the bus. I find both of these alternatives a pain, especially driving as in order to avoid traffic I need to get up really early and then I still need to have breakfast at work.
I'm looking forward to the clocks changing when I sometime add some extra loops. Often if it's a really nice evening I slow right down and make the most of it. As most of my commute is on the Bath Bristol Railway path is easy to pottle along and not worry about motorised traffic.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:Well, my commuting days came to an end last month when my company merged with another and I got 'TUPE'd' to a new position where I essentially work from home. I'm really missing commuting!

I'm trying to slot a short 40 minute ride in early morning if it's not too bad and will increase the distance when Spring arrives. My commuter bike (pictured above) is now up for sale on Gumtree.

Please explain TUPE
Diolch yn fawr iawn
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:+1

Someone at work asked me *why are you always in a good mood?* The answer occurred to me later, because I cycled to work - fresh air and a bit of exercise

Imagined how the conversation might have contiued:
'Why are you so often in a bad mood?' I enquired cautiously
'Because I travel by bus, or rather several buses, I spend three hours each day in 'chauffer-driven mercedeses', he bleated
Barks

Post by Barks »

Retired now one year and I thoroughly enjoyed my last few working years when I used bike (Brompton) and train to travel all over the UK. Most memorable trip was to RAF Valley on the Isle of Anglesey in North Wales. The cycling to/from the train stations at so many places around the UK is the only thing I miss about work - so many surprising little gems that i’d have never thought of going to if it had just been left to my choice (ok, maybe a one or two I’d have rather have given a miss, too few to mention :lol: )

Now my daily ‘commute’ is down to the shops, meet my mates, play hockey and cricket (home games only I am afraid) and go to gym. I think I may need to try a little tour to extend my horizons.

By the way IGH gear has been fantastic, no way i’m using derailleurs any more.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Retired recently so no more cycle commuting - however all those rushed car shopping trips and visits to friends etc. are now leisurely ambles on the bicycles - bliss :D

The car gathers cobwebs and dust in between occasional 200 mile excursions to see the kids.
andrec

Post by andrec »

After decades of commuting by bike I now walk 300 yards to work. On the teams I've worked with I have always been the only one who cycled to work. Now I work in a team of three and I'm the only one who does not cycle to work.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've been working the last few days at a supplier location 5 miles from my house. It's been nice to have a leisurely commute on river side cycle paths, rather than my normal 10 miles & almost 1000 feet of climbing, though I missed my views. I had to go for a 30 mile bike ride yesterday to make up for it :lol:

Tomorrow, I'm back to my normal commute.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:I've been working the last few days at a supplier location 5 miles from my house. It's been nice to have a leisurely commute on river side cycle paths, rather than my normal 10 miles & almost 1000 feet of climbing, though I missed my views. I had to go for a 30 mile bike ride yesterday to make up for it :lol:

Tomorrow, I'm back to my normal commute.

Reminds me of an ad for a**i cars
'Move further out of town so you can enjoy driving a longer journey to work' :?

I used to live three minutes from work too, walked home for lunch every day
Now I cycle 11 km each way, it is gr8, no need to go cycling for fun at the weekend :wink:
Got a cycling plan for retirement, mind