My first year of Commuting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Spinners

My first year of Commuting

Post by Spinners »

Whilst I've been a cyclist for many years I've only been a cycling commuter for one year celebrating my anniversary this week. Now, compared to some of you my commuting mileage is pathetically short but I've really enjoyed it!

Last August I went into the Giant store in Swansea and saw an Escape 3 reduced from £300 to £240 and thought it would be ideal for my planned commute so bought it and rode it home. Maintenance wise, over the year I've washed it twice, oiled the chain twice and probably pumped up the tyres about six times. It does need a birthday wash and some brake blocks. I consider it a cracking purchase and would recommend it.

Because my commute is so short I decided to stick to working clothes (including collar & tie!) with a cheap Aldi cycling top and I don't wear a helmet on the largely traffic free routes that I use.

If anyone is thinking of starting cycle commuting then, please, just do it!
Last edited by Spinners on 22 Aug 2017, 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gaz

Re: My first year of Commuting

Post by gaz »

:D
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1

Someone at work asked me *why are you always in a good mood?* The answer occurred to me later, because I cycled to work - fresh air and a bit of exercise. There was no alternative to cycling for the 6 km

How long is your journey, up or down hills? How did you get to work before? Why do you wear a tie?

Even when one knows the area very well, one should keep a look out for new and better routes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:+1

How long is your journey, up or down hills? How did you get to work before? Why do you wear a tie?

Just 3km each way and pretty flat* and I'll quite often pop home for lunch as well usually using a short cut that clips 1km off (without writing an essay the short cut is not always available) so a good day will see me do 10km of commuting plus I usually go out on my road bike before work for a 15km blast.

I used to get in by car (I have a company car) and this makes a good back-up should the weather be absolutely foul.

The tie? Well, whilst no longer enforceable by a dress code, I guess it's just how I am and I do like to be smartly dressed when visiting customers as part of my job.

* A 3-speed hub gear would be ideal rather than the 24 I'm lugging around!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PH

Post by PH »

Congrats on the first year, once in the habit I couldn't work out why I didn't do it years before. The hardest part was admitting the idea I needed to use a car was wrong. Now I don't know how people can drive every day, they have my sympathy.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I've been cycle commuting for about a year as well after almost 30 years of driving to Coventry/Birmingham (30 and 26 miles respectively). My commute is short (2.5 miles) but has resulted in my annual cycling mileage going up despite doing far fewer leisure rides. My commute is almost entirely on roads few of which could be described as quiet at the times I'm on them but I have nevertheless enjoyed it and saved tons of cash and even more tons of carbon dioxide. My car now sits unused and forlorn for up to a week at a time.

It takes me back to my youth (late 70s/early 80s) when I worked in Cambridge and cycle commuted from Milton (near what is now the A14), happy days.

On the odd day I use the car (either due to the weather or if I have to somewhere afterwards etc) I feel genuinely disappointed.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I cycled to work for my entire working life plus the previous 5 years to school. No choice before buying my first car at age 45. After that knowing I had a choice made me appreciate the bike even more. Still riding after 20 years of retirement (but not so far or fast :) ).
PH

Post by PH »

Grandad wrote:I cycled to work for my entire working life plus the previous 5 years to school.

I'm jealous, I didn't ride a bike at all between the age of 15 and 40 and now I have no idea why!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I started a decade ago (crikey) because of limited parking at the office, and it being a mile away (the long way).

Changed jobs soon after that, pay cut though so tried to get rid of the second car on economic grounds. That worked - the 10 mile (each way) commute really boosted me - got rid of the second car after a full winters riding.

When I changed jobs again I moved significantly closer to home and so an extra car wasn't considered. I've changed again since then, and now do 14 miles each way. Interestingly I seem to end up WFH one day a week for various reasons - so whilst 120-130 mile weeks are common 150 mile weeks are fairly rare...

On the 10 mile commute I was only just slower on the bike/trike than in a car, over 14 miles the difference is pulling out - it the site is *so* bad to get out of, and there are a couple of extremely busy junctions, that I am more than just competitive on the return journey - at least during term time ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
dobbo800

Post by dobbo800 »

I've been riding to work by bicycle for about 7 years now. One way is 8km / 5 miles. I'm fortunate with my route - Penarth to central Cardiff. Some of it is busy road, for sure, but most involves riding through boating marinas and along a river. Apart from the occasional dipstick driver, it's a nice route.

I started with a Cannondale Quick, moved on to a BMC Alpen Challenge AC01 and, for the last 400 miles, have been using a Cube Editor. The BMC was lovely but the Cube is the perfect commuting bike for me - hydraulic disk brakes, Alfine 11 IGH and Gates carbon belt drive. Smooth, quiet, fast and low maintenance. Sure the Alfine takes a little getting used to but it's handy to be able to change up and down to any gear at a standstill. 11 gears is more than enough. The belt drive is ultra quiet, works perfectly and no oil! Great if you want to hop on the bike wearing your jeans and pop down the shops. I won't be going to back to derailleurs, chain and (let's be honest) pointless 30 gears.

Cheers.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I miss my commuting days.

My first commute was on an old sit up and beg type thing in the 80's that my father in law still rides. Of course this was after my school cycling commute on a bike I sold when I passed my driving test.

My last commute was 30 years later down a busy A road on a very nice bike. With hindsight my commute for those last few years was bloody suicidal but sometimes your confidence overrides all kind of sensibility.

Enjoy it, make the most of it and stay safe.
Abu Milhem

Post by Abu Milhem »

Well done!

I'm approaching my 35th year of cycle commuting in the centre of London. The ride to work is the best part of my day. I find I enjoy it more than the ride home. Even though I have a free pass for TfL services I barely use it, the bike is always quicker and more pleasant. As my ride is only 4km I don't bother with cycle specific clothing nor a helmet. I have about 5 different routes that I use ranging from busy to quieter back streets.

Although it is cheering to see so many riders out on the streets I have distinct memories of cycling around London from the late 1960s to the 80s when I was often the only person on a bike on many of the streets...happy days, with more to come before I retire.
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

tykeboy2003 wrote:On the odd day I use the car (either due to the weather or if I have to somewhere afterwards etc) I feel genuinely disappointed.

Well done on your cycle commuting Spinners. It doesn't matter about the distance, it's enjoyment that counts.

I can empathise with tykeboy's comment. It's how I feel when I don't/can't cycle to work.

I started part-commuting occasionally (once a week) by bike in 2011, it was difficult to do it any more often. When we moved to our current house 3 years ago though, I found I could cycle the 4 miles to Loughborough rail station then get on the train to Nottingham. Just cycling this 3 times a week throughout the year got me fitter and I find I could cycle for longer on leisure rides. 2 years ago I started cycling the 6.5 miles to East Mids Parkway station which involves a decent hill and at first it was really hard. Now its enjoyable and sometimes in summer when time allows I even cycle the 18 miles home from Nottingham on the way home.

I love my cycle commutes. I get to work feeling awake and more cheerful. The cycle home means I switch off from work and feel refreshed when I get home. Even cold winter rides and rides home in the dark are enjoyable with the right clothes.

Hope you carry on enjoying your cycling for many years to come :-)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Well, my commuting days came to an end last month when my company merged with another and I got 'TUPE'd' to a new position where I essentially work from home. I'm really missing commuting!

I'm trying to slot a short 40 minute ride in early morning if it's not too bad and will increase the distance when Spring arrives. My commuter bike (pictured above) is now up for sale on Gumtree.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Spinners wrote: My commuter bike (pictured above) is now up for sale on Gumtree.

But how will you go on holiday? Or do the shopping, visit family, go to the beach, catch a train? Are you going to WALK!