But did she pass her test is I want to know

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

But did she pass her test is I want to know

Post by mercalia »

Postboxer

Re: But did she pass her test is I want to know

Post by Postboxer »

I hope not, if they were able to pass, I'd be happier if they passed after their ban, rather than passing then being banned for 12 months before driving again.

It's pretty bad driving from the following two cars too, neither of which seem to react to the lights and barrier coming down.

The first barrier came down way before the second, so they could easily have just kept going.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I really get the impression that if she hadn't braked and had carried on, the second car would have tailgated across behind her
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

She was a learner driver, learners do dodgy manoevers all the time, it's up to the qualified driver in the passenger seat to keep them, and those around them, safe. The qualified driver should have been prosecuted/fined in this case in my view.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rualexander wrote:She was a learner driver, learners do dodgy manoevers all the time, it's up to the qualified driver in the passenger seat to keep them, and those around them, safe. The qualified driver should have been prosecuted/fined in this case in my view.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rualexander wrote:She was a learner driver, learners do dodgy manoevers all the time, it's up to the qualified driver in the passenger seat to keep them, and those around them, safe. The qualified driver should have been prosecuted/fined in this case in my view.

I was under the impression that the qualified driver bore at least as much responsibility as the learner...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

When working with a student, if the student does something wrong it is the qualified midwife who gets the 'flack'. The qualified driver should have had some control of the vehicle and should be taken to task, i wonder how traumatized the learner was after that experience!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I suppose there's only so much you can do from the passenger seat. Shouting at them to stop when the lights came on is one of the things though, then telling them to go go go once on the crossing. If the learner doesn't listen though you are stuck. I wonder what the insurance premium will be for a newly qualified driver who's already had 12 months ban, even if they are older.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Postboxer wrote:I suppose there's only so much you can do from the passenger seat. Shouting at them to stop when the lights came on is one of the things though, then telling them to go go go once on the crossing. If the learner doesn't listen though you are stuck. I wonder what the insurance premium will be for a newly qualified driver who's already had 12 months ban, even if they are older.

There is a reasonable argument for stopping the open license to teach people to drive.

A qualified driving instructor could have prevented this happening at all with a dual brake.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Cunobelin wrote:
Postboxer wrote:I suppose there's only so much you can do from the passenger seat. Shouting at them to stop when the lights came on is one of the things though, then telling them to go go go once on the crossing. If the learner doesn't listen though you are stuck. I wonder what the insurance premium will be for a newly qualified driver who's already had 12 months ban, even if they are older.

There is a reasonable argument for stopping the open license to teach people to drive.

A qualified driving instructor could have prevented this happening at all with a dual brake.

and therefore making learning to drive unaffordable for anyone who can't afford a significant number of professional lessons. I know that I had vastly more driving experience than most of my peers when I passed my test aged 17 because I drove at every opportunity with my parents for 8 months, with only 6 professional lessons just before my test to get any fine points I may have missed, rather than the standard 20 professional lessons most of my friends had. The latter may get you through the test but it does not teach you to drive.

We don't know what motivated this person to go through the barrier (deliberate or just a mistake) but she was certainly ill-advised by, or ignored, the person beside her with her subsequent actions. What seems clear to me is that the person in the car behind, who presumably had passed their driving test, intended to follow her through the barrier. To follow the above logic all cars should therefore be fitted with dual controls and have a qualified instructor ready to prevent any law-breaking or foolishness.