Riding on the Pavement

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Riding on the Pavement

Post by Mick F »

Out on a ride today and went up the hill past Tavistock Hospital on the Lamerton road.

As I turned up the hill, there were two horses being ridden beautifully. The horses were confident, and trotted along un-fazed by the passing traffic. I went up the hill at the same speed but maybe 50yds behind them.

Just here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.54758 ... 312!8i6656
The riders steered the horses onto the pavement and continued up the hill and around the bend further up, over the old railway bridge, and kept going.
All the time they rode on the pavement (footway) until they turned right at the next road.

We all know it's illegal to drive a vehicle on a footway, and likewise to ride a pedal cycle on a footway.

What about riding horses?
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Re: Riding on the Pavement

Post by LollyKat »

Well, horses have feet, so..... :D
Si

Post by Si »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let me say that if this were a first-time poster I'd assume it was an attempt to be controversial. I've linked to s72 Highways Act 1835 more times than I care to think.

For those who don't follow links and without the time to read my lengthy posts in full here it is with my emphasis.

72 Penalty on persons committing nuisances by riding on footpaths, &c.
. . . . If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F2; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Wil ... section/72

PS Cycling in this context is driving a carriage.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

But if I came across horses on the footpath,personally I wouldn't object esp. if there were young riders involved. I take the view that if I'm using the footpath because the road at that point is too dangerous to cycle, the same applies to them.legal or not!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

rmurphy195 wrote:But if I came across horses on the footpath,personally I wouldn't object esp. if there were young riders involved. I take the view that if I'm using the footpath because the road at that point is too dangerous to cycle, the same applies to them.legal or not!

+1 to that - absolutely.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Let me say that if this were a first-time poster I'd assume it was an attempt to be controversial.
TC, let me say that I was not being controversial, and I'm sure you knew that. :wink:

My issue was that I expected it to be illegal. I wasn't sure, and it's nice to see the letter of the law. Mrs Mick F said that I should ask you directly regarding the horses, but I said I should just put it on the forum for discussion.

Let me say though, that they may have been illegally riding, but TBH (and to be frank), they were riding responsibly and riding confidently and courteously.

Maybe cyclists ride on pavements because they also ride "responsibly and riding confidently and courteously". ??
I see it all the time in the town and in the city. It's sort of expected perhaps?
Mick F. Cornwall
david7591

Post by david7591 »

thirdcrank wrote:Let me say that if this were a first-time poster I'd assume it was an attempt to be controversial. I've linked to s72 Highways Act 1835 more times than I care to think.

For those who don't follow links and without the time to read my lengthy posts in full here it is with my emphasis.

72 Penalty on persons committing nuisances by riding on footpaths, &c.
. . . . If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F2; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Wil ... section/72

PS Cycling in this context is driving a carriage.

But what about dogs? Are some animals more equal than others?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In Welsh a cycle is ceffyl haearn, iron horse

Went for a ride in a wagon behind two horses at the weekend, they did about 3 kmh through the leafy suburb

Held up a lot of motons, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What is it with horses today?

Came up behind one this morning, held behind it called to the rider just to say I was there, because I suspected that the horse had seen me. She turned right, I turned left - no problem (although the horse was a little eager to get going I feel.

On the way home me two horses coming the other way. Did my normal - stop and stand up - and was thanked by the riders (the first horse at least had been a bit spooked as they came into view (not atypical)

But the last time I saw a horse en route was months ago.... and two in one day.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

In Welsh a cycle is ceffyl haearn, iron horse

I think things have moved on a bit since then.
Even in the 1950's it was "dur i gyd" ie all steel, no iron. Well for Raleigh at least.
Yma o Hyd
Debs

Post by Debs »

My observations of the horse & riders encountered on my local rides are that they plod along rather slowly compared to the average 15 - 20 mph bicycle rider [on country lane + also part of National Cycle Network route]
First i stop pedalling for a few seconds - the freewheel rattle maybe heard by the horse or rider, and i ping the bell just once. Sometimes i see the horse's ears twitch, or crane it's neck around to eyeball my approach from the rear - i think this is what usually alerts the rider.

It's always a bit concerning because one never knows how the horse will react but seems to go okay generally, by the time i'm passing the horse my speed has slowed to 10mph or so, and i pass quietly but time to say hello to the rider and usually all is friendly. Just occasionally a horse can react scatty, had a horse rear up once, and the rider shouted at me for coming up behind too fast - even tho i'd slowed down somewhat. Whoops can't win them all.

If there are no pedestrians around the pavement would seem harmless enough for horse & riders to time share for a little way - and due to the slow plod-along gate they seems to do. A lot safer than some cyclists who carelessly bomb along on pavements at 15mph +
barrym

Post by barrym »

FWIW, I always start talking as I approach. "Good morning, coming by.....". I was asked to do this by a very experienced horsewoman who explained that horses recognise human voice but not necessarily 'bells'.

YMMV[emoji848]
--
Cheers
Barry
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

david7591 wrote:.................But what about dogs? Are some animals more equal than others?

My reading of the act as posted by TC is that it would cover you riding the dog but not leading it. Is this what you had in mind :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So what you're suggesting, is that if the horse riders had dismounted and lead their horses on the pavement, they would have been legal?
Mick F. Cornwall