Are we riding too fast.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlaninWales

Re: Are we riding too fast.

Post by AlaninWales »

bigjim wrote:The satnav thing in my daughters newish car chirps up when you are exceeding the limit. So should be easy for such owners to stay within limits. Not in in my old banger though. The only thing that chirps up when I am doing something wrong is my better half. :)

Modern satnavs (including many separate ones) can be set up to do this. However it relies on the data used for their maps being up to date on the limits in place. Mine is updated regularly yet has 60mph indicated where 50 and 40 is now in place, 50mph in a 70 limit (leaving a roundabout, where the carriageway approaching the roundabout is a 50 limit but satnav indicates that as a 70 limit) and 30 mph in places that have been changed to dual carriageway with 70 limit.
Basically it is so unreliable that anyone driving by the satnav limits would be dangerous. Nothing replaces paying attention to what is going on outside the vehicle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:For anyone cycling over here, the blanket speed limit on rural cycle paths is 20 kph. That said, I've only ever heard of one speed trap, so the only real limit is your own oomph, and of course your natural courtesy to others.

In come cities, though, the speed limit on shared paths is 10 kph and they do check it.

Are such limits signed, or is it set in law?

And isn't 10kph/6mph infeasibly low, causing wobbling and greater nuisance?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

mjr wrote:
Audax67 wrote:For anyone cycling over here, the blanket speed limit on rural cycle paths is 20 kph. That said, I've only ever heard of one speed trap, so the only real limit is your own oomph, and of course your natural courtesy to others.

In come cities, though, the speed limit on shared paths is 10 kph and they do check it.

Wouldn't it be dangerous being overtaken by joggers, and brisk walkers at that speed ?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Viele Fahrer sind zu schnell unterwegs. Vor allem ältere Menschen verunglücken oft.
Die Zahl der Verkehrsunfälle mit E-Bikes hat in Schleswig-Holstein drastisch zugenommen. Im vergangenen Jahr sind 376 Pedelec-Fahrer in Unfälle verwickelt gewesen, das sind über 100 mehr als im Vorjahr ...
https://www.shz.de/19752661 ©2018

"Accident" report for Schleswig-Holstein, Germany from sh:z, local newspaper group

Many e-bike riders go too fast. Especially older people often have "accidents"
The number of "accidents" with pedelec involvement has increased drastically. In 2017, 376 riders were involved in "accidents", an increase of more than 100 compared to the year before

How much have the numbers of e-bike increased? Did the number of crashes involving cyclists increase overall? Perhaps the total number of crashes remained the same, but a hgher proportion of them is made up of e-bike cyclists, simply because there are more e-bike cyclists.

Looking at an increase like that without other relevant information, is nothing other than sensationalist. What reason have we to be alarmed at an increase of 100? e-bikes! :shock:

100 more "accidents", 2016: fewer than 276, 2017, 376, seems a lot to me. Still looking out for more media facts :wink:

I do remember the police annual reports. One year fewer "accidents" but more deaths, another year: more "accidents" but fewer deaths. I prefer to trust the media

Had a great day ride on 1.5, cool and damp, hardly any other cyclists about to endanger me
Most people prefer cycling in sunny weather, not sure why :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

AlaninWales wrote:
bigjim wrote:The satnav thing in my daughters newish car chirps up when you are exceeding the limit. So should be easy for such owners to stay within limits. Not in in my old banger though. The only thing that chirps up when I am doing something wrong is my better half. :)

Modern satnavs (including many separate ones) can be set up to do this. However it relies on the data used for their maps being up to date on the limits in place. Mine is updated regularly yet has 60mph indicated where 50 and 40 is now in place, 50mph in a 70 limit (leaving a roundabout, where the carriageway approaching the roundabout is a 50 limit but satnav indicates that as a 70 limit) and 30 mph in places that have been changed to dual carriageway with 70 limit.
Basically it is so unreliable that anyone driving by the satnav limits would be dangerous. Nothing replaces paying attention to what is going on outside the vehicle.

Still useful to have it set to ping when it thinks you have reached the limit though. You can always override it if you know better. Mine tells me I'm exceeding a 30 limit when I'm on a bit of road that is in fact 40.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Viele Fahrer sind zu schnell unterwegs. Vor allem ältere Menschen verunglücken oft.
Die Zahl der Verkehrsunfälle mit E-Bikes hat in Schleswig-Holstein drastisch zugenommen. Im vergangenen Jahr sind 376 Pedelec-Fahrer in Unfälle verwickelt gewesen, das sind über 100 mehr als im Vorjahr ...
https://www.shz.de/19752661 ©2018

"Accident" report for Schleswig-Holstein, Germany from sh:z, local newspaper group

Many e-bike riders go too fast. Especially older people often have "accidents"
The number of "accidents" with pedelec involvement has increased drastically. In 2017, 376 riders were involved in "accidents", an increase of more than 100 compared to the year before

How much have the numbers of e-bike increased? Did the number of crashes involving cyclists increase overall? Perhaps the total number of crashes remained the same, but a hgher proportion of them is made up of e-bike cyclists, simply because there are more e-bike cyclists.

Looking at an increase like that without other relevant information, is nothing other than sensationalist. What reason have we to be alarmed at an increase of 100? e-bikes! :shock:

100 more "accidents", 2016: fewer than 276, 2017, 376, seems a lot to me. Still looking out for more media facts :wink:

I do remember the police annual reports. One year fewer "accidents" but more deaths, another year: more "accidents" but fewer deaths. I prefer to trust the media

Had a great day ride on 1.5, cool and damp, hardly any other cyclists about to endanger me
Most people prefer cycling in sunny weather, not sure why :?

Can I take it that you didn't play rugby when you lived in Wales?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What's rugby got to do with it? :?

Went to a minor public school in England where they tried to force me to play rugby

Led to me taking up cycling, first big trip was to Cymru of course :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What's rugby got to do with it? :?

Went to a minor public school in England where they tried to force me to play rugby

Not meaning to be rude, but you have Welsh heritage but seem (to me) a little too worried by the presence of other cyclists going faster than you. And by the thought of ever going fast yourself on a bike. It occurred to me that the national sport / obsession of Wales is a contact sport that leaves participants bruised as a matter of routine. A bit of Welshness that you missed out on? :wink:

I grew up with bikes and a lot of my childhood memories have bikes in them, and the numerous minor injuries from falling off. The trivial physical risk has made me tolerant of a small amount of physical danger in my life. I embrace it and that frees me from excess worry about what might happen if this or that activity goes a bit wrong. I'll end up with a bruised shin or a cut finger. So what! I don't worry about those small dangers.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mjr wrote:

Rarely signed, you just have to know.

The 10 kph limit was set by a few town councils, who most likely know squat about cycling other than as a means of collecting government subsidies.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:Rarely signed, you just have to know.

The 10 kph limit was set by a few town councils, who most likely know squat about cycling other than as a means of collecting government subsidies.

How does anyone know? The 20kph blanket speed limit sounds suspiciously like the zombie myth of an 18mph blanket limit on UK cycle tracks - that it doesn't actually exist. I had a good dig around in the Code de la Route on Legifrance but can't see any mention of it. There are a few French cycling forums where it's asserted but no-one seems to know where it came from. Where is it set?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

No idea, but it's universally accepted and the police will gaily ticket offenders.

IIRC Nice is one of the places that apply a 10 kph limit on shared paths - largely prompted, I reckon, by nasty little squirts on BMX etc. weaving in and out of pedestrians.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Does the maximum speed limit 10 kmh apply to joggers and runners?
Just read some good news from France, after decades of obsession with speedy trains, the old lines will be getting more attention :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What's rugby got to do with it? :?

Not meaning to be rude, but you have Welsh heritage but seem (to me) a little too worried by the presence of other cyclists going faster than you. And by the thought of ever going fast yourself on a bike. It occurred to me that the national sport / obsession of Wales is a contact sport that leaves participants bruised as a matter of routine. A bit of Welshness that you missed out on? :wink:

I grew up with bikes and a lot of my childhood memories have bikes in them, and the numerous minor injuries from falling off. The trivial physical risk has made me tolerant of a small amount of physical danger in my life. I embrace it and that frees me from excess worry about what might happen if this or that activity goes a bit wrong. I'll end up with a bruised shin or a cut finger. So what! I don't worry about those small dangers.

Like you I am Welsh by choice :wink:
I prefer to do think of Rugby as a town with an interesting LNWR station and signals
I come from the top of Wales mind, the national sport there is Eisteddfod, can't remember seeing much rugby
Does seem a dangerous sport mind, come to think of it :?
I do have a book by Phil Bennett: "Everywhere for Wales", must read it sometime
My Welsh role model is Sam Tan, Fireman Sam of course, he knows ALL about danger :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And yet Norman is never locked up...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

In reply to the original post, I think the answer is "sometimes". You should ride as fast as the conditions allow (same as driving). If there are a lot of pedestrians about you should be mindful of it and reduce your speed accordingly. This also applies to shared paths like the Bristol-Bath path where I have frequently seen bikes going at speeds not appropriate for a path busy with leisure cyclists and pedestrians. If you want to race, find a quiet road out in the countryside.