A ped attempt to make me fall

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
karlt

Re: A ped attempt to make me fall

Post by karlt »

JohnW wrote: The driver got out of the cab, picked up the bike, threw it onto the pavement and kicked the kid repeatedly onto the pavement. I rode on - I wasn't going to be a witness against the driver.

I would have. The kid behaved appallingly but repeated kicks can kill and people willing to deal them out are equally a danger to the public.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

karlt wrote:
JohnW wrote: The driver got out of the cab, picked up the bike, threw it onto the pavement and kicked the kid repeatedly onto the pavement. I rode on - I wasn't going to be a witness against the driver.

I would have. The kid behaved appallingly but repeated kicks can kill and people willing to deal them out are equally a danger to the public.

Oh I agree absolutely - but it all happened so suddenly for this pick-up driver - it would have been a shock - and he may very well have been 'in shock' and acted with relief and without thinking - rather like a boiler coming to pressure and the steam has to get out. People who know will have a name for it, I can only describe it (admittedly in my ignorance) as an adrenaline rush.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:JohnW

I can see it's a fact, but that's not the point I was trying to make. It seems to me that the fact of their being on foot is incidental here; relevant to accuracy but not a big deal. I suppose in a narrative like this it's what you'd assume because walking is the default way of getting around. I'm cautious about creating another non-existent group to stereotype. They'd almost certainly have behaved in the same way no matter how they had been getting about.

Reading your immediately preceding post, you've had an incident with nuisances / delinquents who incidentally were on bikes. Mentioning is part of the narrative, not something you stressed. They certainly weren't part of a group called cyclists.

Nor am I saying this is never relevant: if we were talking about something like road safety, then all the different modes would be central to the discussion. Neither pedestrians nor cyclists are the problem.

I know what you mean tc, but how would you refer to the kid? I'd refer to him, rightly or wrongly, as a scroat - but he was a pedestrian until the incident happened and then he became a pedestrian scroat. Those who pay lip-service to political correctness would object to the word 'scroat'. I'm not claiming to be right in this - not at all - but in my ignorance I can't think of anything else. I suppose that, in the light of my objections to some riders being described as 'cyclists', and preferring to refer to them as 'idiots on bikes', 'scroats on bikes', 'motorists on bikes', I understand your viewpoint..........................but everyone on foot is a pedestrian. I suppose that the word 'ped' is disrespectful, in that it stereotypes people.

The car driver who clips one of us, or who turns right as soon as he's passed us, or who ignores traffic lights etc etc etc is a 'motorist' - but the chap at the front of on-coming traffic who stops and waves us to turn across him when we're turning right - is he a 'motorist'? - he (or she) is a different kind of person altogether. The use of words and stereotypes is fraught with difficulties :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:
Oh I agree absolutely - but it all happened so suddenly for this pick-up driver - it would have been a shock - and he may very well have been 'in shock' and acted with relief and without thinking - rather like a boiler coming to pressure and the steam has to get out.People who know will have a name for it, I can only describe it (admittedly in my ignorance) as an adrenaline rush.

Short fuse?
Idiot?
Bullying git?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Oh I agree absolutely - but it all happened so suddenly for this pick-up driver - it would have been a shock - and he may very well have been 'in shock' and acted with relief and without thinking - rather like a boiler coming to pressure and the steam has to get out.People who know will have a name for it, I can only describe it (admittedly in my ignorance) as an adrenaline rush.

Short fuse?
Idiot?
Bullying git?

Those are not terms that I would use under those circumstances - I would be better able to articulate his emotions if I had been in his shoes.