Bike Advice Required

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Bike Advice Required

Post by thirdcrank »

Loads of good advice above so I'll take a slightly different tack. Are you looking for an excuse to buy another bike? If so, none is needed (at least not on here :lol: ) This really depends on what other cycling you do or are considering. If commuting is to be the limit of your cycling, I'd say another bike won't achieve much. But, a nice bike for eg longer day rides could be ideal for commuting as a bit of a treat in summer.

I think your times sound pretty respectable. If your aim is to go faster, then that should come gradually with all your regular riding. If your aim is to save time, then you may be able to do that more effectively at the start and finish of your journey by cutting out any faffing about getting ready etc.

Clipless pedals (eg SPD) have been mentioned and overall, I think they are excellent, but I'd think carefully before switching just for commuting. They do need special shoes, unless you go for single-sided and use the backs of the pedals which is a bit self-defeating. Also, some types aren't really suitable for pedal reflectors. If you are riding after dark - inevitable if you commute all the year round - they are a tedious legal requirement. It's one that nobody bothers about, but something to be aware of.
mjr

Post by mjr »

eileithyia wrote:During the telelvised Tour of Britain stage, it was stated that riding crouched down on the hoods is more aero-dynamic than riding on the drops, so food for thought. But still reckon that a commute of around 15-16mph is perfectly adequate on a commute where you may have to take into consideration watching out for hazards; cars, peds, children, junctions, stopping and starting.....

That's probably based on http://road.cc/content/news/133598-want ... down-hoods but it's only partly supported by later research https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/which-cy ... me-blocken where the most aero "top tube safe" position uses the hoods, but you can't really pedal like that and the next four use the drops in order to get the back lower into more of a wing shape.

I agree that 15-16mph is perfectly adequate on a commute - much faster than I can average, because my time is affected more by traffic lights and junctions than my own speed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
psvrichard

Post by psvrichard »

Thanks for all the advice, it's been most interesting. My times aren't as spectacular as I thought as I've used a Garmin the last few commutes and I've discovered some interesting facts. I climb about 150ft more than I descend on an outward journey even though this contains the steepest hill. My usual average is nearer 14mph but this morning I managed 15.8mph aided by storm Aileen at my back, hindered only by a few traffic lights!

I don't think I need a new bike but will stick with what I have, it's quickish and most importantly is solid so if I fancy a cyclepath occasionally it offers flexibility.

I have an old Raleigh Dynatech that I cycled around France on in my twenties. I may renovate that and see whether that's any quicker but it will be odd using gear shifters down on the frame in addition to drop handlbars!

Happy commuting everyone and thanks for the advice.