Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Farrina

Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Post by Farrina »

Police have charged 2 people - one charge of causing death by dangerous driving and two of perverting course of justice.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-41159289
Last edited by Farrina on 25 Sep 2017, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Carol Boardman death - charges preferred

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oh {FFE - family-friendly edit }...
"Carol Boardman died after her bike collided with a pick-up truck in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, on 16 July 2016."
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It's a waste of time telling the BBC about this. They know they are not supposed to frame a comment like that after any incident, they have even said so, but they do it regardless.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A year or so ago BBC News Scotland reported that a pier had collided with a Calmac ferry........unfortunately it was corrected before I thought of taking a screenshot.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Oh {FFE - family-friendly edit }...
"Carol Boardman died after her bike collided with a pick-up truck in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, on 16 July 2016."

The BBC doesn't get any better does it? :? :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote:

I complained to them once regarding a story about a young boy who died after he collided (as a pedestrian) with a bus. No response.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This crash took the life of a human being who was also a club cyclist and the mother of a popular cycling champion, in more than one sense of the word. After a long delay, possibly partly explained by allegations of perverting the course of justice, the case is now going to court. A small bit of comfort for the bereaved and something I applaud.

IMO against that background, shoddy reporting is regrettable, but insignificant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:This crash took the life of a human being who was also a club cyclist and the mother of a popular cycling champion, in more than one sense of the word. After a long delay, possibly partly explained by allegations of perverting the course of justice, the case is now going to court. A small bit of comfort for the bereaved and something I applaud.

IMO against that background, shoddy reporting is regrettable, but insignificant.

Is it insignificant though?
Reporting is particularly shoddy where cycIists are the victim,surely a more gerenal term used by the media would be 'a collision between' until more is known by about any particular case.
I don't think voicing that in anyway diminishes the loss of life involved.

Edited for clarity
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

Is it insignificant though?
Reporting is particularly shoddy where cycIists are the victim,surely a more gerenal term used by the media would be 'a collision between' until more is known by about any particular case.

Looking at the bigger picture, miss-use of words in the media is widespread. You only have to hear the travel reports which are invariably full of incidents which are described as 'accidents'.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Farrina

Post by Farrina »

Defendants appeared at Mold Magistrates court this morning, pleading not guilty. The case was sent to Mold Crown Court for trial (next hearing date 27th October 2017)
More here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/two-court-over-crash-killed-13669837
thirdcrank

Re: Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for keeping us updated

(On the matter of media coverage, that report is inevitably brief because of reporting restrictions at the committal stage.)
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Flinders wrote:It's a waste of time telling the BBC about this. They know they are not supposed to frame a comment like that after any incident, they have even said so, but they do it regardless.

Frustrating as it is, we should always pull them up when they write in this thoughtless way. If it goes unchallenged then it will never change. It is relatively easy to make a complaint to the BBC and they don't go completely ignored. There is more chance of changing attitudes at the Beeb than say the Daily Mail :evil:
pwa

Post by pwa »

sjs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I complained to them once regarding a story about a young boy who died after he collided (as a pedestrian) with a bus. No response.

If it makes you feel any better, listening to Radio 4 I heard "was involved in a collision with...", which seemed neutral.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The trial has been in progress several days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nor ... s-44801809
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

thirdcrank wrote:The trial has been in progress several days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nor ... s-44801809

I've been following the reportage on road.cc, and the story just gets better and better (not). Horrendous and I'm really not sure how the defence are going to be able to spin away all of the sh!t that the prosecution have presented...