Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Jan 2019, 5:00pm

56 days or more ban length and you have to apply for your license. Also a retest possibly an extended retest too. Government website relevant page is the source of that.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Jan 2019, 5:45pm

Tangled Metal wrote:56 days or more ban length and you have to apply for your license. Also a retest possibly an extended retest too. Government website relevant page is the source of that.

News to me that one,got a link?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

RickH

Postby RickH » 31 Jan 2019, 6:08pm

Tangled Metal wrote:56 days or more ban length and you have to apply for your license. Also a retest possibly an extended retest too. Government website relevant page is the source of that.

You might also have to retake your driving test or take an extended driving test before getting your full licence. The court will tell you if you have to do this. (from Thirdcrank's link, my bold)

The retest is only if the court has given that as part of the sentence, not automatically.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Jan 2019, 6:10pm

thirdcrank wrote:https://www.gov.uk/driving-disqualifications

Scroll down

From that link:-
If you’re disqualified for 56 days or more you must apply for a new licencebefore driving again.

You might also have to retake your driving test or take an extended driving test before getting your full licence.The court will tell you if you have to do this.

So it's by no means certain that a disqualified has to resit their driving.

Beaten to it by Rick
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Jan 2019, 6:20pm

Here's something I prepared earlier. (Unfortunately, the link I provided in there for even more info now comes back error 404)

viewtopic.php?p=1278102#p1278102

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Jan 2019, 6:36pm

reohn2 wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-disqualifications

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Jan 2019, 7:41pm

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-disqualifications

See my previous post.
I cycle therefore I am.

ianrobo

Postby ianrobo » 1 Feb 2019, 1:16am

if you cause death by careless or dangerous driving then why is it so unreasonable to ban for life for driving ? That’s is how it seems to me ?

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 1 Feb 2019, 8:15am

I'm with Chris Boardman, for whom I now have even more admiration, he wasn't asking for retribution just to have these drivers removed from the road for a CONSIDERABLE period so that this doesn't happen again.

Mandatory 10yr ban minimum?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Feb 2019, 9:16am

The most detailed report I can find online is in the Daily Mail, which also includes a summary of the current sentencing rules including disqualification and re-testing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailed.html

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Feb 2019, 9:24am

Stradageek wrote:I'm with Chris Boardman, for whom I now have even more admiration, he wasn't asking for retribution just to have these drivers removed from the road for a CONSIDERABLE period so that this doesn't happen again.

Mandatory 10yr ban minimum?

Seems proportionate. Or some sort of lifetime spy-in-the-cab monitoring.

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 1 Feb 2019, 9:55am

Completely with Boardman on his view not to imprison but to make sure there is a driving ban. I think the driving ban should be draconian for drivers that kill.

I never thought I would say this but to enforce these bans motor vehicles should be fitted with facial recognition. The vehicle can report the facial ID and location of any new driver in the vehicle to the DVLA (via GPS/GSM) who can check against a black list of drivers. There would be no need to repeatedly send off the same drivers ID each time so this could not be used to track known drivers.

The system would also help to deter car theft.

Sorry to come across as big brother. I am just aware that many driving bans are flouted.

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 1 Feb 2019, 10:07am

Stradageek wrote:I'm with Chris Boardman, for whom I now have even more admiration...

Fair play, he really has handled himself immaculately hasn't he? God knows what his inner thoughts must be about the cretin who killed his mother.
Cycling UK Life Member

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Feb 2019, 10:40am

Spinners wrote:
Stradageek wrote:I'm with Chris Boardman, for whom I now have even more admiration...

Fair play, he really has handled himself immaculately hasn't he? God knows what his inner thoughts must be about the cretin who killed his mother.

Quite!
And being the man he is won't reveal those thoughts in public.
CB always comes across as a thoroughly decent human being as I'm sure his mother was,which is more than you say for the moron who's got off so lightly for taking her life :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Feb 2019, 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
I cycle therefore I am.