Along canal into Birmingham from about Curdworth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Annoying Twit

Along canal into Birmingham from about Curdworth

Post by Annoying Twit »

Google maps suggests that if I wish to cycle from Leicester to Birmingham that I should cycle along the canal from about Curdworth.

Is the canal towpath easily cycleable along that entire route?
Si

Re: Along canal into Birmingham from about Curdworth

Post by Si »

This week it's a bit dodgy as they are resurfacing the section coming out of Birmingham from Hanson's Bridge to Wiggin's Hill Bridge....it's passable but hard going if they've just dropped the hard core on it. When they have finished, from Wiggin's Hill Bridge into Birmingham it should be good (once the gravel settles down)......when you get under spaghetti junction (salford junction) you've a choice to get to the city centre - Birmingham and Fazeley is shortest but you have to climb up Farmer's Locks and a couple of bridges are a tad narrow.....it's OK if you are not afeared of heights or water...I use it to get into to work fine. Alternatively you can go into the city centre via the Grand Union and Digbeth Branch - this is about a mile longer but less climbing.

From Wiggin's Hill Bridge to Curdworth it's normal canal tow path - OK in the dry but can get muddy after rain. But this is a pretty short section.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks. My partner is helping out with an open day at the Birmingham Midland Institute. So, I'll cycle over, spend a small amount of time at the open day, then cycle back. (If I come over all lazy I can take the train back.)

I'll look further into your recommendations. Generally I'm not too scared of heights or water. My main concern would be 5km of unpaved towpath. I'm going to be doing about 1km this evening where they are rebuilding the path along the River Soar, and that's enough for me.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

What is it like to cycle into Birmingham along the B4114 (though, it seems to also be labelled B4116 and other numbers) from Atherstone through Coleshill, all the way into Birmingham city centre through Meadway and Boreston Green? Looking at the road on streetview, it doesn't look too bad, but is the kind of road that could be a rat run.

This would be a very straight route all the way from Market Bosworth (that I know how to get to already) with few turns and little risk of going off-course.

EDIT: More complicated route here that avoids the B4114 (etc.) from Atherstone. I'd be happy going through Sheepy Magna. Not sure I like the route through the wet bits around Marston using the A4097.
Si

Post by Si »

The bits I use are fairly OK...can get a tad busy but if you are OK with city traffic then no probs. Worst bits are probably the Chester Rd roundabout at Coleshill end and getting over the inner ring road at the city end. Certainly not as scenic as the canal!
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks. I meant to copy in a route I found on Sheffield Cyclists but somehow didn't paste the link. cycle.travel comes up with something fairly similar to the B4114/6 route. I haven't done an inter-city ride for a bit and thought it might be best to keep this one simple.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

That was the easiest to follow intercity route I've found yet. The roads were simple, and well signposted.

Then it came time to find my way THROUGH Birmingham. Oh dear. I think my route was OK, but for some reason it took ages.
Si

Post by Si »

Dont worry, even people who live in birmingham cant find their way through the middle....every time you think you have it they go and change it. They have started work on the tram extension this week and closed another bike friendly route. And riding in birmingham does feel like it takes ages as its wider than your average city, and its so grim, esp the east, that it feels like youve been riding through the same mundane greyness with the stench of overflowing bins for ages.

Of course there are nice routes into the city centre, but they can be hard to find and navigate if you are not local.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

One lady (whom I had asked for directions) offered for me to walk with her as she was going into town. I was quite surprised at this offer as it was still a long way into town, so I took directions and cycled ahead. I feel I may have been a bit rude, but it would have slowed me down considerably and I was concerned about total time. Though, in hindsight, it might have been interesting to hear what she had to say, as she was wearing a full face veil. It certainly makes me think that people in Birmingham are friendly. At another place, another woman waved at me. Though, given the way she acted, I'm 99.99% sure the reason she waved was that she mistook me for someone else.

Part of the reason I was so slow in general on the way in was stopping to ask for directions, checking and re-checking my route, and sheltering under trees during showers. Etc.