Does cycling feel more dangerous?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
1982john

Does cycling feel more dangerous?

Post by 1982john »

I've been trying to get back into cycling after taking it very easy for a few years but it feels like to me things have gotten worse on the roads. It's almost every other long ride now I have a close call. I am wondering if this is just my perception or if things have changed. Even though I take more precautions that I used too such as running a backlight and some hi vis during the day I'm either not seen or ignored.

A few reasons why I think things have got worse than say 10 years ago:

Cars themselves are undoubtedly a lot safer, better braking, impact resistance etc but has this created a sense of security for the driver so that do not need to worry so much about crashing? Every ride a car overtakes me at the wrong time causing a driver in the incoming direction having to slow down.

Cars seem to have grown in size also and there's alot more vans - which I think is down to the huge increase we've seen in delivery services. This to me has led to a lot more close passes. The worst seem to be on narrow country lanes. Cars/vans don't even slow down when coming towards me. I don't know if Im not seen or not considered worth slowing down for.

I realise this all anecdotal but wondering if others have had similar feelings?
Vorpal

Re: Does cycling feel more dangerous?

Post by Vorpal »

Traffic density makes a big difference, and over 5 years, traffic density increases noticeably.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
drossall

Post by drossall »

I still maintain that it's got better, especially since the 2012 Olympics raised the profile of cycling so much. I believe that more drivers are cyclists, or have neighbours, friends, colleagues or family who are cyclists. As a result, they pay more attention and give a bit more space when overtaking. In turn, the behaviour of those influences others to do things which are often just obeying the Highway Code, to be frank (e.g. on overtaking space again, but also paying attention when turning and so on).

I read somewhere that it only takes 30% of a population to change behaviour of the whole. Or something. So, as someone who has been riding for 40 years, I think it's improving. Even if traffic is still increasing.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It is a matter of perception. If you cycle through the years the increase in motor traffic is gradual and you tend not to notice. Take a few years away from cycling and the increase can be a shock when you return. An example, I recently made a visit to a city I lived in 30 years ago. It was shocking riding the suburban roads that used to be free flowing. Now there is a constant stream of motor vehicles and end to end parked vehicles. It being working hours, I often wonder where they are all going - but I thought that 20 years ago too.

As for danger in close passes etc and other deliberate harassment, I've not noticed an increase. Perhaps if you live in a high density city there is more of a problem, but in small town England and riding rural roads I'd say it is fine. One thing that is bad is the increase in poor riding. I put this down to people learning from the internet instead of riding with clubs.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

How far is a "long" ride? Some of my long rides would be short for many. I think time of day and also time of year affects how people drive. Traffic seems to be very heavy in September when schools start again and many aren't on holiday.

How narrow is a narrow lane? If it's barely wide enough for two cars I usually ride well out and then when conditions are suitable let the vehicle go by.

However government policy is to encourage more cars to be built as it's good for the economy. More cars means more need for bypasses which means more jobs and that's good for the economy. So until someone has a vision to actually spot the flaw in this policy, motor traffic will continue to increase. The only thing that hasn't been fixed is where to put cars when they aren't being driven; the pavements are becoming full.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I'd agree that the roads are busier and lunatic manoevers abound and when I've returned from a short break this always seems worse.

My failing is to let the nervousness push me closer to the curb - ride assertively, in primary position a lot of the time, and most of the problems go away.

As for the lunatic manoevers, and very ocassional abuse, I just laugh them off these days - why let it spoil a nice ride

Riding a recumbent is also a brilliant ploy, wakes up sleeping drivers especially as most of them will think you're disabled :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

MikeF wrote:The only thing that hasn't been fixed is where to put cars when they aren't being driven; the pavements are becoming full.

On my street, cars routinely drive on the pavement rather than wait for a break in oncoming traffic.

More generally, I do think that anti-cyclist bile and aggression is more common.

I recently rolled (very slowly, below walking pace) through an empty pelican crossing just about to turn green (so I could turn immediately left and get out of the way of the queue of traffic behind me). First driver in the queue responded by accelerating aggressively to get to me before I turned and shouted foul mouthed abuse at me for jumping the light through his passenger window. Bizarre.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Having ridden almost continuously since 1979 am not sure it is any worse. Yes the roads are far busier, but am not sure the number of close passes etc., are any worse, maybe a bit more conscious at times with all the publicity of what is happening and why I carry a camera these days.
I drive a van, so please do not tar us all with the same brush :lol: but the advantage of a van is often you can see over hedges and across corners and are able to what is coming hence why they do some of the passes they do. Don't forget those delivery drivers often have a lot of pressure on how many units they deliver... so maybe employers are to blame. A few years back my uncle drove hire cars for a national company, returning them to their hire point of origin for one way rentals etc... the time schedules they were given meant they had no choice but to speed on motorways..

Rather than focus on the bad passes, try to focus on all the vehicles that give you respect, pass wide enough etc., they are far more numerous than the close passes, just the negative driving tends to colour your perception.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Si

Post by Si »

I don't feel that it has got more dangerous in terms of near misses and people not seeing me, etc.

But I do feel that there is a lot more abuse directed at cyclists. e.g. if you ride in such a way as to deter them from trying to squeeze past in a narrow gap, rather than waiting patiently for a few seconds they'll be on the horn, f'ing and blinding out the window, etc.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I think round here it's just a little bit worse than it used to be (rural and small town). But the general level of mindless hostility to cyclists in the media has certainly got very much worse over the years, as has the acceptability by people in general of casual anti-cyclist talk.

People who don't know I am a cyclist, and who in other ways are apparently sane and law-abiding, make casual and unprovoked remarks about cyclists in general conversation which if they were said about an ethnic group would be defined by the same people at the least as racist, and at the worst as admissions of and/or incitement to violence.

I think that attitude not being called out does transfer to people's behavior on the road when they drive.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not at the speeds I go at :D
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

1982john wrote:Cars themselves are undoubtedly a lot safer, better braking, impact resistance etc but has this created a sense of security for the driver so that do not need to worry so much about crashing?

I can't cite it but I read of a study years ago that found no reduction in crashes with the widespread adoption of ABS in cars. Risk compensation is a big deal and it's amazing, even shocking, that it isn't more widely considered given how safety-obsessed our society is.

Even so I suspect a bigger deal is how quiet and smooth modern cars are. When you barely feel like you are moving some are bound to be lulled into a false sense of security. I had my first motorway ride in a landrover a while ago. You could feel the wind whistling through the cracks and had to shout to be heard.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

MikeF wrote:How far is a "long" ride? Some of my long rides would be short for many. I think time of day and also time of year affects how people drive. Traffic seems to be very heavy in September when schools start again and many aren't on holiday.

How narrow is a narrow lane? If it's barely wide enough for two cars I usually ride well out and then when conditions are suitable let the vehicle go by.

However government policy is to encourage more cars to be built as it's good for the economy. More cars means more need for bypasses which means more jobs and that's good for the economy. So until someone has a vision to actually spot the flaw in this policy, motor traffic will continue to increase. The only thing that hasn't been fixed is where to put cars when they aren't being driven; the pavements are becoming full.

Long ride for me is about 3 hours. Ive been cycling during the day. I'm a teacher myself so that luxary has finished now!

By narrow I mean two cars would not pass if one didnt make an effort to move. I might try your system it feels risky tho if they dont see you?

Yes until we get some system of driverless cars density is going to be a major issue. With no price increase in motor fuel duty for 8 years things are not going to get any better.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Randy_Butternubs wrote: I had my first motorway ride in a landrover a while ago. You could feel the wind whistling through the cracks and had to shout to be heard.
Lucky it wasn't raining otherwise you may have got wet as well. :lol: (I've driven them for many miles).

I think cycling gives you a sense of speed, which most car drivers don't have. 30mph is fast on a bike but it isn't perceived as that in a car. After all Alliston was riding furiously at 18mph. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

drossall wrote:I still maintain that it's got better, especially since the 2012 Olympics raised the profile of cycling so much. I believe that more drivers are cyclists, or have neighbours, friends, colleagues or family who are cyclists. As a result, they pay more attention and give a bit more space when overtaking. In turn, the behaviour of those influences others to do things which are often just obeying the Highway Code, to be frank (e.g. on overtaking space again, but also paying attention when turning and so on).

I agree with your hypothesis that more cyclists will make people more aware but I wonder if the benefits from Olympics have been quite localised? I dont cycle much in the south but when I do there's a lot of cyclists. Where I am, in the West mids, I only see a couple of other leisure cyclsts in 2 hours riding during the week. It does get busier on a sunday.